  1) RE: Electriccars.com on eBay
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) 1991 G-Van on Ebay, in Mesa, AZ
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: First ride in my EV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
  4) RE: S10 model curb weight(s)
        by "Steven Potter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Aluminium battery 3000 cycles - please no oilys!!!
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Another car show
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: S10 model curb weight(s)
        by "Michael Mohlere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Trust GM to give you the facts about EV1
  9) Re: Interesting article on the EV1 and customer support...
        by "George S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: GM should have crash tested the EV1.  Not crushed it.
 11) Re: Another car show
        by "Michael Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Truck conversions w/ batteries UNDER the stock bed
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Another car show
        by "John Bryan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Motor mounts or hard bolted to frame (ecobra)
        by "Arthur W. Matteson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: BMS poll
        by Jude Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Motor mounts or hard bolted to frame (ecobra)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Electriccars.com on eBay
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: BMS poll
        by "Arthur W. Matteson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: BMS poll
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: S10 model curb weight(s)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: S10 model curb weight(s)
        by Mike Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) RE: S10 model curb weight(s)
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Motor mounts or hard bolted to frame (ecobra)
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Motor mounts or hard bolted to frame (ecobra)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: AC output to rectifier
        by Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
BTW, I have complained to Ebay.com for unauthorized use of
printed material (the closest match between the pictures that
were listed and the "borrowed" contents on the web site.)

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

From: "Don Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Dana - congratulations!  Do you have any pictures on the web of your build?
>
> Don
>

> Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada
>
> see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev

Point of reference:

I recently put my stock '98 Ranger on a truck scale (pre-conversion;
full gas tank) = 3320 lbs.

That total included a fiberglass bed cover which I weighted separately
at 115 lbs.

I'm guessing the bed/tailgate must add about 350 lbs or more. My
conversion plans at this point include selling the bed and cover;
fabricating a light weight, aerodynamic, tilt up flat bed as a
replacement.

Steven Potter, Toronto

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On
> Behalf Of Michael Mohlere
>
> Does anyone have the "curb weights" of the various years the S10 was
> produced?? Obviously, I am looking for the "lightest" S10 (reg cab,
short
> bed), and am fairly sure it was not one of the recent incarnations of
same
> -

7/14/2006

This looks discouraging... seen here, a post from 2004:
http://forum.evworld.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=406&;
or tinyURL:
http://tinyurl.com/n39cm

Björn, Ingenjör (engineer) | 2004-09-22 | 15:19

Answer: new issue of shares Europositron

I to visited their road-show and I was NOT impressed! I can hardy tell
what to start carping about, but I had a hundred objections when I went
from there. To begin with, the inventor did not seem to fully grasp all
electrical concepts, something he really should do if he had come with
something as fantastic as this superbattery. Then all the bullshit
about macromolecules and nanochemistry (haha!!). The description about
how the battery worked was the most muddled popular "science" I have
ever heard. Furthermore, the man gave strange answers to simple
questions of general nature. For example, when asked about the voltage
of the battery, he answered "the same as in the wall socket, about 200
volts in Europe and about a 100 in the USA. If the man had been a
serious person, he had instead spoken about the cell voltage and that
the battery consists of cells in serial connection to make a battery
with a suitable voltage (any) for the application in which you may want
to use it. Furthermore, the economist character from Delecta seemed to
have no idea at all of what he was talking about (the inventor did not
object when the man bursted into folly), but he was of course an
economist...........mostly reminded me of Percy Nilegård (well-known
domestic swedish comedian). I haven´t investigated how much energy it
is possible to store in a certain amount of 100% ionized aluminium, but
consider the following: If the man has succeded in making each of the
parts work individually, why not assemble them into a prototype?
Batteries are not complicated constructions and clean rooms should
really not be needed to test whether the battery is working or not
(even with a fraction of the performance they claim). The battery
scaleable and could be built in all sizes as cheaply as todays
lead-acid batteries. Therefore a prototype the size of a matchbox
should hardly cost anything to make, even if it was 500 times more
expensive than a battery in serial production. The least you could ask
before spending several millions on this abortive enterprize is a
simple test to make sure it is working. I can bet 10 000 krona that
this is a hoax but not one single krona on Europositron

--- Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.
>
> Tom Watson wrote:
> > Hi all...
> >

> >>Proposed Aluminum Battery Boost to electric vehicles
> >>Electric car of General Motors, EV 1 uses 736kg batteries giving
> >
> > max. >range 145 km without recharge. A battery of 60 kg made with
> >
> >>Europositron technology allows EV 1 max. range 870 km without
> >>recharge.
> >

> > This is very, very interesting given the weight to energy ratio.
> > http://www.europositron.com/en/techniques.html
> >
> > I sure would like to see someone other than an bastard have a
> > controlling share!!! I'm wondering if we can pool our resources
> into
> > accomplishing this?? 3 questions that need knoledgeable input
> are...
> >
> > 1. Has anyone ever heard of this guy? and Is he trustworthy?
> > http://www.europositron.com/en/partanen.html
> >
> > 2. Does anyone among us know or can give some insight into the
> > viability of this battery???
> > http://www.europositron.com/en/background.html
> >
> > 3. Is there any financial wizards among us that can comment on the
> > Shares setup of this venture? What would "we" need to have a
> > controlling interest.
> > http://www.europositron.com/en/index.html
> >
> > thanks
> > Tom
> >
> > ---------------***------------
> > http://www.europositron.com/en/manufacturing.html
> >
> > They claim 20 times the energy density of current batteries.  We
> have
> > Firefly, Li Ion and now Aluminium with normal lead style charging.
> > When will we see a new range record?  Current record is over 1000
> > miles on a charge.  That was Zinc technology.  I can hardly wait.
> > Lawrence Rhodes.......

> > http://mail.yahoo.com

Based on the BTUs in a gallon of gas & electricity... you are going about
3.3 times further than I did in my ICE Corvans. In good tune, they could get
about 22MPG. To keep them in that sort of tune required tinkering on the rig
every 3 months... change oil, adjust everything. <g>

I assume you mean the Chicken Hawk? (The car is long gone, to a museum on
the other coast.) When towing it home, Judi thought it looked like the
cartoon character... and the name stuck.

If you ever find the rig has a bit too much lean, you may still be able to
find a copy of "How to Hotrod Corvairs". One of the tricks they used was to
use heavier springs (part # in the book) which were the same height... then
cut them down. It helped a lot w/ high speed cornering roll, though didn't
help make it completely controllable w/ a rear tire flat at speed.
Fortunately, today's tires are *so* much safer. Tucked, the cars ran like
they were on rails and the vans had zero freeway sway (unlike our VW busses.
<g>)

From: "Steven Potter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: RE: S10 model curb weight(s)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:13:18 -0400

Point of reference:

I recently put my stock '98 Ranger on a truck scale (pre-conversion;
full gas tank) = 3320 lbs.

That total included a fiberglass bed cover which I weighted separately
at 115 lbs.

I'm guessing the bed/tailgate must add about 350 lbs or more. My
conversion plans at this point include selling the bed and cover;
fabricating a light weight, aerodynamic, tilt up flat bed as a
replacement.

Steven Potter, Toronto

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On
> Behalf Of Michael Mohlere
>
> Does anyone have the "curb weights" of the various years the S10 was
> produced?? Obviously, I am looking for the "lightest" S10 (reg cab,
short
> bed), and am fairly sure it was not one of the recent incarnations of
same
> -

7/14/2006

http://www.gm.com/company/onlygm/fastlane_Blog.html#Hypdef Look here and see
what others have to say about GM. GM is doing a lot of damage control.  It's
not just the electrics.  If we could get the big journalists on our side and
hopefully get them to see EV's as an answer to the petrol tit it would be a
boon for EV's.  Lawrence Rhodes..
From: "David (Battery Boy) Hawkins"
I wonder if the NEDRA video tapes that John Bryan made are still available.
JB? My tape is more worn at the Maniac Mazda section!
BB

   I'm still toying with the idea of getting a DVD burner.
If I do, I'll make you a custom disc of all of your favorite stuff!

