  1) Re: Affordable Solar
        by Jerry McIntire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) WKtEC movie showing & EV Ride 'n Drive in North Palm Beach Feb. 16
        by "Charles Whalen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: What Women Want
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) EVAutoX.com Launched to Serve EV AutoCross Enthusiasts
        by "Shawn Waggoner, FLEAA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) OT? Re History and Costs of Hydrogen as Fuel  Re: H2-Hoax
        by "Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: A123 pictures
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: WKtEC movie showing in Anchorage Feb. 16
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) What do people know about Zapi components?
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Repairing lead-acid batteries
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Electric Cars are for Girls
        by nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Newbie: looking for information to get started on a Dodge Neon
ICE--->EV conversion - LONG
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: What do people know about Zapi components?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 14) Re: A123 pictures
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: A123 pictures
 16) Re: Newbie: looking for information to get started on a Dodge Neon
      ICE--->EV conversion - LONG
 17) Hi all
        by "sushrut patgaonkar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Affordable Solar
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Middle aged men
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Looking for a 12 V / 5 Amp minimum isolated charger for AGM batts
        by Steve Powers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) RE: A123 pictures
        by Tim Humphrey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) back in motion
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 26) Re: Soneil Chargers
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 27) Re: Newbie: looking for information to get started on a Dodge Neon
ICE--->EV conversion - LONG
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: Lead acid golf cart batteries, GC2 size
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: Looking for a 12 V / 5 Amp minimum isolated charger for AGM batts
Ryan,

My wife works in this field. Everyone in her office has the same question, "How can they possibly make any money doing this?"

They are counting on a new lower-cost silicon source AND a new technology that has been announced but not put into production which would increase the output from the less expensive, lower grade silicon they propose using. They don't have systems ready to go, they are fishing for money, and I wouldn't put any money in it because the likelihood of you seeing a working solar system in return is very low.

They may be counting on government tax credits to turn a loss leader into profits, but those incentives are awfully fickle.

Jerry

There will be a free showing of the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
followed by a discussion forum and EV Ride 'n Drive opportunity this coming
Friday, February 16 in North Palm Beach, Florida at:

Unitarian Church of North Palm Beach
635 Prosperity Farms Road
North Palm Beach, FL 33408

Directions: From I-95 take Northlake Blvd exit 77. Go east 1.5 miles.
Turn left on Prosperity Farms Rd. Go north 0.5 mile. The Unitarian
Church is on the left.

The movie will start at 7pm.  All are welcome.

A good article.

"I'm thinking of EV demos in supermarket carparks.." -That´s what I ´ve been thinking also! And why not even give a car for a day for testing?

Young people are another potential customer group, since they are unprejudiced. EV´s (3-wheelers?) could be a kind of subculture thing, a way to distiguish themselves from old folks.

We middle-aged men are a lost cause I´m afraid...

terveisin,
Osmo

Roderick Wilde kirjoitti 12.2.2007 kello 5.37:

Please read this article from Lynne's friend at My Green Wheels on the other side of the pond. It is a very interesting take on things. http://www.mygreenwheels.com/what-women-want/

Roderick Wilde

Hi Everyone,

Following the huge success of the autocross event at the recent Battery
Beach Burnout hosted by the Florida Electric Auto Association in Jupiter,
Florida this past January, several enthusiasts have formed a special
interest group for EV Autocross Enthusiast everywhere.

EVAutoX is a group of Electric Vehicle (EV) enthusiasts, racers, and
professionals dedicated to the promotion of Electric Vehicle Autocross
racing activities around the world.

The mission of EVAutox is to provide a public forum via appropriate media
for the collaboration required to successfully promote and manage safe
practices for EV Autocross. The objectives of EVAutox are to:

- provide framework for the development of necessary documentation and tools
that help promote Autocross in the EV community.
- establish and document related standards and practices for EV Autocross
racing activities
- provide a framework for repeatable event hosting within the EV community
- establish relationships with appropriate organizations who can help
further the promotion of EV Autocross in order to incorporate safety
guidelines and standards in additional Autocross venues outside of the EV
community

Our goal is to have interested people from around the community discuss
issues in the forum and present these ideas in the WIKI as a guideline for
the community at large.

The website (http://www.EVAutoX.com) is open to everyone and features News
about the world of EV Autocross, a User Forum to discuss topics related to
EV Autocross and Collaboration Tools (Wiki) for the development of
documentation for public use in coordinating EV AutoXevents.

