  1) Re: Motor sizing.
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: one for the Sinclair C5 owners...
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: kelvin connection
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: one for the Sinclair C5 owners...
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: watthour meter AC side
        by Robert Lemke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) E-Volks - why all the hostility?
        by John Norton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Ev volks
        by "jmygann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: E-Volks - why all the hostility?
        by Ryan Bohm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) White Zombie Invited to LA Film Festival
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: E-Volks - why all the hostility?
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: E-Volks - why all the hostility?
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: E-Volks - why all the hostility?
        by Mike & Paula Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Ev volks
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Regen - as a 'brake'
        by "Jorg Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: one for the Sinclair C5 owners...
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Zilla DAQ values
        by Otmar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: one for the Sinclair C5 owners...
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: E-Volks - why all the hostility?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Central Battery clamper/regulator board
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: watthour meter AC side
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 21) RE: kelvin connection
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: watthour meter AC side
        by "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: voltage limit 144
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: watthour meter AC side
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) RE: watthour meter AC side
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) RE: one for the Sinclair C5 owners...
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: watthour meter AC side
        by "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Dual tire marks seen on Lyons' roads as of late...
        by "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re-rating motors
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Also, Taurus is Wrong-wheel drive (FWD)

~~If you sometimes get the sudden urge to run around naked,
drink some Windex:  It will keep you from streaking.~~

Dave

If you use a diff from a NISSAN 300zx or some other higher powered rear
wheel drive with independent rear (ford taurus)
I look forward to hearing about your C5. I was looking at buying one a while
back (needed serious work) but they dude was outrageous in his pricing...
$4K, if I recall... after he got down to pricing it out. Plus shipping.
(They sell for 70 to 900 BPS, from what I've seen.)

You've probably seen http://www.sinclairc5.com/, right?

I remember his computer. Unfortunately, I don't think the C5 was brought to
the US, except in rare cases. This car has a lot of Nerd appeal... and I
think it'd be perfect for Micro-car rallies.

Press Release, June 12, 2006
"Gone Postal", a two ton drag racing postal van from the TV show "Sucking Amps" on The Discovery Channel has been invited along with the star of the show Roderick "Wildman" Wilde to the premiere showing of "Who Killed the Electric Car" at the Los Angeles Film Festival on June 24th. The movie includes such notables as Tom Hanks, Mel Gibson, and Ed Begley Jr. Mr. Wilde was invited by Dean Devlin's production company, Electric Entertainment. Dean Devlin is most noted for such films as Stargate, Godzilla, and The Patriot.

Rod told the folks at 'Electric Entertainment' about White Zombie, and I subsequently got a very nice invitation from them as well. They seemed very interested in having White Zombie at the EVent...in their words, so 'they could showcase it'. What a great opportunity!

Rod and Tom True are making it happen and will have Gone Postal at the Event. I am having to pass on it, due to work related travel to Alaska and quite honestly, because I am still paying off the trip costs from the recent 4300 mile ill-fated trek to Illinois and back with the car :-( Had I only known about the anti EV Vortex canceling the High Voltage Nationals in advance, I would have saved my vacation time and money for this!

I sent a response back to Electric Entertainment (what a great company name) telling them I couldn't make the EVent, and I thanked them for the invite. It's an honor to have been asked :-)

I get back from Alaska to arrive in Seattle on Friday the 23rd, so I can meet up with my car (thanks to Roy LeMeur who will be hauling it up from Portland with my Jeep and trailer) at the BIG Seattle Greenwood Car Show early the next Saturday morning, coincidentally on the same date (June 24th) as the LA Film Festival debut of 'Who Killed the Electric Car'. Any EVers within striking distance of Seattle are invited to stop by the SEVA electric vehicle display and say 'hello'.

Let's all wish Rod and Tom well, and hope they can rub shoulders with some of LA's movers and shakers.

See Ya......John Wayland

> I don't have any connection or financial interest here, either, but it
> seems odd that a crowd that gets excited over the mention in passing of
> electric vehicles in a movie review goes all medieval on someone
> actually selling EVs.
>
> What am I missing?

Anything that gets folks driving more EVs is great, but if newbies get
pissed at the whole idea because of their "lowest common denominator"
kits, it's the opposite effect of a passing mention in the media.
Whatever anyone's opinion, higher resistance from bolt-on battery lugs
and an aircraft starter/generator that wastes 10-20% more than newer
series or shunt motors doesn't bode well for efficiency.

