  1) Re: BMS poll
        by "Chris Brune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: BMS poll
        by "Richard Furniss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Aero shaft drive idea.
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Battery Charger Testing
        by "Paul G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: AC output to rectifier
        by James Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Battery box design / heating & cooling floodies
        by "Steven Potter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: AC output to rectifier
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Oddball flooded NiCD found
        by Christopher Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) EV truck conversion and power steering
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Voltage Divider
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) NJ DMV saga - or WKTEC: the Lineup
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: EV truck conversion and power steering
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Fun at the Movies...Chris Paine meets White Zombie! (pt. 2)
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: EV truck conversion and power steering
        by Nick Viera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: EV truck conversion and power steering
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Small AC Drive systems
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 17) Mitsu PU Conversion (was RE: Aero shaft drive idea.)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: NJ DMV saga
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: BMS poll
        by "Rush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EV truck conversion and power steering
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Battery Charger Testing
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: BMS poll
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: AC output to rectifier
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Voltage Divider
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Local Boy does National Radio Call IN SHOW on EV's
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Voltage Divider
Hi David,
I'm using model 1212SR.  I have 12 of them on board (in the trunk).  They've
been in there for several years and no failures that I am aware of (I'm not
the original owner).  There is a fan setup to blow air on them during
charging.  They do get quite warm if you don't provide any cooling.

See the picture here:  http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/342

Regards,
Chris Brune

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 07:52:19 -0700
From: "Roger Stockton--
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:06:54 -0700
From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6A8E9.79713F99

=20

________________________________

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:06:54 -0700
From: "Roger Stockton--
Subject: RE: AC output to rectifier
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:17:56 -0700
From: "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

------_=_NextPart_001_01C6A8EB.03D281F7

James Massey wrote:

>The (major European) manufacturer of variable-frequency drives, the
>national (Australian) generator engineering support people at Cat and =
the
>local electricity retailer all seem to consider that the VFDs are =
producing
>good power factor and bad harmonic distortion - it would seem that they =
are
>both using power factor as a definition of phase shift, and all are
>concerned about the ramifications of the levels of harmonic distortion.

We may all be saying the same thing ;^>
=20
It happens that EU emission specs are written such that there are both =
PF and harmonic limits that must be met. and while I am not familiar =
with the specific standards applicable to VFDs, I know that with battery =
chargers it is possible to have what would ordinarily be considered =
"good" PF (e.g. >0.9), yet still fail the harmonic limits!
=20
I suspect that what these people are saying is that the VFDs have =
reasonable/good PF but their harmonic distortion still exceeds the =
appropriate limits.
=20
You might ask them what instrument they use to measure PF.  I'm unaware =
of any instrument that provides a PF value that does not take into =
account both phase shift and THD, so unless they are measuring PF =
specifically by observing the phase shift between the line voltage and =
current with a 'scope, it is likely that their PF value includes both.
=20
Cheers,
=20
Roger.
=20

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:17:56 -0700
From: "Roger Stockton--
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 09:26:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Voltage Divider
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

I'm not sure what the max voltage you are planning on
measuring, but I ran some numbers.  You said 2.8V is
the max that should appear on your a/d converter.
2.8V/2,000 Ohms is is 1.4mA through the 2k resistor.
I'll assume this same current flows through the 100K
resistor as well.  Since power = I*I*R,
power=(1.4mA)*(1.4mA)*(100KOhms) = 0.196 watts.  This
is pretty close to a 1/4 watt resistor, and will get
hot.  If you look at the data sheets for resistors,
quite often you will see a formula for the "Rated
Cont. working voltage" wich is the square root of the
power rating times the resistance.  So for a 1/4W 100K
resistor, it's about 158 volts.  That again is pretty
close to 140V you would see if 1.4mA went through the
100K resistor.  If it were me, I'd use two 50K
resistors in series.  This would give you a max
voltage of about 111V each 50K resistor, and about
0.098 watts through each 50K resistor.

I'm not sure what your circuit is, and I'm a little
confused about when you say the voltage will be taken
off R2 and might be feed into an opto-coupler.  What
are you trying to do here?  Turn on an opto-coupler
when high voltage is present?