The EVAutoX group and website are co-sponsored by Suncoast Electric Vehicle
Outfitters (www.suncoast.net) and Harvey Coachworks and EV
(www.hevimotors.com)

Thanks,

Shawn Waggoner,
Suncoast EV Outfitter/FLEAA

Mike Harvey
Harvey Coachworks and EV

Fred,

Paul already provided the answer and the reference to the 914
forum has it in even more detail:
- if your brake cylinder diameter increased with the disk brakes,
  then you have more stopping power (at the cost of larger
  pedal travel)
- if your disk brake cylinders are the same diameter as the drums
  then they apply the same force to the brakes. It now depends on
  the pad material if you have higher friction or not.
- if the disk brake cylinders have smaller diameter than the drums
  then the force on the brakes is now lower, so your stopping
  power has likely deteriorated, though you should have a very
  firm feeling pedal (little travel). The BPM can help you to
  increase force on the brakes at the cost of larger pedal travel.

This BPM work in the same way as a pulley system can help you to
lift 2,000 lbs of weight with only 100 lbs of force, by making the
travel of the chain twenty times larger than the lift provided on
the 2,000 lbs object. The power reduces, the energy stays the same
(force x distance) just like using different gears.

Hope this clarifies,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Proxim Wireless Corporation   http://www.proxim.com
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water       IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675        eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

From: "Peter VanDerWal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 18:35:20 -0700 (MST)

Were you experiencing brake fade due to long down hills or frequent stops
from high speed?

THe big advantage of disc brakes is that they can shed heat faster and
avoid fading (to some extent).

That certainly is one advantage, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Drum brakes are generally " self-actuating" by design, That is, most of the force that pushes the shoes against the inside of the drums is caused by the friction force of the drums on the shoes. Only a relatively small actuation force is required to start this chain reaction. That is why drum brake systems can easily get away without power assist. Think of it as being similar to a rope brake that you can make by wrapping a rope several times around a tree. You only need a small force on one end to control a very large tension force at the other end.

The downside of this self-actuating system is that the final braking torque is not linear with the coefficient of friction between the shoes and drum. It's a much stronger function of the friction coefficient So, a small drop in friction coefficient ( due to temperature rise, for example) can reduce the stopping force drastically. This is what used to be called "brake fade".

With disc brakes, the stopping torque is linearly proportional to the friction coefficient. A small ( or moderate) change in that coefficient doesn't have nearly as strong an effect on the stopping power.

Phil

Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG
Hmmmm....

I wouldn't expect the Milwaukee packs to work in DeWalt chargers.  ;-)

But I got the gist.

12 days since the fire, and the batteries and 4 new one's are back in and
wired. I'm back on the road with some improvements to prevent further fire
(with more cable shielding where they cross the opposing voltage), more
venting (necesarily because the bed cover tarp burnt in spots)
A nice 2" PVC conduit from front to back for the cable to keep from sagging
below the frame like before.
And inner pack fuses
Did I mention Fire Extinguisher on board?

Have yet to reawaken the batteries and get range back after our 25 degree
cold snap for the last 12 days.
Spent 6 hours yesterday at a tropical 37 degrees F assembling battery pack.

Charging along,
Ben

On 10 Feb 2007 at 21:57, Darryl McMahon wrote:

> The chargers do shut off, and then monitor the battery voltage.  When
> the voltage sinks down to a set-point (for example, on the 1212SR, it is 13.8
> volts).  When the battery drops to this voltage, the charger turns on again
> until the battery reaches 14.4 volts.

I wouldn't call this "shutting off."  This sounds like the behavior of the
inexpensive cycle-dropping chargers you get at the auto stores.  Such a
charger should not be left connected to the battery.

On 12 Feb 2007 at 9:47, Peter VanDerWal wrote:

> Can they [Saft STM nicad] sustain >=1C discharge?

They're not high current batteries.  About 2C is as high as you should go.
The best application for them is a lightweight EV where their relatively
modest power capability delivers good performance.

You'll find tech info on these batteries in the EVDL library :

http://www.evdl.org/lib/

On 10 Feb 2007 at 20:27, Rod Hower wrote:

> I just stopped by Sam's Club today and noticed
> a pretty good sized golf cart battery priced at $61.
> Seems like a good deal?

Aren't these the batteries that cost $45 a few years ago?

On 12 Feb 2007 at 8:44, Steve Powers wrote:

> Someone once posted something about a 12 V charger that was good for AGMs
>   (optimas in that thread) that had "lite" in the name, but I don't remember
>   what it was.  Clip light?

Cliplight is right.  They manufacture (or at least used to) NAPA brand
chargers.  Zap used to sell the same chargers under their name, and on the
EVDL they've thus been referred to as "Zap blinking chargers."  Some have
also been sold under the Exide brand.  I've seen them in 6 amp and 10 amp
flavors, and there might be others.

They're not particularly sophisticated, but they work tolearably well for
their cost.  I've been using them for charging 8G24 Deka Dominators in my
Elec-Trak for 7 or 8 years now.

One caution, because of their rather crude charge control, they can take a
LONG time, as much as 24 hours, to reach full charge. They might not be
satisfactory for an EV that was driven daily.