Hello John,

John Norton writes:
> I find the thread on e-volks interesting.

As did I, but I didn't find it hostile. Quickly re-scanning the thread, imho it
seems like a pretty balanced discussion overall. If nothing else, it looks
positively tame compared to some other discussions around here :-)

> What am I missing?

/shrugs  Perhaps only that, like with anything else, different people have
different views, in this case on what constitutes an acceptable minimum
standard for an EV conversion, and hold them strongly?  Unsurprisingly,
particularly when some have vested interests in arguably better and more
expensive solutions -- and I say that void of any negative connotation (rather,
that if they did not hold such views their interests would lie elsewhere).

I understand that there's also been a history of snake oil operations in the EV
past, and rising gas prices are sure to bring more out of the woodwork. Having
a skeptical and critical attitude toward relatively new and unknown players
sounds like a normal initial reaction; there's no reason why that should
prevent anyone from changing their mind when presented with evidence to the
contrary.

Cheers,
Claudio

But reading on this list at least informs would be converters what they're
getting into.  I went all out (well almost) on all the premium parts for my
first conversion because I didn't want, as you mention, be "pissed" because
it didn't perform.  Now from reading this list I knew just what to expect
from the vehicle I did put together.  Mine performs exactly like I figured
from doing many comparisons. I think with the info I've read here I could
put together a conversion with my same requirements for half the price.
What I would be giving up would only be off the line acceleration.  If I use
a $180 motor thats only 15% less efficient than mine, I can still get my
range by not hot footing it.  I waste more than 15% of my range by burning
the tires from stop sign.  The clincher is the price.  The motor may be 15%
less efficient but it costs 90% less than the one I bought.  Same goes for
the contoller, batteries and charger. The point is they cater to the crowd
that doesn't want to drag race their EV.  They don't claim to make tire
burners.  And who says that if someone built one and wasn't happy with
performance they couldn't start upgrading pieces at a time until they got
the performance they were looking for.  Or they could buy the cheap kit, and
use the tips and tricks gleaned from this list to spruce it up a bit for
another very minimal charge, so to speak.  I don't think the media cares one
way or another.  I've never seen an article that says builder Bob down the
street converted a car to electric "and it sucks".  Most are fair siting
limited range which is a very real problem for many.  Anyway, why bash 'em
for doing the good work.  I don't EVen know them but I bet they do it
because they enjoy it.  If you buy their kit and don't like the results,
thats your fault, you should have built a better car.  But if you buy it and
it suits yur needs, then you just got a really good deal.  Thats true with
anything in the market.

Mike,

> Death wrote:
> Anything that gets folks driving more EVs is great, but if newbies get
> pissed at the whole idea because of their "lowest common denominator"
> kits, it's the opposite effect of a passing mention in the media.
> Whatever anyone's opinion, higher resistance from bolt-on battery lugs
> and an aircraft starter/generator that wastes 10-20% more than newer
> series or shunt motors doesn't bode well for efficiency.

> My needs were/are for an affordable LOW SPEED vehicle to travel to
> and arround town. I decided on an electric vehicle but wanted it to
> be street legal and not an NEV or LEV or golf cart.
>
> The vehicle is not pristine ....  http://tinyurl.com/oqp3g
>
> but then my other car is a 2 door metro (45mpg) that I paid $300
> for

If you knew what you were getting into, it's perfectly fine to go this
route. I think more people should be driving well-tuned beaters!

> The other day I hooked a trailer to it and hauled some sheets of
> plywood home.

Now *that's* appropriate technology! Using a trailer for big loads
would eliminate some drivers' arguments for driving pickup trucks, and
if you drive an SUV because you frequently need to seat 6 or 7 people,
how about a minivan or common station wagon with a 3rd row seat?

> Someday I may go to 60 or 72 volts but for now 45mph and range of 25
> miles is just right.
>
> So if someone wanted to spend $180 for a surplus motor and figure
> out the adapter, the rest of the parts are readily available

A $145 adapter plate is not bad, but some converters might want to
replace that generator with a more efficient motor with different bolt
pattern. If your car fulfills your needs, you probably aren't worried
about this.

On 5/22/06, Stefan T. Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Michael Perry wrote:
> I agree with you there, Peekay. Most folks don't coast their cars. I
sort of
> got in the habit of doing that in my ICE, though, where possible. It's
> amazing how far a car will coast. I don't kid myself that it's saving
any
> money coasting, but it's sort of a challenge. <g>

I wouldn't say that... if you coast one quarter of the time driving
around town (easy enough once you get into the habit), you're reducing
mileage on the transmission by that amount. And those things have
specific lifetimes.

