  1) RE: Wiring a momentary voltage doubler for a contactor - diode?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Unvented Propane heaters
        by xx xx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Speaking of Hybrids
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by xx xx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Wiring a momentary voltage doubler for a contactor - diode?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Wiring a momentary voltage doubler for a contactor - diode?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: electrovaya BEV SUV
        by "james s" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Please straighten me out (energy usage)...
 10) Re: Miles vs speed
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Unvented Propane heaters
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Question about pot connectors for MES-DEA drive system
        by Victor Tikhonov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Battery Question
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Disconnects. Was: Battery Washing
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: The Series Hybrid Debate
 16) RE: Series hybrids (was Re: EV digest 6372)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Sydney AEVA meeting -- next Tuesday
        by "Claudio Natoli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: LPG/LNG/CNG, diesel, enviromnent.
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by "mike young" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- I'm not sure about this circuit, but in general I diode is used across the coil of the contactor to supress the voltage spike that occurs when the contactor is deenergized. That coil which is being held open with 12 volts will feed back a spike several times that voltage when it is turned off potentially damaging other electronics.

damon

From: Steve Condie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EV List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Wiring a momentary voltage doubler for a contactor - diode? Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 15:16:45 -0800 (PST)

Some time ago Lee Hart described how to wire a momentary voltage doubler to enable the use of a 24V contactor in a 12 volt system. You use a DPDT switch or relay to, in the "normal" position, charge up a capacitor, then when the switch or relay is activated, the wiring is routed in series through the capacitor and then to the contactor, giving a brief pulse of 24V to close the contacts, then tapering back to 12V as the capacitor discharges. 12V may not be enough to make the contacts on a 24V contactor close when they're open, but it is enough to keep them closed afterwards..

I liked the circuit because of its simplicity, the built-in "coil economizer" effect of having the voltage decline naturally shortly after contact is made -- and the fact that I picked up several beefy 24V contactors. So I built one, and it works. But the original archived post says: "Once the capacitor discharges, a diode applies the 12v continuously to hold it in." The one I built works fine without the diode, and I'm having trouble figuring out why I need it and exactly where it goes. I'm assuming that the capacitor allows the battery current to flow through it - do I need a diode in parallel with it?. Is that a problem? Lee? Anyone?

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Check out all that glitters with the MSN Entertainment Guide to the Academy Awards® http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline2
I also have a Mr. Heater unit that mounts to a propane
tank.  I used it in a large shop and never really
noticed anything, unless something got on the burner
grate and burned up.  Those are a little different
than my propane "fireplace".  The Mr. Heater, (at
least the one I'm talking about), is an infra red type
radiant heater, whereas the fireplace is a flame type
heater, which is rated for use in a home.

John

--- JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I use a 'Mr. Heater Portable Buddy' propane heater
> to heat my
> garage/workshop.
> It has a low oxygen cut-off.  But I do not like the
> odor it leaves behind.
> Have you noticed this?
>
> John in Sylmar, CA

It's here! Your new message!

--- Begin Message --- I think a good way to do a plug-in hybrid is to take a FWD car, and add an electric motor to drive the rear wheels. Then you can use the electric motor around town, and use the gas motor on the freeway.

I've been building just such a car, I've converted one rear wheel into a driven wheel powered by an electric motor. However, I'm having trouble and could use some suggestions. I originally used a 1" wide belt drive to power the wheel, but the belt would slip when enough torque was applied to move the car. So I've changed it to use a chain drive. The problem now is the chain makes a huge amount of noise! more noise than ICE does. Has anyone else done a chain or belt drive setup? Are there chain drives that are not so noisy? Or belts that can handle a lot of torque.
A 3" wide belt?
I'm considering trying the snowmobile CVT setup, but its a little expensive for this project.

Thanks,
Jack

A lot of custom choppers use very wide toothed belts
to handle the torque.  Might work for you.