Good luck with your project, let us know how it turns
out, but most importantly, Have Fun!

- Steven Ciciora

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:15:47 -0700
From: Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        Electric Vehicle Discussion List RCVR <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], Colin Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], Alan Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Local Boy does National Radio Call IN SHOW on EV's

Monday Morning, (The Dr. Pat Show ) July 17th,  KKNW - AM (Seattle)

1150 on your Ancient Modulation (AM) Radio Sets...

  Or on the World Wide Web LIVE  at:  (http://www.newschannel1150.com/ )

this show also plays on WWPR-AM 1490 in the Tampa Sarasota, FL. area at
2 pm EDT
AND on VoiceAmerica.com at 7am and 7 pm PDT
And HealthyLife.net at 8 am PDT
And BBSRadio.com on Wednesdays at 6 pm PDT

See my big ugly puss...And a description of the Interview ...........
on Dr. Pat's Web site at:
        http://www.crustbusting.com/
Also joining me by phone, will be folks from Plug-In-America
        Probably Ms. Chelsea Sexton..  ( from the movie..Who Killed the

Electric Car .

WHEEEEEeeeewwwww !

Tune IN, or set your IPods on RECORD...   Let me know what you think of
how the interview went...

Dr. Pat's PEOPLE are trying to set up an Advertising Co-Op of Electric
Car Providers.. And then follow up on MY interview with interviews with
other EV types over the next few months.

An ambitious undertaking...  I explained that many of today's EV
Providers, Conversion folks, EV Parts, Etc...  are small businesses.
And some are large like the GEM division of Dalmer/Chrysler...  MORE on
this Campaign / Idea  soon....

Till Then...

--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:26:12 -0500
From: Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Michaela Merz wrote:
> voltage divider for my Basic Stamp 'high voltage' project...
> Two resistor voltage divider with R1=100K and R2=2K, where the
> volatage will be taken off R2 and either fed into an opto-coupler
> or an ADC0831.

A voltage divider only produces an accurate ratio with precision
resistors, and when there is negligible current drawn from the tap
between them.

The LED of an optocoupler requires currents on the order of 1-10 ma, so
you can't drive it with a voltage divider. However, an optocoupler's
output current is (roughly) proportional to its LED current. Therefore,
it is possible to get a (rough) measurement of battery voltage with just
a resistor and the opto's LED in series. 1-10ma corresponds to 1/10th to
full battery voltage (i.e. a 10k resistor makes 1-10ma represent 10-100
volts).

Add a zener diode in series to offset this range. A 50v zener and 10k
resistor makes 1-10ma represent 60-160v.

Measure the transistor current of the phototransistor to estimate
battery voltage. The Stamp's RCTIME command will directly measure the
phototransistor's current, so you don't need an A/D converter.

Now this is *very* crude; it changes between parts, drifts with
temperature, and over time. However, with a microcomputer, you may be
able to individually calibrate it to work well enough for your purposes.
It's probably good enough to spot a couple key voltages, like 10.5v and
15v, and give you an approximation of voltages between them. Calibrate
it with a more accurate indication of total pack voltage and temperature
(perhaps from an E-meter), and it could work well ok.

The AD0831 is only an 8-bit converter, and has no internal voltage
reference. Suppose you use a 5v regulator as both supply and reference;
then your accuracy will be limited as most voltage regulator ICs aren't
very good references (+/-5%, drifts with temperature, etc.) Note: a
power supply that converts a high pack voltage to 5v for the AD0831 is
not going to be as simple as one IC!

8 bits with a 5v reference is 5v/256 = 0.0195 v/step. Your 100k/2k
resistive voltage divider reduces the voltage by (2/(2+100) = 0.0196.
So, 1 volt = 1 step, and your 8-bit converter goes from 0-255 volts.

The AD0831 measures instantaneous voltage; that means one reading could
easily just happen to give you the voltage during a noise peak. You'll
have to make many readings and average them together to get a meaningful
number. The AD0831 also draws up to 1uA of input current. This is about
0.1% of the current in the 2k resistor, causing another 0.1% error.

You'd of course need two optocouplers to drive the AD0831 clock and data
lines to have isolation between pack and Stamp.