Thishere's,
JB

Both of my pre- and post-upgrade motor mounts had cushioning.  This
picture is the 'US Electricar'-installed mount for the 6.7" Prestolite:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/awmatt/060.jpg

There are 1" thick rubber pads leading down to the mounting screws.
These pads fit nicely in the oddly-shaped holes on the car body.  The
motor was sturdily connected at its face, to the transmission.  The
transmission was only anchored at the very front of the car by a
somewhat flexible joint.  In this way, there could be some rotating of
the motor/transmission in a high-torque situation.  I think this is
beneficial to prevent cracking of components during mishaps or even
normal operation.  This is especially important with the DC motor, since
it has a high locked-rotor torque.  Cushioning will probably reduce
vehicle rattles, as well.  This particular rubber was quite stiff (20
years old though).

Of course, one must make sure that the motor and transmission are
cushioned as a pair, or else have a flexible coupling between them.  If
my Renault's transmission weren't flexible in its compartment, the
wooden coupling plate may very well have fractured because high torques
would have taken the path of least resistance (the motor face
connection).

A comparable situation is a gasoline engine mounting.  Even when idle,
my Buick's engine is allowed to shake back and forth quite easily (as
you're likely aware of).  I really think there is something to be
gathered about this common design.  Some new vehicles even have
hydraulic engine mounts.

I don't have a ton of experience here, but take it as a vote.

- Arthur

> Motor mounts or hard bolted to frame?  (for ecobra)
> When mounting electric motor...I can see arguments both ways
> and was wondering what other people have done / experiences.
>
> Kd
> Hybrid cobra http://ssinc.us/kitcar

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The one I'm building has Rudman Mark2b regs and a PFC20, with the Regbus connected.

Judebert
So how many folks on this last have bms on their battery pack?

Mike

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

Motor mounts if possible, to cushion the drive train under high torque when you
hit bumps.

--- Begin Message --- I have heard of them and even paid the money to find out what it is all about. Well the guys head may of may not be in the right space, I mean a true EV person, but his site is not worth the money. Of a listing of 37 links titled "Personal EV Websites" of people many of us all know, 28 are dead links. He was giving out bogus EV info to people about NEVs and telling them you had to run the lead acid batteries down before charging. He has since corrected this but he is stating that you can get 50 miles range from a GEM. I believe a GEM is the only EV he has ever owned and may be the closest he will ever get to a street EV just from reading his comments.There is so much wrong with the site I don't know where to begin. You click on the Dealer section and you get dots on different states so I clicked on Washington at least to see if the NEV dealerships were listed, like the GEM dealer in Bellingham, or the Dynasty Electric car dealer in Seattle that also handles the Columbia Par Car NEV and the new ZENN NEV from Feel Good Cars. I also clicked on Spokane where my friends the Woodbury's build the Tango but alas, nothing, no hits, nada, just an advertisement that says to put your advertisement here, for money of course. My advice to you all is keep your money in your pocket and join The Free EV List. Don't be a fool like me and waste your money out of curiosity. Curiosity definitely killed this cat.

Roderick Wilde

Has anyone heard of them? Other than the EVDL, I really only know of
EVWorld.com, and hadn't heard of this site:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&item=220006629523

What is odd is that clicking on the main picture of the auction listing (with the Audi from Minority Report, I think) links to a Chrysler dealership being
sold on eBay!

Although I was planning on it, I currently do not have any type of BMS.

I do have a design already built, though.  It is a set of relays to
switch the sides of a power resistor, or perhaps a DC/DC converter,
across any of 13 battery pack taps (for up to 144V systems).  It has
never been tested and may be either rebuilt or put to use in two years
or so; better start another poll then.

If I get lithium-ions for a possible go-kart, then I will build my own
BMS that exists as identical circuits on every paralleled group of cells
all connected by a CAN bus.  (Look up "buss" with two S's in a
dictionary...you might be surprised at what it means!)  Although the
A123 Systems' cells aren't as combustible, it's still important to have
a good BMS since they're lithium-ion.

Speaking of which, A123 Systems now has development kits for sale,
containing six of their 'M1' cells.  (http://www.a123systems.com)

- Arthur

Please Do!