John
--- Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think a good way to do a plug-in hybrid is to take
> a FWD car, and add
> an electric motor to drive the rear wheels.
> Then you can use the electric motor around town, and
> use the gas motor
> on the freeway.
>
> I've been building just such a car, I've converted
> one rear wheel into a
> driven wheel powered by an electric motor.
> However, I'm having trouble and could use some
> suggestions.  I
> originally used a 1" wide belt drive to power the
> wheel, but the belt would
> slip when enough torque was applied to move the car.
>
> So I've changed it to use a chain drive.  The
> problem now is the chain
> makes a huge amount of noise!  more noise than ICE
> does.
> Has anyone else done a chain or belt drive setup?
> Are there chain
> drives that are not so noisy?  Or belts that can
> handle a lot of torque.
> A 3" wide belt?
> I'm considering trying the snowmobile CVT setup, but
> its a little
> expensive for this project.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack

Never miss an email again!

Hello Jack,

I was about to do this type of hybrid before I built my 77 El Camino EV back
in 1985.  I found a 88 front wheel drive Buick that the rear section of the
trunk area was shear off.  I could not find another 88 front wheel drive
Buick.  I would have connected the front of the car to the rear section of
the other car facing rearward.

Replace that one engine with a motor, but leave the steering unit and dash
for the electric motor control system.  You could drive the car in one
direction using the engine, and drive in the reversed direction using the
motor.

The car would look like it would go down the road backwards. Have someone
sit in the rear and wave to a cop pretending that you are driving the car
backwards.

> I think a good way to do a plug-in hybrid is to take a FWD car, and add
> an electric motor to drive the rear wheels.
> Then you can use the electric motor around town, and use the gas motor
> on the freeway.
>
> I've been building just such a car, I've converted one rear wheel into a
> driven wheel powered by an electric motor.
> However, I'm having trouble and could use some suggestions.  I
> originally used a 1" wide belt drive to power the wheel, but the belt
> would
> slip when enough torque was applied to move the car.
> So I've changed it to use a chain drive.  The problem now is the chain
> makes a huge amount of noise!  more noise than ICE does.
> Has anyone else done a chain or belt drive setup?   Are there chain
> drives that are not so noisy?  Or belts that can handle a lot of torque.
> A 3" wide belt?
> I'm considering trying the snowmobile CVT setup, but its a little
> expensive for this project.
>
> Thanks,
> Jack

Steve,

I don't recall the circuit but in general it's bad for a
capacitor (this is no doubt an electrolytic capacitor or Elco)
to be charged in the opposite direction. About as bad as cell
reversal in a battery - it quickly destroys the component.
Best way to protect from this is to use a combination of two
diodes (though Lee may have a way to use only one ;-)
1. diode D1 from the capacitor plus to the contactor
2. diode D2 bypassing both capacitor and first diode to supply 12V directly.
The first diode will prevent that the capacitor is discharged below zero.
If the first diode is omitted and only the second diode present across
the capacitor then it is discharged to the *negative* voltage of the
forward drop of the second diode.
This is likely below 1V and not very harmful for an Elco,
though in the long run it may not really like it.
Since the EV is not run very often, relatively speaken, less
than 3% of the time my EV is run, the other 97% it is "off"
or recharging.
When the contactor is not used during recharging the short time
it is used with a negative voltage will likely not hurt the Elco.
It is easy to apply two diodes though, so why take the chance?
   +-----------+----+
  _|_         _|_   |
   ^           ^    | contactor coil
  /_\ D2   D1 /_\   +-UUUU-+
   |   _____   |           |
o--++-|_____|--+           |
+   |    R     |           |
12v |         ---          |
    |         ---          |
    |          | C         |
    |          o           o
    |           \ S1        \ S2
    +--------o   \o      o   \o
                  |      |
GND               |      |
o-----------------+------+

Contactor coil is energized with 24V when S1 and S2 contacts are
closed simultaneously.
It is even possible to use a "Start" double-pole push-button to
close S1 and S2 and have a helper-contact on the contactor closing
in parallel to S2 to keep it energized. A second break-contact
"Stop" push-button can break the helper-contact circuit, which
de-energizes the contactor.
The values of C and R determine how quick the capacitor C recharges
to 12V to energize the contactor again.
For example a 10 Ohm, 10W resistor will allow to re-close the
contactor after about 10 seconds with a 1 Farad capacitor.
NOTE that the capacitor must be really big, around 1 Farad or more
(that is 1,000,000 uF) otherwise it cannot deliver several amps
for a fraction of a second.
This is the reason that commercial economizer circuits will usually
either have a simple series resistor switched into the contactor
coil circuit (for example in the helper contact), or use a PWM
(Pulse Width Modulation) circuit to drop voltage.

