  1) Re: Tesla Motors unveiled (my comments)
        by "Michaela Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) FAQ - batteries
        by Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: WarP 11 in Pickup  (was RE: Chelsea Sexton to appear...)
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Tesla Talk, was Re: WashPost Tesla Article
        by Jimmy Argon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Clutchless S10
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Ranger EV Battery Modifications
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Ev my suv (getting someone to do it for me)
        by <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Ev my suv (getting someone to do it for me)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Ranger EV Battery Modifications
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Ev my suv (getting someone to do it for me)
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) FW: Ev my suv (getting someone to do it for me)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) EEStor was Re: EVLN(ex-GEM's join FGC)
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Timing vs RPM's
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Ev my suv (getting someone to do it for me)
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: FAQ - batteries
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Ranger EV Battery Modifications
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Volt meter leakage current (is it possible ?)
        by "fortunat mueller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Tesla Motors unveiled (my comments)
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: What if....
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: "Hybrid" Mass Transit (long)
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: "Hybrid" Mass Transit (long)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Tesla Motors Performance Comparision
        by "ProEV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Steve wrote:

> I am hesistant to respond to this one, but I feel it is necessary, so I
> will and try to keep it short.
>   Why aren't people lining up to buy the vehicle in the link?
>
>   Simply stated, it does not meet the list of requirements for the common
> man.  Great for an EV hobbiest, but not the general public.
> Specifically why?

I agree with this posting. Though the 'needs' of the common man (or woman)
usually are not 'needs' but 'wants'.

When I started with EVs, I thought I needed big batteries and at least 150
Miles range. I am now driving a 144V S-10 and I realized, that I am doing
fine with it, actually I have never yet drained my batteries below 50%
DOD.

I wouldn't really matter to me even IF I would have 50 Miles more range it
wouldn't be enough anyway. 200 Miles of range would be the next step for
me, but that is, for the time being, unobtainium.

What bothers me though is, that we are not really moving along in the EV
field of science. We still use DC without regen, most don't have a/c and
our cars weight as much as a small battle tank.

The few developers concentrate on racing and even the 'professional' EV
people are leaving us 'normal' drivers wondering about ice filled coolers
for a/c while our brakes add to global warming while desperately trying to
convert the kinetic energy of 2 tons of lead into glowing brake discs.
That is very sad.

Now - I am just an EV driver, a common person. I like my EV but I can
understand why Joe Sixpack would rather buy a 3/4 ton pickup truck. Don't
mistake the expression on my face with the 'EV grin' - it's just the sweat
dripping from my forehead burns in my eyes while I am climbing all over my
truck check and to refill water.

I can't wait for some (most likely Asian) company to come out with an
plugin hybrid that has air conditioning, power steering, power windows,
regenerative braking, the works. The EV companies have (had?) their window
of opportunity. But they just continue to convert old cars with old
technology and try to sell it as something 'cool' for a lot of money. I am
sorry guys, you are just copying GMs business practice.

Michaela

Can anyone direct me to a link for a
FAQ on batteries?

(posts from this group are great, but
hard to sort through.)

I'm considering a car that uses 13 Deka 8G27...
I would like to get an idea just how
expensive it would be to buy NiCDs for it.
(and how long would it take, and how hard
would I be banging my head on a wall? :-)

I found SAFT web sites, but they aren't giving pricing
or application-specific advice on the site.

I haven't seen the car yet, but I imagine
the switch to NiCDs will require a new Temperature
Management System.

Thanks
Seth

Steve,
I take it then the videos of your burnouts in the Mitsu are with the Z1K?
I'm wondering how your tranny and rear end, if they were stock (2WD? or 4Wd?),
held up to the launches in 3rd gear?  I'm more
worried about the tranny with just the 9".

