  3) Re: Wikipedia EV conversion
        by Paul Wujek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Hosing down batteries
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: New 214 MPH Electric Motorcycle
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Contactor
        by Richard Marcus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Electrics Wow the PIR Crowd Friday Night! (pt. 1)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Electrics Wow the PIR Crowd Friday Night! (pt. 1)Comments.
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) 400vdc badboy
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Hacked Old Mail Truck
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: New 214 MPH Electric Motorcycle
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Wid Re: DC Motor torque calculations, choosing accessory motor
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) White Zombie hammering
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: White Zombie hammering
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) sick PMC-25
        by Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: White Zombie hammering
        by "Peter Shabino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Electrics Wow the PIR Crowd Friday Night! (pt. 2)
Hey All

  Well nothing like inviting a bull into a china shop, ROD!
  Here's the scoop
  I was contacted by Jay of GoWheels (who was refered to me by another list
member) about doing some motor upgrades for these bikes recently.  As someone
who does his homework (at least trys) I wanted to get some outside input and
thoughts.  Having been blessed enough to have plopped into this new world via
Wayland, I've worked hard to earn my own merit, but I'm also the first to admit
that I don't know EVery damn thing either 8^ o

  Being I'm close to a gaggle of EV race legends it's nice to pick their heads
and bounce stuff off them.  Even on some black projects I like to get feedback,
it's because I want to do all I can to meet a projects goal, and because I
respect the insight.

  Well today was a real EV day, as I talked with 4 EV'ers, those being Rod, Jay
Donnaway, Matt Graham, and FT.  Being Rod had called me (more on that in
another post) I asked him to have a look at the Gowheels site and let me know
what he thought?  I come home to this thread, lmao.  Hey Rod, Paul Rever only
needed 2 lights to report the British were coming okay, lmao  8^ P  Now I doubt
any secrets were revieled (I mean he has a web site up) but I'm thinking you're
outside the secret of trust thingy for a bit Rod, LMAO!!!!

  After Rod, Jay Donnaway called whining that I didn't include the wiring
diagram for the Gamera 9 which a quick fax seemed to stop that is until he
discovered I called 2 studs the same number, hehehe, Opp's.  I still have to
load the pics but Jay has posted some up at his site of his Gamera9, I cant
wait to get the ride that's been promised 8^ )

  I had to call Matt after that to make sure he still liked me after I razzed
him last week and to see what the east coast boys were up to.  We got to talk
about WZ's last run, I then had to listen to razzing like "if the Siamese 8's
Soooo awesome how come John still has vibration, that kind of stuff, always a
treat talking with Matt.  While talking with Matt, FT called.

  I called FT back and caught up with him but also talked about the Gowheels
site (seemed Rod's been busy!, lmao harder).  Well FT told me he called
Gowheels up and talked with Jay.  FT seemed at least semi-impressed and stated
that they already build high end gas bikes through another division. I didn't
get all the poop from FT, as he's been busier than a 2 peckered goat in a field
of nannies and had to keep things short 8^ o
  I actually invited Jay from Gowheels to sign up at the list here (as I do to
any who are not) for the insight I believe this group could add.  Hey Jay if
you happen to be lurking, sorry if any "cat" has been let out of the bag.
  Being that the cat has been let out of the bag so to speak, it seems there
are already different camps as to what the performance of this might actually
be.
  Anyway, my bad, thought Rod could be trusted to be ... (stop laughing Rich!)
  Cya all

Cliff wrote:

"Does the system allow you to set the temperature
warning level?"

No it is fixed to drive an early warning light at 60C
and request disconnect or directly disconnect a
contactor at 65C.

Thanks for the tip on fans.  I will look at my temp
data and see if I have any issues and either address
them or rotate them with the tires.

"Would you be able to see which module is having high
temperature problems to tune your cooling?"

Yes, there are status LEDs on the modules.  I can also
query the BMS via CANBus.

"Kokam's pass the impact test, nail penetration test,
over heating test, crush test, over charging test"

Also progress since my last check -- good news.

"How much current can they shunt?"

Don't know -- enough I hope.  Hopefully they are
pretty uniform.  I will log data and review it.

"Will you have to do any programming or is it pretty
much 'plug and play'?"

Supposedly the BMS and charger will plug and play,
after repgrogramming the charger to go in to CAN mode
vs. automatic as I ordered it.

Good heavens Mike, don't be horrified, fix the page!