I have a contactor that draws more than 10A at 12V, the PWM circuit
drops that to less than 2V, 2A so below 4W after the initial burst
of way over 100W, which quickly heats up the coil. With the PWM
circuit, only 1/3 Amp is drawn from the 12V battery after the
initial 10+ Amp burst.

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Proxim Wireless Corporation   http://www.proxim.com
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water       IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675        eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

[...]

Oh yes, in case a suppression diode is used, it is wired across
the coil as shown below. It does not influence the voltage doubler
at all, because the suppression diode only activates after opening
contact S2 (de-energizing the coil).
The resistor in series with the diode allows the coil to de-energize
quickly, else the risk of contacts opening slowly and sparking/welding
of the contactor is likely.
Instead of diode plus resistor also a voltage suppressor can be used
with rating higher than 12V as they usually are bi-directional and
they may conduct when the coil is normally energized.

The value of the resistor should match the supply current and
voltage for the coil.
For example if 2 Amp is flowing at 12V then the resistor should be
around 6 Ohms to get only 24V across S2 when opening.

[...]
   |   _____   |   _|_      |
o--++-|_____|--+    ^       |
+   |    R     |   /_\      |
12v |         ---   |  ___  |
    |         ---   +-|___|-+
    |          | C          |
    |          o            o
    |           \ S1         \ S2
    +--------o   \o       o   \o
                  |       |
[...]

Sorry this is wrong they did the Smart Car.

On 1/31/07, james s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sorry Tony as far as I know the Maya-100 is and was the only one.  I think
Electrovaya has now built a Mini Copper into an EV and is trying to get into
the European market.  This is all the info I could get out of someone in the
Toronto EAA chapter that has dealings with Electrovaya.

James

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

On 1/30/07, Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.electrovaya.com/av/ZEV_video.mpg
>
> You guys might have seen this already, but it's the first time I've seen
> it, and it looks really cool! Anyone have any ideas as to the
> cost/availability of this car?
>
>             - Tony

And then of course there is always the typing error, like when someone
means to say 1.73 AH but types 1.73 WH (Dooh!)

Date: Tuesday, 6th February
Time: 7:30PM (for 8:00PM start)
Location: Norwest McDonald's
Norwest Business Park
6 Celebration Drive, BELLA VISTA
(Off Old Windsor Rd)

See http://sydneyaeva.googlepages.com/ for more information.

Cheers,
Claudio

Randy Burleson kirjoitti 3.2.2007 kello 20.46:

That last column, MJ/km -- is that efficiency or energy required to make
that km?

Randii

It´s energy.

Osmo

Quoted and re-aligned for enhance readability...
Here are some figures from a book "Electric vehicle technology" by
James
Larmine & John Lowry (2003). (The data is originally from Hoogers
(ed.)
(2003) Fuel Cell Technology Handbook):

                  NOx(g/km)  Sox    CO    PM        CO2    Energy
(MJ/km)
Gasoline ICE      0.26       0.2    2.3   0.01      209    3.16
Diesel ICE        0.57       0.13   0.65  0.05      154    2.36
CNG ICE           0.1        0.01   0.05  <0.0001   158    2.74
Battery car UK    0.54       0.74   0.09  0.05      104    1.98
Battery car CCGT  0.17       0.06   0.08  0.0001    88.1   1.71

The first battery car uses current UK electricity mix, the second one
electricity from state-of-the-art combined cycle gas turbine (CCGT)
generators supplied with natural gas.

The CNG ICE was assumed to have the same energy use as the gasoline
vehicle,
but with 10 % better efficiency, i.e. 16.5 %.

These are well-to-wheel figures.

terveisin,
Osmo

--- Begin Message --- The early solectria cars used a belt drive system and it has pulleys that are cogged and the belt is a polychain belt.The belts and pulleys are available at www.mibelting.com and you can call them with your specs and shaft sizes and they are real helpful.
Mike young-- solectria force cars
----- Original Message ----- From: "xx xx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>