Mike

> We have a virtual stack of photos and intend to write up the system
> when
> time allows.
>
> Cliff
> www.ProEV.com

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently
The ones that change the world!!

www.RotorDesign.com

Michael,

Forgot that you wanted the weights:
My 1994 US Electricar S10 weighs 4880 lbs
including a pack of 26 batteries of almost 71 lbs each,
which brings the weight sans pack at just a tad over 3000 lbs.
This includes a 1/4" or so wall thickness aluminum box,
a 50 kW Hughes AC motor on the manual gearbox, beefed up springs,
the original long bed (standard cab) and steering column shifter
(from the automatic) because it is a "single gear" drive,
a large 700V 250A AC drive with water-cooling through the
original radiator, Power Steering pump, Vacuum braking pump
and a foot-long 3-phase 208V 90Amp inductor for the famous
fast-charging and Vehicle-to-grid that this controller is capable of
but that I never use because I have no 3-phase 208V service.

Note: because this controller is capable of at least 50kW, it
could theoretically charge at 50kW but also supply 50kW to the
grid. However, the AVCON connector cannot sustain the currents,
even though it is modified to 3 large pins, so the grid power
has been limited to 20kW.

My EV album listing has the Front and rear axle weights
(when going over to the recycling station I could simply
stop at the weighing bridge, make a note of the weight,
drive forward until only one axle was on the bridge and
make another note and turn around. Real simple to get to
know the total and per-axle weights....

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

>I recently put my stock '98 Ranger on a truck scale (pre-conversion;
>full gas tank) = 3320 lbs.
>
>That total included a fiberglass bed cover which I weighted separately
>at 115 lbs.
>
>I'm guessing the bed/tailgate must add about 350 lbs or more. My
>conversion plans at this point include selling the bed and cover;
>fabricating a light weight, aerodynamic, tilt up flat bed as a
>replacement.
>
>Steven Potter, Toronto
>
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>On
> > Behalf Of Michael Mohlere
> >
> > Does anyone have the "curb weights" of the various years the S10 was
> > produced?? Obviously, I am looking for the "lightest" S10 (reg cab,
>short
> > bed), and am fairly sure it was not one of the recent incarnations of
>same
> > -
>

>--
>7/14/2006

Cor,

What part of town is the scale located in?

Mike

--- Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Michael,
>
> Forgot that you wanted the weights:
> My 1994 US Electricar S10 weighs 4880 lbs
> including a pack of 26 batteries of almost 71 lbs each,
> which brings the weight sans pack at just a tad over 3000 lbs.
> This includes a 1/4" or so wall thickness aluminum box,
> a 50 kW Hughes AC motor on the manual gearbox, beefed up springs,
> the original long bed (standard cab) and steering column shifter
> (from the automatic) because it is a "single gear" drive,
> a large 700V 250A AC drive with water-cooling through the
> original radiator, Power Steering pump, Vacuum braking pump
> and a foot-long 3-phase 208V 90Amp inductor for the famous
> fast-charging and Vehicle-to-grid that this controller is capable of
> but that I never use because I have no 3-phase 208V service.
>
> Note: because this controller is capable of at least 50kW, it
> could theoretically charge at 50kW but also supply 50kW to the
> grid. However, the AVCON connector cannot sustain the currents,
> even though it is modified to 3 large pins, so the grid power
> has been limited to 20kW.
>
> My EV album listing has the Front and rear axle weights
> (when going over to the recycling station I could simply
> stop at the weighing bridge, make a note of the weight,
> drive forward until only one axle was on the bridge and
> make another note and turn around. Real simple to get to
> know the total and per-axle weights....
>
> Regards,
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
> Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

It's going to be interesting to see how the batteries in Cor and my very
different pickup trucks age.  We both got UB121100's from the same batch at the
same time (Cor arranged it) but he got his truck on the road several months
ahead of me.  His truck is 4880 pounds with 26 batteries with no individual
battery attention during charging (I think) and a single-gear AC drive.   I
have a 3320 pound  pickup with just 13 of the same batteries with Hart Z-regs
powering a 25 year old Prestolite DC motor and a Zilla controller with a
4-speed transmission.  Cor's got a lot more range than I do, and I have higher
amp draws during regular driving than he does.  I suspect our driving styles
are different as well.  The only constant is the batteries (well, and the local
weather.)  In theory his should last a lot longer than mine.  It will be
interesting to see how much longer.  Hopefully we'll be monitoring this
experiment for a long time!

Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Michael,

Forgot that you wanted the weights:
My 1994 US Electricar S10 weighs 4880 lbs
including a pack of 26 batteries of almost 71 lbs each,
which brings the weight sans pack at just a tad over 3000 lbs.
This includes a 1/4" or so wall thickness aluminum box,
a 50 kW Hughes AC motor on the manual gearbox, beefed up springs,
the original long bed (standard cab) and steering column shifter
(from the automatic) because it is a "single gear" drive,
a large 700V 250A AC drive with water-cooling through the
original radiator, Power Steering pump, Vacuum braking pump
and a foot-long 3-phase 208V 90Amp inductor for the famous
fast-charging and Vehicle-to-grid that this controller is capable of
but that I never use because I have no 3-phase 208V service.

Note: because this controller is capable of at least 50kW, it
could theoretically charge at 50kW but also supply 50kW to the
grid. However, the AVCON connector cannot sustain the currents,
even though it is modified to 3 large pins, so the grid power
has been limited to 20kW.

My EV album listing has the Front and rear axle weights
(when going over to the recycling station I could simply
stop at the weighing bridge, make a note of the weight,
drive forward until only one axle was on the bridge and
make another note and turn around. Real simple to get to
know the total and per-axle weights....

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water    IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225     VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675     eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Proxim Wireless Networks   eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
Take your network further  http://www.proxim.com

>I recently put my stock '98 Ranger on a truck scale (pre-conversion;
>full gas tank) = 3320 lbs.
>
>That total included a fiberglass bed cover which I weighted separately
>at 115 lbs.
>
>I'm guessing the bed/tailgate must add about 350 lbs or more. My
>conversion plans at this point include selling the bed and cover;
>fabricating a light weight, aerodynamic, tilt up flat bed as a
>replacement.
>
>Steven Potter, Toronto
>
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>On
> > Behalf Of Michael Mohlere
> >
> > Does anyone have the "curb weights" of the various years the S10 was
> > produced?? Obviously, I am looking for the "lightest" S10 (reg cab,
>short
> > bed), and am fairly sure it was not one of the recent incarnations of
>same
> > -
>

>--
>7/14/2006

---------------------------------
Groups are talking. We’re listening. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo!
Groups.

If your motor vibrates at all, your car frame/body might act like a
victrola and amplify the sound with direct bolting. Motor mounts will
help damp this and make things quieter.

--- Michael Kadie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Motor mounts or hard bolted to frame ( 4 ecobra)
> When mounting electric motor.  I can see arguments both ways and
> was wondering what other people have done / experiences.

Errr, kinda both?

 Road shock and vibration should be dampened or things may break. Use
firm mounts like urethene. But due to the torque and the obvious
acceleration and deceleration tendancy of such a conversion. a pair of
radius rods with rod ends, ie no play can be used to eliminate torque
loss. If they are parallel, they will still allow updown movement to
bumps and some lifting on torque so as not to break.

<snip>Then, I read on the EVDL archives, that a fan dimmer
would be better, since it doesn't have a DC component

>Quote Dave Roden year 2001: "The problem is that a light dimmer isn't
built for the application. They
>don't worry about minimizing any DC in the output, because light bulbs
work equally well on AC or DC.

>But AC motors and transformers *hate* DC -- even a small amount makes
>them saturate, draw excessive current, and overheat. Light dimmers meant
>to control transformers and motors are a little more expensive, but they
>have extra circuitry to guarantee that there is no DC in the output. The
>waveform is symmetrical at any setting."

I was curious about this (although I haven't figured out how to search the
archives back that far) so I went out to look at my dim boy.  I had it set for
a float charge at 13.5 volts per battery, or 175 volts total, and it had been
on for several hours.  That means that the dimmer was doing a lot of whatever
it is that it does to lower the voltage because the transformer was delivering
well below 50% of its standard voltage.   The charger was only drawing about
3.5 amps of AC according to the Watt-a-meter, and putting out less than 2 amps
of DC according to the analog ammeter I currently have in this charger.  I
turned it off, opened it up, and felt the transformer.  If it was above room
temperature I couldn't tell by touching it.  Now this is a transformer which is
rated for 15 amps, and probably could handle more from the looks of it, so it
was operating at a fraction of its capacity, with a decent cooling fan.  But I
detected no evidence of overheating or other bad
 things.

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.