It's more than that.

I was curious late one night (early the next morning, really) about this,
and I drove about 40 miles doing nothing but accelerating up to 70, and then
putting the car into neutral and coasting with the engine off until it got
back down to 50 again.  It boosted my mileage quite a bit - 26 mpg instead
of 22.  (The car had a mileage-so-far feature that I reset prior to trying
all this)

Of course, the only reason I could do that was because there were no other
cars on the road.  Had I done it during normal hours, I'm sure I'd have been
honked off the road.

Also, there are people who get a kick out of driving their Prius so they
average more than 100mpg.  It's much the same: you accelerate for a little,
then coast for a long time, then accelerate a little, etc etc.  It's
described as "Pulse and Glide", the article is at:

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/news/a/100mpgrecord.htm

Well, that was a waste of time...

I had a tip-off that there was one in a local yard for £40. I turn up and sure enough, there's one there, at £40 condition. The tires were flat, the front faring was slightly bent, the left brake was bust, the key was missing (though it was a dual battery model) and it was really filthy.

But, the guy had a tag on it of £325!!! The guy was obviously smoking pot or something when he made up that figure (no disrespect to those who partake of course - it's a free world!!!)

Anyway - he wouldn't shift even though I told him the C5's real value. It's apparently been there a long time and I expect it will stay there a while at that price. Still, at least I now know it's a no-brainer!

Onwards now with the calculations for the Eminor, but first a quick question for the Canadian/American guys....

I want to keep my standard tires on the minor, but I'm worried that 155/80 R14 are going to be a pain to get hold of... Anyone got any comments?

Nikki

On 15 Jun 2006, at 03:37, Michael Perry wrote:

[...]

At 8:57 PM -0800 5/30/06, Mike & Paula Willmon wrote:

Q2: I read several posts back about the typical Pot Box input values for the
Hairball2 and was wondering what the typical values are for the HEPI?  I
have an idle value of 0x3A and a full throttle value of 0xE2.    It seems
that I don't see current start to flow until the accelerator input is around
0x51.  This represents a very slight depression of the pedal.  I read where
you stated the Pot Box input at full throttle input should be around 0x9F.
Does this mean the difference between 0x9F and my HEPI max of 0xE2 is wasted
throw on the pedal?  This represents about half the pedals' throw.

Thanks
Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Sorry for the long delay in replying to this. I just happen to be working on this code today and so had a chance to verify values. My previous statement that full throttle is at 9F is incorrect. It's actually D4.

New correct pot data is this:
Pot input values for 5K input:
These are also valid for the first value when using the HEPA.
Low pot, 0x47
High pot lockout, 0xF6
Drive start 0x61
Full throttle 0xD4  (corrected Wed 06/14/06)

hth,
--
-Otmar-
914 EV, California Poppy,

http://www.CafeElectric.com/
The Zilla factory has moved to Corvallis Oregon.
Now accepting resumes. Please see:
http://www.cafeelectric.com/jobs.html

Nikki,

I checked and at the moment there are 7 C5 for sale in The
Netherlands at the "Marktplaats.nl" site.
No doubt in the UK there should be a comparable number
being offered.
Prices for good, clean running ones start at Euro 350.

For availability of a specific tire size or type, I usually
check online with (for example) The Tire Rack:
http://www.tirerack.com/
Click on "Tires by size" and fill out the fields to see
>that they do not have this size< (bummer).
So I googled and found the UK company AutoSock specifying
a 155/80-R14 tire. http://www.autosock.co.uk/ASsizeX.html
Also TireSite (UK) has this tire size from Nankang and Toyo:
codes 1558014NANKANG and 1558015TOYO310

With this info you may be able to either find a supplier
in N-America or ship a new set of tires with your car.

Success,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

I had a tip-off that there was one in a local yard for £40. I turn up
and sure enough, there's one there, at £40 condition. The tires were
flat, the front faring was slightly bent, the left brake was bust,
the key was missing (though it was a dual battery model) and it was
really filthy.

But, the guy had a tag on it of £325!!! The guy was obviously smoking
pot or something when he made up that figure (no disrespect to those
who partake of course - it's a free world!!!)

Anyway - he wouldn't shift even though I told him the C5's real
value. It's apparently been there a long time and I expect it will
stay there a while at that price. Still, at least I now know it's a
no-brainer!