I know of two other 4WD Mitsu pickup skeletons that I've been eyeing.  If I
took on the task of building a dragster I'd probably
acquires these for the frames.  I like the torsion front springs.  You could
get a cowling down below the tops of the tires this
way :-)

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

From: Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Where are you located?
> Which vehicle is this?
> What performance / range do you need?
>
> Cor van de Water
> Systems Architect
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
> Skype: cor_van_de_water IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel: +1 408 542 5225 VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
> Fax: +1 408 731 3675 eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
> Proxim Wireless Networks eFAX: +1-610-423-5743
> Take your network further http://www.proxim.com

Lots of good news from FGC recently (production in France, ZENN's in
the UK)...

Thought this mention again about EEStor particularly positive...
Past mentions about EEStor on the EVDL:
http://tinyurl.com/ea2bg

Lots of bux betting on EEStor caps coming to market soon.
:)
Tks
Lock
Toronto

--- bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> EVLN(ex-GEM's join FGC)
> [The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
> informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
> --- {EVangel}
> http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=143214
> Feel Good Cars Corporation 'FGC' Continues to Build Momentum:
> Additions to Leadership Team.
>
> TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (MARKET WIRE) -- July 11, 2006 -- FGC has
> added the following strategic members to its leadership
> team;Michael Bergeron,Vice President of Engineering; Sylvain
> Rivet,Director of Procurement and Ghislain Courtois,Director of
> Human Resources and Production Accounting. These individuals
> bring industry and functional expertise to FGC,adding to FGC's
> existing core skills.
>
> Michael Bergeron Eng. (Bsc-MBA) brings to Feel Good Cars over 20
> years of experience in the automotive sector. For the past four
> years he held the position of Director of Engineering for Global
> Electric Motorcars, a major Neighbourhood Electric Vehicle
> producer and a subsidiary of Daimler Chrysler. Mr. Bergeron also
> possesses strong engineering knowledge and insight regarding the
> EEStor energy storage technology and will be a key executive in
> the commercialization of this emerging technology for the
> Corporation's products.

Inquiring minds would like to know the timing advance per RPM's and if it's
linear and if it's effected by current.  Does anyone have a chart or
relationship in degrees advanced per RPM's?  Does it vary for different motor
diameters?

Most SUVs are automatics these days.  Yet EVs need to
be manual trannies.
Most SUVs are prohibitively heavy, and not
aerodynamic.
Any conversion, if done safely, will be in the
neighborhood of $7-9000.  Getting someone to do the
labor is roughly $4,000, and that is IF you can
commission them.  It's a matter of the liability
involved.
peace,

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have an suv I would like to have EV priced out for
> me.  Anyone know of an established firm that can
> price this out for me.  That has expert experance ?
> You can recomend

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

I refrained frm NiCad because I was following the KISS
rule.  NiCads need cooling and watering (moreso than
Pbacid).
You'd be in to the tune of about 6-8K, but people on
the list who are using them are certainly pleased with
the results.
SAFT doesn't like selling to you unless they've okayed
your charging/management system.
peace,

--- Seth Rothenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Can anyone direct me to a link for a
> FAQ on batteries?
>
> (posts from this group are great, but
> hard to sort through.)
>
> I'm considering a car that uses 13 Deka 8G27...
> I would like to get an idea just how
> expensive it would be to buy NiCDs for it.
> (and how long would it take, and how hard
> would I be banging my head on a wall? :-)
>
> I found SAFT web sites, but they aren't giving
> pricing
> or application-specific advice on the site.
>
> I haven't seen the car yet, but I imagine
> the switch to NiCDs will require a new Temperature
> Management System.
>
> Thanks
> Seth

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

> > Looks like someone is more than doubling the cost of the batteries
> to you.
> >
> > The Trojan 8 volts 150 AH T-875 cost $77.25 wholesale price exchange.
> >
> > Roland
> >