That's the way that Wikipedia was conceived, and what Rod was asking people to do.

You don't even have to fix the whole thing, just make some minor improvements, hopefully others will do the same.

Mike Ellis wrote:
I visited the page and was somewhat horrified to discover that the
first type of conversion listed was "Novelty."  Novelty also had the
biggest and the most pictures.

Next was bikes with a picture.

No pics at all for actual cars and trucks.

We can sign up and edit the page. I'd do it but I think maybe someone
with more EV cred would be a good idea.

-Mike

On 7/4/06, Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Had some extra time today so I spent some time at
wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle_conversion

It seems that almost all of the categories have very
little information and links.  I just thought the list
could contribute our collective knowlege to make this
a better resourse for those looking into EV's.
Rod

--
Paul Wujek ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) h:(905)279-5885 c:(416)892-5885
Perhaps, if you connected the hose to your neg terminal and held the

As for your body, there is still lots of insulating materials between you
and the car's batts, even if it could make a serious connection. You haven't
gotten a shock when you've taken your ICE to the 2-bit car wash, right?
(Granted, it's only 12V, but you are holding a metal wand... and a 12V batt
can still take a chunk our of a wrench dropped across the terminals.) As Lee
stated earlier, water is a very poor conductor. Any short (if there were
one) would still go between the posts... not through the water stream,
through the rubber hose, down through your body, through the tires and frame
of the vehicle, and back to the other terminal of the batt.

Hosing down your batts before servicing can save a lot of clothes. When
servicing the batts in my EV, I kept a bottle of dilute baking soda around
and wore rubber gloves. There's far more danger from the acid residue than
from the chance of shock. (Use care to not splash on your body when washing,
and ignore it if your nose itches, while servicing batts... due to corrosive
residue.)

From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: White Zombie hammering
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 23:53:51 -0500

        _______
Pack+__|B+   M+|_____________________
       |       |     _|_ diode      _|_
       |       |    _\_/_          /   \ motor
       |       |      |    Bubba   \___/   1
       | Zilla |      |______||______|
       |       |     _|_     ||      |
Pack-__|B-   M-|______|______________|
       |_______|

Yes, this would basically work. It requires some very big diodes, able
to carry the full Zilla motor current. I still wouldn't want to switch
that Bubba contactor while motor current was flowing, though -- it could
produce some nasty transients for the Zilla.

From Matt Graham:

Now I hope you feel very proud of yourself for teasing us all with "Part 1"
and no "Part 2" and references to spectacular video but no gratifying
updates to http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/videos.php. You've had your fun.

More, please.

OK, as requested....

I had left off here:

>Of course, it felt great knowing the camera crew had already got what they came for....filming an electric car take on and beat muscle >cars.

The first recharge was from generator power, so it was noisy and it took about 20 minutes. After the charge was complete and with the noise from the generator silenced, it was time for some great interviews with the film crew. I was totally impressed when 'Pixel' started into his 'on camera' dialog as he perfectly explained all things about White Zombie...no mistakes and I didn't have to make any corrections. He had been to the Plasma Boy web page and had studied everything, then memorized it all! After the photo session in the pit area was completed, out to the staging lanes they went. So did I in White Zombie.

As has happened before, because of the mid-to-low 12s the car runs, I was immediately bumped out of lane 4 over into the pro stock lane 3...argghh...trailered-in cars all tubbed, stuffed with 31 inch wrinkle walls, equipped with wheelie bars and a parachute, and running from 10’s to high 11’s. This caused me concern, as the idea was to show an electric street car ‘beating’ gas cars at the drag strip...not an electric car ‘getting beat’ by gas cars :-(

At 7:10 pm I found myself getting ready to run with a white pro stock Mustang, probably kicking out in excess of 650 hp. The crowd was into it, too. Here’s this fully beefed out fully tubbed Mustang with monster wrinkle walls, a chute, and wheelie bars, and here’s my lean little electric Datsun econobox next to it, both of us in the burnout pits. He does a heavy duty smoke show, I do an ‘OK’ one. The tires didn’t ignite the way they usually do, and instead, they just spun lazily enough that the car was shoved forward (should have never let ‘someone’ change my Zilla’s valet settings). The tires need to be spun up quickly and need to be kept spinning fast to avoid the way the car acted. Oh well...what can I say? It was a wimpy but ‘OK’ burnout.

