  1) battery box clearance
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: hot climate performance??
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) NEDRA to attend RPM Show at Indy
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Comparing batteries - was Re: Valence Technology Batteries
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: battery box clearance
        by Dave Cover <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Electravan emblem needed
        by Rocky Lear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Electrics Wow the PIR Crowd Friday Night! (pt. 1)
        by "Mike Phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: DC Motor torque calculations
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Mk3 Reg specs
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Comparing batteries
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Defending EVs - WKTEC
        by Dave Muse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: "DC Inverter" heat pump
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: battery box clearance
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: "More Electric Vehicles"
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: battery box clearance
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Hosing down batteries
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: DC Motor torque calculations
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Hacked Old Mail Truck
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) re: hot climate performance??
        by Jimmy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) NEDRA to attend RPM Show at Indy
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
I'm planning the new battery box for my car,
probably using (for now) the existing one,
which is set into the floor of the trunk, and
just make a plastic cover.   I understand that there
should be some space around the sides to allow for
a bit of expansion, but what about above the batteries?

I plan to have an exhaust fan, so I'm wondering
how much space I need above the batteries for
air flow.  Also, would it help to have room for
airflow below or on the sides?

Also, I read on this list two things -
1. It's good to set the batteries in a bed of
Baking Soda (ok, I understand)
2. It's good to have a watertight battery box
with a drain, and wash the batteries.
(ok, I understand)

...and he asked, "But they can't both be right!?"
...and they answered: "You're right also!"

Thanks
Seth

Ripped from Wikipedia:

"At a 100% charge level, a typical Li-ion laptop battery that's full most of the time at 25 degrees Celsius, will irreversibly lose approximately 20% capacity per year. This capacity loss begins from the time it was manufactured, and occurs even when the battery is unused. Different storage temperatures produce different loss results: 6% loss at 0 °C, 20% at 25 °C, and 35% at 40 °C. When stored at 40% charge level, these figures are reduced to 2%, 4%, 15% at 0, 25 and 40 degrees Celsius respectively."

But on the other hand warm batteries have more capacity than cold ones. This is especially true of lead acid batteries, gelled or flooded.

Dany

David Roden wrote:

On 5 Jul 2006 at 1:15, mike phillips wrote:

what happens to the performance, range, life, etc of an EV when operated
 in Phoenix, Arizona conditions?

Obviously cooling is an issue, for the motor and the controller. But for the typical commuter EV, the most annoying problem IMO is the hit in battery cycle life. High operating temperatures are quick death for nicad and NiMH batteries, and will significantly shorten the life of lead batteries. I don't know about the effect on Lithium batteries.