  1) Re: Any suggestions for electric heater cores for pack voltages over
300vdc?
        by "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Handling plasmaboyracing.com blog comments
        by MARK DUTKO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Soft-linking WAS/ Cost to drive a EV
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  4) RE: Soft-linking WAS/ Cost to drive a EV
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Comparison of Flat and Round Battery Cables
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Soft-linking WAS/ Cost to drive a EV
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Flooded Battery State of Charge Question
        by "Nawaz Qureshi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Handling plasmaboyracing.com blog comments
        by Mark Farver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Sunrise, was: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Sunrise, was: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: what does unsprung mass or weight mean?
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Handling plasmaboyracing.com blog comments
        by Mark Dutko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Solectria AC system: #AC24 and #DMOC445 $6.5k. Good or not?
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Speaking of Hybrids
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Introductions
        by Tony Hwang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Introductions
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: DC-DC converter on Ebay
        by "Mark Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) RE: Soft-linking WAS/ Cost to drive a EV
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Paul Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Always something to consider, how to defrost in the winter.  Has
anyone
> come across a ceramic heater core that would be appropriate for pack
> voltages between 300 and 400vdc?
>
> Paul Wallace

I needd somethign to discharge a pack of cells with recently, at 72V,
and so the only thing which I had to hand was an AC hot air paint
stripper gun. The motor is like that of an electric drill, it's brushed
and works similarly to a 'universal motor'
Two of those in series will give you a lot of heat.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I don't believe in censorship unless it is inappropriate language, etc. I would have a FAQ link or boiler response with useful links. I have some negative responses on some areas of my blog and I have left them up and there have been some good responses. This is the nature of a blog IMO, not to control the responses unless inappropriate. If you want just a comments section then indicate that the blog owner will not be responding, etc.

www.electricyaris.com

On Feb 15, 2007, at 9:00 AM, Mark Farver wrote:

John Wayland's website has the option to post comments about articles he's written. It hasn't been terribly useful, most of the comments are either spam, or "How can I build my own EV?" type questions. Only a few comments are actually about the post.

Right now, I delete the spam and the newbie posts. I hate doing that, but I don't have the time to introduce several dozen people a month to the EV world. What do you all think should be done?

I see a few options:
1. Disable the comment section. John likes the idea of it, but its really not being used.

2. Have a boilerplate reply to these types of inquiries that has a list of links and suggestions on where to start looking. (Anyone want to write one, or can you suggest a website that serves the same purpose?)

It looks like the Car and Driver article featuring Wayland will hit newsstands shortly, so I expect a big uptick in traffic to the website.

John's been learning html and writing his own content for the site, but images of his cars, videos or articles written by others about him or his vehicles are always appreciated. Feel free to email anything you have to me. If there are any HTML layout masters who would be willing to spare a few minutes let me know. Right now the mainpage has one button that has a font that doesn't match the others, and a really old school table based layout that could be cleaned up.

Thanks
Mark Farver

Cor

What size wire would you use for the buddy pair soft links? This would be
basically what Lee brought up in a different post would be like a  fusible link.

Don

In a message dated 2/14/2007 7:50:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Ralph,

You describe the perfect world, where everything is in  equilibrium and what
is not will move there.
Now consider that some  technologies will drop in voltage when the battery
heats up.
This is the  opposite of equilibrium:
- if one battery happens to have a lower  resistance or lower SOC then it
gets more current
- due to the higher  current, it warms up more than the buddy pair and gets
even more  current
- this can lead to a runaway situation, where one battery hogs all  current
(on charge as well
as on discharge!) so there effectively  is no buddy pairing, it is one
effective battery,
but the current  limit and expected capacity are for the buddy pair, so not
only does  the
good battery get hit with double current, it will also be run  down to
empty when you
think that you are using 50%  DOD.

Now I am not even addressing faults like a short in one cell or a  different
temperature to start with and other failures that batteries can  develop and
which are potential fatal in typical un-fused buddy  pairs.
Let the evidence be clear that of the few EVs that ever  self-destructed
(fire), there is an unexpected high percentage with  buddy-paired batteries.
One such occurrence was the Porsche Flambe' of  Michael Bearden, who had his
car parked outside his garage and was not  charging it due to circumstances,
normally he would have lost his garage  with other EVs (Goggomobile 36Volts)
and all his tools and equipment.

One way that you can make safer buddy-pairs is by 'soft-linking'  them.
Build two series strings with heavy duty cable.
Then use thin  cable (preferably with simple automotive fuses) to wire the
pairs of  battery-connecting cable together, this will give the wanted
buddy-pairing  with voltage equalization but will avoid any high currents in
case of  malfunction of one of the buddy-pairs. Battery regulators should
still be  OK with only one per pair as typical currents through regulators
are small.  They should also tell when one battery develops a problem and the
voltage  gets too high or too low too  soon.

Regards,
Cor.