With cameras rolling, the tree sent us on our way. To my and I bet the crowd’s surprise as well, the Zombie hung pretty well with the Mustang and at the 60 ft. mark we were neck and neck. The Mustang had a better 60 ft. time of 1.577 to my 1.671, but I got a bit of a head start with a .017 to his .109...not too bad a reaction time for having been out of the cockpit for a year! With my jump due to my reaction time, by the time were at the 60 ft. mark, as I said, we were neck and neck. The pro stock stang was ahead of me by .5 seconds in the 1/8th mile, but from the vantage point of everyone in the stands, it must have looked a lot closer than it was. Just as I was thinking I was holding my own at around 100 mph against a faster car, the high rpm vibration (mentioned in pt. 1) came on strong and it felt as if all acceleration simply halted....then, maybe two seconds later, as I see the stang pulling away, the vibration went away and acceleration resumed, but alas, it returned too late and I was crossing the finish line a second later :-( In the end, the Mustang ripped off an easy 11.213 ET to my 12.350 ET, and of course, he was clicking along at 119.09 mph while I was only going 104.73 mph. Again, it’s all captured on camera by pros, so it should look pretty cool to see an electric car hang’n with a pro stock Mustang! For me, it was pretty exciting to have turned a 12.3 at 104+ mph on the second run of the night...on the other hand, with the vibration thing returning to plague me, was this really going to be the night we’d hit the 11s, or would the car hit another performance wall?

Back in the pits, Rudman had left to go get a 60 amp dual breaker so he could safely tap into the AC mains, so it was generator time again. During and and after charging, with both a hot street electric and a hot electric bike to check out, we were inundated by racing fans absolutely blown away by electric powered machines...how cool is this?

At 8:05 PM, I was back in lane 3 wondering what I was going to be up against next, and at the same time, hoping that a low 12 or maybe even an elusive high 11 second run was awaiting me. In the staging lanes, White Zombie was a focal point. The film crew was on hand there, too. I hope they got reactions from fans and other drivers. To be honest, I can’t remember what kind of car I ran against on this, the third run of the night. Marko had difficulties running my video cam, so the only race I’ve got here at home on video, is the race between White Zombie and a strong running 12 second Subaru WRX. Anyway, suffice it to say it was some kind of muscle car from lane 3, and, that it luckily for me, it wasn’t running up to snuff. In the burnout pit I hit it hard, then suddenly realized I had forgotten to switch-on the valet mode and was proceeding to do a full powered burn (like Tim did at Woodburn ‘05 where the car shifted into parallel and did its famous arcy-sparky bit)...I immediately got out of it, so again, a wimpy burnout and tires not so sticky. This was proven with the worst 60 ft. of the night at just 1.86 and the car’s slowest ET of the night. Still, in spite of a bad launch and the high speed vibration, White Zombie posted a respectable 12.647 @ 103.96 mph vs the muscle car at 13.285 @ 104.76 mph. Another win for the electric...again, all caught professionally on camera! It’s fun to be able to say that a 12.6 was the car’s slowest run of the night :-)

Back in the pits, a surprise awaited me. Rudman had us wired! No stink’n generator. Re-charge time for the car was 7 minutes!!! Again, lots of excitement over the bike and the car, more interviews, and more fun than any EVer should be allowed to have :-) During recharge, the plug-in Todd DC-DC we had been using to keep the little 12V under hood battery juiced up, threw a few sparks and suddenly let its smoke out, so no more freshening up the 12V system's battery :-( This would come back to bite me in the ass later. Why the Todd, and not the nifty new high voltage DC-DC Chris Brune had made for me?

From Chris Brune:

Well hopefully the DC/DC worked as well as looked. ;-)

Easy answer...between long work days, traveling, and family matters that took up lots of time after work, I simply ran out of time to get the install completed. Yes, it was mounted in the car, but the wiring did not get completed in time :-( At 8:50 I caught a break when one of the pro stock cars was not ready and they instead, pitted the aforementioned hot Sube against the electric car. I had seen this silver Sube turboed four run, and it was formidable, easily running in the 12s. I got a better burnout this time and thus, got the tires heated better. Cameras rolling....White Zombie got a 1.67 60 ft. time, the Sube a not-so-great 2.048....White Zombie a 7.749 1/8th mile, the Sube an 8.144 1/8th mile....and finally, White Zombie’s ET of 12.397 @ 103.75 mph vs the Sube’s of 12.625 @ 109.05 mph. Man, I LOVE beating gas cars!

