  1) RE: Controller Simulations (Was RE: FasTrack 0-60 mph Data)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Controller Simulations (Was RE: FasTrack 0-60 mph Data)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: DC Motor torque calculations
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: Controller Simulations (Was RE: FasTrack 0-60 mph Data)
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) "DC Inverter" heat pump
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) "More Electric Vehicles"
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) hot climate performance??
        by mike phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: DC Motor torque calculations
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: hot climate performance??
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EV digest 5618
        by "David Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: hot climate performance??
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Electrics Wow the PIR Crowd Friday Night! (pt. 1)
You can safely merge on a freeway with >any< vehicle that
can reach a 60-ish speed.
You just need more room and better timing if you have a
vehicle that needs more time to come up to that max speed.
Otherwise the large trailer trucks would neven make it onto
the freeway.
My truck needs a long time to come up to speed, so I hate it
when a SUV accelerates to overtake me, swerves in front of me
and brakes sharply to merge onto the (full) off-ramp.
I usually stay in the "truck" lane (nr 3 on the 4-lane 101)
Only when the normal lanes are slowing down and the carpool
lane is still moving will I go to the "fast" lane and merge into
the nr 2 if there is a queue behind me.
I am usually less than 6 miles on the freeway.
I sometimes take the Expressway instead (a local invention,
it is an arterial road with 50 MPH limit), though speeds are
often above 60 and it only has 2+2 lanes and enough traffic
lights to make it drain my batteries much faster than a
constant 55 to 60 on the Freeway.
BTW, my truck weighs about 4900 lbs and has a 50 kW motor
but at higher speeds the back-EMF and inductance limit the AC
current, so the power is limited to about 30 kW.
Because this is a fixed-gear setup, there is not much that
I can do about it, except for increasing the pack voltage.

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

From: steve clunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, July 3, 2006 9:32 am

[...]

Perusing eBay, I found an item that brought up a few questions.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280003104238 is a heat pump
that uses a "DC inverter", so it rectifies 120VAC, smooths its out to DC, then
runs it through a 3-phase inverter. If you could jump to just DC input
(especially a range of DC voltages), it might make a nice candidate for cooling
and heating a conversion.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- A friend of mine who is registered with the IEE (in the UK) sent me this this morning in an email. I haven't watched it all yet, but the tip here is to fast forward in the presentation to about 14 12 minutes since the first bit of the broadcast seems to be the admin guy setting up the webcam!

http://www.iet.tv/search/index.html?spres=4615

The IEE says "The presentation encompasses a brief overview of on- going more-electric-vehicle research at the University of Manchester. It aims to highlight the key themes common to autonomous and semi- autonomous electric systems research: the need for energy storage, systems integration, and the growing importance of systems modelling tools." It's given by Dr Mike Barnes from Manchester University.

Nikki

I hope this isn't such an elementary question it's beneath people to answer,
  but what happens to the performance, range, life, etc of an EV when operated
  in Phoenix, Arizona conditions? (temps from 110-120 fahrenheit 4 months
  out of every year)

  Thanks,

  MP

ALL cars allow idling, the ICE does it, so if you
make the electric motor idle, it will work.
Both with automatic and manual transmission.
I did not say it is going to be efficient....

Personally, I am only looking at manual transmission cars...

On 5 Jul 2006 at 1:15, mike phillips wrote:

> what happens to the performance, range, life, etc of an EV when operated
>   in Phoenix, Arizona conditions?

Obviously cooling is an issue, for the motor and the controller.  But for
the typical commuter EV, the most annoying problem IMO is the hit in battery
cycle life.  High operating temperatures are quick death for nicad and NiMH
batteries, and will significantly shorten the life of lead batteries.  I
don't know about the effect on Lithium batteries.

My Solectria Force lived its first years in Arizona, as an APS employee.
Motor and inverter overheating weren't much of a problem, but its early 12v
flooded marine battery packs (various brands) seldom lasted through a
summer.  I think the average life was around 9 months.  The Hawkers did
better - about 2 years, IIRC.

Seems to me that GM's EV unit decided not to even try the NiMH EV-1 in AZ.
In CA they routed the air-con into the battery tunnel.  (The battery
ventilation on that car was apparently not too well designed.)  Someone
please correct me if I'm wrong about that.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator

----- Original Message ----- From: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>