> Those can't be used. Mark is talking about an OEM Ranger EV, which has
> sealed 8V batteries meant to be left to themselves until they die (or
> there is a problem with the pack that requires direct access). Blue
> Sky Motors did end up swapping out one dying module in mine, but this
> is not a job usually tackled by the owner. A ton of batteries are
> suspended beneath the frame in a sealed case - I may do the 12v
> switch-out when my pack dies, but I get better than 60mi per charge
> now (6000mi since purchase <1yr ago), so I have a while before I
> figure out how to do the job at home.
>
> You would be totally bored with the lack of owner involvement on this
> truck - other than plugging in the Avcon, I've filled the windshield
> washer once and checked the tire pressure a few times, that's it (not
> including my experiments with aero mods). Other than a vague "power"
> meter, there is no true measurement of amps or volts, or what the
> system is doing to run everything. We call the truck "the Cicada",
> since you hear this slight high-pitched sound when the rear window is
> open. An equal weight of lithium would get the truck as far as the ICE
> version, and still not need anything fancy from the owner.
>
> This would drive me nuts,  I have to know everything what's going on in
> the EV.

In my EV, I monitor motor RPM, motor amps, motor volts, battery volts,
battery amps, 12 VDC DC-DC charging amps and volts and load amps and volts.
The 180 volt DC-AC inverter amps and volts at the battery source and amps
and volts at the end of load.

Also, the motor temperature, motor controller temperature, ambient
temperature, cab temperature, motor bay temperature, battery temperature and
A/C temperature.

Then there is the vacuum data at the vacuum pump, at the brakes after the
check values and at the vacuum accessories after another check value.

Readouts for the 120 VAC 60 HZ system which is use for the electric heating,
fan cooling, and pumps.

Monitor the commercial power transfer units that transfer the on board AC to
the commercial power AC which can run all the AC systems, while it is plug
in.

And finally, the main charging monitors, which includes AC voltage, AC
ampere, DC voltage, DC ampere, Ampere-hour, DC wattage used for the main
battery pack and DC voltage, DC ampere, and percentage of discharge for the
accessory battery.

Then there is run time data, that reads out vehicle run time, motor run time
and vehicle away time.

The matrix control system, can rewire the EV on the go, to test out
different modes of operation.

Everyday, I am always designing, modifying, and changing something on my EV.

thanks for all the replies

On 7/23/06, Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You didn't mention how the voltmeter was connected, but I'm assuming it
was across pack negative and positive on the battery side of both main
contactors (so you could read pack voltage even with the key off).  If
this is the case, leakage through it might slowly drain your pack, but
it shouldn'tbe able to afect the controller caps unless there is leakage
around the main contactors somehow.

i thought i did mention it. The voltmeter and DC/DC are both connected to
the controller side of C1 and the battery side of C2, so they both come on
with the key (i don't read battery voltage on the dashboard meter when the
key isn't on).

On 7/24/06, Arthur W. Matteson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I would recommend never connecting a
contactor in the negative side of a circuit.  If you put C1 and C2 in
series on the positive side, you won't measure 130V but instead 0V from
controller (+) to pack (-), and you can use the car the same way.

- Arthur

why not put a contactor on the neg side ? just to hold everything at equal
potential ? I thought the way I had it wired is pretty standard for
conversions, no ?
I guess I like the idea of being able to completely isolate the controller
from the HV system. Since my pack has flooded batteries (now BB600s) and
there is almost always some tiny ground fault, I like having no HV at all on
the controller if I need to swap a wire or something. I guess there is
always the disconnect too....

i suppose this isn't anything to worry about. I just wanted to make sure
that my meter wasn't damaged and about to burst into flames in my dashboard.

thanks all.
~fortunat

How come everyone here keeps forgetting Hybrid Technologies LiX-75 ( a
Mullen GT lithium-ion electric ) ?

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/lix-75-the-worlds-fastest-electric-car
http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/media.php?mediaID=060212

IIRC, they announced the price of $125K and small volume production of
a hundred units a year or so, pretty much in the same ballpark as
Tesla.

-kert

On 7/22/06, Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The Tesla, Venturi Fetish and TZero are not made for the common man. It is
not intended to be practical.

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

see the New Beetle EV project   www.cameronsoftware.com/ev