Onwards now with the calculations for the Eminor, but first a quick
question for the Canadian/American guys....

I want to keep my standard tires on the minor, but I'm worried that
155/80 R14 are going to be a pain to get hold of... Anyone got any
comments?

Nikki

On 15 Jun 2006, at 03:37, Michael Perry wrote:

> I look forward to hearing about your C5. I was looking at buying
> one a while
> back (needed serious work) but they dude was outrageous in his
> pricing...
> $4K, if I recall... after he got down to pricing it out. Plus
> shipping.
> (They sell for 70 to 900 BPS, from what I've seen.)
>
> You've probably seen http://www.sinclairc5.com/, right?
>
> I remember his computer. Unfortunately, I don't think the C5 was
> brought to
> the US, except in rare cases. This car has a lot of Nerd appeal...
> and I
> think it'd be perfect for Micro-car rallies.

What hostility?  Who's angry?  Have I missed something here?

As I said in my initial comments, I wish them well.  As long as the buyers
understand the limitations of the EV they're buying, they provide a worthwhile
service.

I do think they're missing out on a larger potential customer base because of
their website.  Most people would probably agree.  Some other respondents
remarked that "you get what you pay for."  That's pretty hard to deny, too.

I think the discussion has actually been pretty genial.  I'll admit, there are
few people on this list - just a few- who DO make like attack dogs when it
comes to beating up ideas and EVs that don't meet their personal standards.
 However, none of them has weighed in on this - yet.  ;-)

I hope this clarifies things.

David Roden
EV List Assistant Administrator

If you reply using the address above, your mail may not reach me.  For
private replies, concatenate the mailname evadm, the second level domain
drmm, and the top level domain net.

Thanks Lee. You are always alot of help :)

Mike

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mike Phillips wrote:
> > This central clamper board idea has two phases...
>
> Ok; sounds good. It sounds like you have a reasonable plan. Best
> wishes!
> --
> Ring the bells that still can ring
> Forget the perfect offering
> There is a crack in everything
> That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
> --
> Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

This seems to be the first answer I've found that will handle 240 Volts and
OVER 20 Amps.

The price is a bit high, but not unreasonable at ($234+$39)

http://www.electricitymetering.com/category/detail.scd-pscdrv230100276-selectedzq19zq2scdrv230100401-selectedzq19zq2scdfa-230100401-selectProduct-idzq36zq4category_idzq315zq1true

Ben

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Try alpha wire PN 1243/2C (2 pair individualy sheilded per pair + over sheild) or 2466C (both pair in the same sheild (watch out for crosstalk))

more info http://www.alphawire.com/pages/234.cfm

Digikey stocks 2466C.

BTW,
22 gage wire is rated for 7A in a chassis or 0.92A as a power cord. 16 Ohms / 1000 ft

Later,
Wire

From: Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: kelvin connection
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 19:54:33 -0700

I understand I don't need special wire, but I saw an installation once
that had what looked like a single cable. On closer inspection it was
power and sense in one insulation. It looked like a clean installation
and was wondering if anyone knows where the heck to get it?

Can anyone explain why a message I posted on 5th June takes  9 days to
appear on the list - other messages I post don't seem to get to the list at
all and yet others appear quickly.

Is there an "extra" time delay for European posters ??

John
14th June
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Luck Home" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I remember seeing a thread on this subject a while ago. In the UK we have
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=watt%20hour%20meter&ModuleNo=38343&doy=5m6
but I think there is a USA version too - made in China of course.

Does anyone recomend an AC side WattHour Meter?

I am specifically looking for something that I can mount on the car so I
can accurately track input power wherever I charge.

There must be something panel mount, but no catalogs nor websites turn
anything up.

Thanks for any leads.

Ben

believed to be clean.

The Warp and the AvDc are basicly the same motor. Buildt by differnt folks.

The Warp give you a little better cost benifit ratio.

John Wayland won't be using Field weakening again this year.. too much brush
carnage.Messing with field strengths is a carefull adjustment and test
thing.
Not blast it to bits and then sweep up the peices.
Maybe at 28 to 48 volts but not at 360 and 2000 amps.

The motors are wound for the 48 volt for lower voltages, The high voltage
motors seam to be the same build from 96 volts and up. We have seen the
exact same motor badged from 96 to 156.
So.. What changes??? We don't know. The have the same case, Comm and field
turns.  Pretty much the same motor then.

Rich Rudman
Manzanita Micro