  1) RE: Which battery terminals would be at least satisfactory in my specific
application?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Low efficiency with light loads
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: because it makes sense to do so
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Multi charger.
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Battery Pack Heating
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Battery Pack Heating
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Testing for Isolation
        by "Bill Dennis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Dual Motors to FWD axles - Anyone done it ??
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: bridge rectifier, motors an' stuff
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Multi charger.
        by "Chris Brune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Battery Pack Heating
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Testing for Isolation
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Testing for Isolation
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Dual Motors to FWD axles - Anyone done it ??
        by "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Taking the plunge (buying my first EV)
        by Stefan Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Taking the plunge (buying my first EV)
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Low efficiency with light loads
        by "Robert Chew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Poor-Boy'N It
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Multi charger.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) ev list
        by robert phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Battery Pack Heating
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Poor-Boy'N It / lawn mower
        by "steve clunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Japanese EV-Bike
        by "Mike Ellis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: Multi charger.
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 25) Re: bridge rectifier, motors an' stuff

Concorde makes adapters to either automotive posts or "L"/flag posts
from the threaded insert ("T" type posts):

<http://www.concordebattery.com/chair_main.php>

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.  Concorde's threaded insert
terminals/posts come accepting either 6mm or 8mm bolts, but they only
offer one style of adapters, so either the adpaters fit either, or they
may only fit the more common (for Concorde) 8mm threaded terminals.
Best to check with Concorde before buying.

If you search around, you may find others, though adapters to/from the
GM-style side terminals (3/8-18 threaded) are far more common.

Before buying any adapters, you might want to ask yourself what type of
batteries you expect to install "for real", and only bother with
adapters if the real batteries will have automotive posts to mate with
your existing cables.  If the real batteries will (likely) have either
threaded insert or flag terminals, then it is probably more sensible
(and cheaper) to change the cable ends to appropriate lugs now.

>   -a box of cabling and interconnects that was donated and
> which I'd like to use consists of 2 AWG and 4 AWG sizes.

These are inadequate for most road going EVs of this voltage; at the
132-144V pack range, you are likely to be drawing a few hundred to
several hundred amps very frequently to continuously (e.g. at speed you
may be cruising at 100A or more, and routinely drawing 400-500A+ on
acceleration or hills).  You really want cables of about 2/0; if you had
free 1/0 cables you might try them, but 2ga and 4ga are, I think, just
asking for trouble (especially if these are some "premade" battery
cables, not specifically made for EV use).

Hi Robert,

> Coming back from the shopping center the acceleration periods
> were shorter, used 418 Whrs and to the motor was 238.67 Whrs.

When you mentioned at the Sydney AEVA meet that the controller efficiency was
lower on the way back, I didn't realise you meant this low.

57% efficiency suggests measurement error. You're unlikely to have burnt up
nearly as much energy in the controller as it took to move your vehicle over
the test distance.

Or looking at it another way -- if you were using water to cool your
controller, the inefficiency loss the figures suggest would be enough energy to
bring around 2 litres of room temp. water to the boil, in just this short trip.

Want another pair of eyes to double check?

Cheers,
Claudio

A lot of what wallmart does is almost a consignment store.

You the manufacture almost rent shelf space, If it doesn't move, you get
to buy it out the front register on your way out to let someone else
have your shelf space.

ps home depot, lowes, etc too

So if we can come with a salable product it is up to us ?

But this does give me a better idea, what about at a costco?

From: "Rich Rudman"

> Now I am sure somebody is going to tell me they have
> thousands of miles on a AGM pack with modular chargers.
> There is only one that I know of.. John Bryan??? You still out there??
> But... this sure is the exception to the rule.

Hello Rich and All,

    I'll start off by saying that I have a huge amount of respect for
Rich and all that he's doing with charging systems. As far as the Ghia
is concerned, it's still running like a champ, the batteries will soon
be twelve years old. The range and peak power have dropped, but
it can probably still manage 20 miles. I keep hoping Rich will make some
"additive regs" (charging regs) to go with his PFC series. Nothing
fancy, like 2 amps or so.