Another 7 minute re-charge and fully heated batteries, and the car was ready to run again. Hopes were diminishing about seeing an 11 second run, though, as 12.3 seemed to be ‘the wall’ on this night :-( The rear end was getting noisier, too. I was getting a little bummed and for all who’d come to see the runs, I felt I was letting them down :-(

The last race of the night, was against another pro stock car, and again, I can’t remember what type it was. At 9:33 we were in the burnout pits. Steve Kiser came onto the track, stood in front of the car, and hand-guided me to just the right spot, then I hit it. This time, it was a good burnout as I watched Steve to signal me to release the line lock. He gave the go-ahead wave, I released the line lock, and kept the hammer down as White Zombie scorched out of the water box still churning the rear meats. Hopefully, it looks as good on video as it felt in the car! On launch the car pulled an identical 1.67 60 ft. time to the previous run, ran a 7.732 1/8th mile, and netted another 12.3 run, precisely, a 12.350 @ 104.73 mph. Yeah, I got beat with the other guy running an 11.513 @ 115.62 mph, but again, from the stands the race probably looked pretty close as White Zombie hangs in there for the 1/8th mile portion against these more powerful cars. It’s fun to compare the car’s last runs of the night, to see the consistency:

4th run    1.67 60 ft., 7.749 1/8th mile, 12.397 @ 103.75 mph
5th run    1.67 60 ft., 7.732 1/8th mile, 12.350 @ 104.73 mph

This last run is where the batteries gassed a bit, lightly fogged the Lexan inside pack lid, and emitted a faint sulfur smell, and it’s where the parallel upshift really broke the tires loose the worse and where the vibration was the strongest. I decided to cut my losses after this run, and called it a night.

Back in the pits, the stream of fans never stopped, and most didn’t want me to stop running the car. With the high rpm vibration seemingly getting worse and with the pack a bit distressed, I feel I made the right choice, though. Duane and Steve ran the bike a couple more times, so it was fun to watch them as a spectator. They really did a great job!

The track shut down at around 11:50, but by the time we had the bike loaded into the rear of Steve's Ford Ranger and had all the cords and chargers put away, it was 12:30 AM or so. Steve and Duane bid us farewell and headed back north towards home, while the rest of us went over to the local Shari's restaurant for a late night meal.

After good eats and great post racing fellowship, it was time to take the car home. I was concerned about the 12V battery under the Zombie's hood, as it hadn't been re-charged since before the last runs and the drive to the restaurant with the headlights on further drained it. At only 16 ahrs, and perhaps just 9 or 10 of those ahrs still available, the math didn't didn't look good for supporting 21 amps for the 25 minute drive home. And with that worry on my mind, with Brent (forklift technician friend) in the work service truck following me, I left for home. The lights weren't so bright and as the miles stacked on, they grew dimmer. At perhaps 4 miles from my house, I decided to save power by shutting down the headlights and running on parking lights only, all the while hoping a cop wouldn't spot me driving with my headlights off. Two miles from home, the main contactor dropped out and the car coasted slower and slower as I shut down the parking lights and glided in darkness...nice! About 15 seconds later as the 12V battery bounced back up, I tried to reboot the Zilla and successfully did so. So here I am, driving in darkness, each oncoming car convincing me they were a cop, so I'd pulse on, then off, the parking lights to mark my presence.

Long story short...I made it home. Once there, the car was immediately put on charge for both the traction pack and the 12V battery. The 360V pack took the drive home without breaking a sweat and even going up a steep 2 mile hill on the last leg home, it never fell below 174V under a fairly heavy load...this, after 16 miles! When the pack is hot, the range seems to be pretty darn good and the car felt as if it could have gone 40 miles! Speaking of hot, now a week later, the pack seems to be doing well after last Friday's punishing evening, and the pack rests at 389-390V at 70-75 degrees ambient temperature. The 12V battery, being a Hawker, took its charge well, and a week later it sits at 13.1V, so it lived through a 100% discharge. Chris will be happy to know I've nearly completed the DC-DC install and will be testing it this weekend on some nighttime Zombie cruises. I'm pretty happy with the install with it's clean look and detailed wiring that includes a magnetic blowout high voltage side power on-off relay, high voltage input fuse, 50 amp low voltage side output fuse, and all wires run in a sano manner.

Well, that's it for now. Thanks to everyone for listening, and thanks to all for the help and support! Stay tuned for more racing adventures and fun with White Zombie.

See Ya...John 'Plasma Boy' Wayland

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com