> I still think the Modular chargers have a weak point and that is the Failure
> rate gets  multiplied by the number of units running.
> We tried this  on this list.. and had some pretty serious failures...

    In that case, it was the chargers, not the concept itself. The chargers
were defective, but they still managed to ruin the reputation of multiple
chargers forever. Well, maybe just until our current generation has died off.
Lmao! These chargers would put in 1 Ah, then overheat, drop the
current until it triggered the "finished" current level and shut off. This all
happened before the external surfaces even got hot. Since they were
solidly potted, nothing could be done to correct it. The whole thing was
a bit crazy, since they were so powerful that you couldn't plug very many
of them into a single outlet. We were trying to do the whole charging job
with just the individual chargers. Needing to come up with something to
get my EV on the road soon, I decided to go with low powered
individual chargers along with a series charger for bulk and finish.

    Lee said

> I'm thinking the same thing. EV chargers will evolve toward a big, dumb,
> cheap, bulk charger; and a bunch of individual low-power modules that
> will attend to each battery.

    That's what the Ghia has in it.. I'm rarely in a hurry to charge, so
I usually just use the individual chargers for all of the charging, except for
a brief high voltage finish/eq. The number of hours I have racked up on those
individual chargers must be staggering. I often leave them on for days at a
time.

    Dennis (Killowatt) Berube said

> Rich do not forget I also use modular chargers,Thats why I got 375 cycles on
> the Inspira battery while others were getting 10-20 cycles.  Dennis Berube

    Dennis can be a bit secretive at times, but little comments I've seen him
make
here and there over the years has given me the impression that him and I are
probably on the same page battery wise.

....John

I need suggestions for a heating system for my pack. I would like to
use the orange silicone sheets, but they are hard to find in any length
and are pricey. There are these home gutter or pipe heating cables that
look good. They are around 5 watts per foot in 120vac or 240vac
versions.

The only car I know that has a heated pack runs about 500-600 watts for
the 1200lb pack. So that's about 2 lbs per watt. It takes most of 25
hours to get the pack to the 30c-40c range. The system can hold it
there with ease. It's usually heating during charging, but can be
turned on any time.

So I need ideas for how to heat this pack, and where to get the
materials.

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

I use 7 battery warmers.  They are very similar to in floor radiant heaters,
but (suprisingly) much cheaper.  Not sure what area of the country you live
in, but they may be able to be purchased off the shelf if you live in
Montana, or ordered through a auto supplier if you live in Southern
California.

I have read that the optimal temp for PbA is 25 deg C (Buchman Battery
University and other).  30-40 deg C it too high.  Best to investigate this
before setting the thermostat.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

[...]

Lee,
  I did what I think you recommended, but I'm not sure what it's telling me.
The charger was neither plugged into the wall nor attached to the batteries.
I put the multimeter on the Ohms setting, touched one lead to the AC ground
and the other lead to one of the DC outputs.  The meter immediately showed a
couple megaohms, then within three seconds, climbed to 30 megaohms, then
when to 0L.

Does this mean that the AC and DC are actually connected, maybe through a
capacitor that's charging, and thus not isolated?

Thanks.

From: "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: Low efficiency with light loads
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:19:08 +1000

Hi Robert,

> Coming back from the shopping center the acceleration periods
> were shorter, used 418 Whrs and to the motor was 238.67 Whrs.

When you mentioned at the Sydney AEVA meet that the controller efficiency was lower on the way back, I didn't realise you meant this low.

57% efficiency suggests measurement error. You're unlikely to have burnt up nearly as much energy in the controller as it took to move your vehicle over the test distance.

Or looking at it another way -- if you were using water to cool your controller, the inefficiency loss the figures suggest would be enough energy to bring around 2 litres of room temp. water to the boil, in just this short trip.

Want another pair of eyes to double check?

Cheers,
Claudio

New year, new job – there's more than 100,00 jobs at SEEK http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau&_t=752315885&_r=Jan05_tagline&_m=EXT
You may want to visit the Elec-Trak club site.
Lot of information and used tractors for sale.

Dennis
Elsberry, MO

http://www.elec-trak.org/