        by "Joe Vitek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Safe Travels
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: EV digest 6427
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  5) Re: EV digest 6427
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  6) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
  7) Re: Lithium Technology, Innosys complete electric car conversion
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) New to List
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 11) Copper buss bars...
        by "Andrew A." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Wide vs Skinny Tires LRR
 13) Re: NiMH Batteries (was Re: Introductions)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) State of Charge vs. OC Voltage
        by "Nawaz Qureshi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: First post
        by Robert Lemke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Brush Replacement Tips?
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Flooded Battery State of Charge Question
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Ovonic's NiMH battery info needed
        by "Noel P. Luneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Solectria Force NiMH Conversion
        by "Noel P. Luneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Capacitor  Range Helper
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Remember, this is a composite car. The builder will have to
bond the various composite pieces together in any case.

Roger Stockton wrote:
I was really hoping that you would be designing the kit such that the
builder doesn't have to do any composite work at all.  That is, the
body/chassis would arrive as a single piece to which the builder would
simply bolt on the suspension bits from the donor car(s), etc., and then
attach the doors, etc.

Yes, eventually. But we are a year or two away from being able to do this.

The earliest adopters will just have a set of plans, and parts lists. As we progress, and get some sales to fund things, we can offer key parts that require tooling or molds. For instance, buying the chassis or body in pieces that you assemble.

But labor is expensive. It will always be that the more you can do yourself, the cheaper it will be to build.

The adjustable/telescoping halfshaft that Roland came across certainly
sounds like a perfect solution, if you can find them for the T-bird.

I found that these are parts from American Axle's plant in Three Rivers MI. Interestingly enough, they make complete front and rear suspension packages. I'm looking into whether they might be suitable.

I don't suppose you'd consider widening the whole car by 3" so that
the stock T'bird 61" track would fit within the still narrower than
front track?

Just leave the body as-is, and use wheel rims with a negative offset. Or let the wheels stick out the sides; the kids seem to think that's cool. :-P

> One last question: Is it possible to receive these messages in digest
> format? I only joined yesterday and I've already received nearly 200
> individual messages, and my inbox is difficult to navigate as a result.
>
> If you've actually read this far, thanks a bunch for your time,

Wow, I'm glad I did! Yes, there is a digest and I am on it too (someone may have
answered this in the real time).

To set digest mode (messages are treasured up until they reach some magical
large quantity, and then are sent to you in one great lump, which may happen
several times a day):

Send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

That has this in the subject line and/or in the body:

set ev mail digest

Send this from the email from which you subscribed and you will be set to digest
and the torrential downpour of emails will be bundled up for ease of reading.
You may still get some real time messages for a little bit until the command is
received and implemented in the list server software.

Glad to see you are taking the plunge!

--
joe vitek

Put a Shrimp on the Barbi  for me, and watch out for Sharks...
--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thanks for spelling out the AGM acronym; I wasn't sure what the difference was between that and gel sealed. I'll keep this type of battery in mind, as most people seem to agree it's one of the best options. Thanks!

On Feb 16, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Electric Vehicle Discussion List wrote:

I would spend just a little more and go with the AGM (absorbed glass mat) over the gel for a couple of reasons. Like the gel they are maintance free, but also don't sag on voltage during high current demands. Plus they can be charged and discharged at much higher rates. In my truck I use flooded and they sag like crazy. In another vehicle I use AGM's and really like them.

--- Begin Message --- That Corvair Ultravan is ginormous!! I don't want to drive something that big; plus I don't need that much room. I'd rather have a van- size camper if I can find something affordable to buy second hand.

On Feb 16, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Electric Vehicle Discussion List wrote:

Another thought (a pet idea of mine ;-) is to pick a different vehicle, one more suited to be an EV motor home. Google "ultravan". This is an ultralight ultraefficient 22 ft. motorhome, built more like an airplane than a truck. An electric/hybrid ultravan might be ideal for the kind of lifestyle you are thinking of.

I'll look up this "ultravan" to see what I can find. I've never heard of it before now.

Thanks for the info! :)

Umm, skinny doesn't ALWAYS win.  There is more to LRR than just the width.
 If all else is equal, skinny is /probably/ better, but not necessarily.
> Hi,
>
>   Is there a formulae for tire width vs LRR?  I need to buy new tires for
> my electric Porsche and there are P155, P165 and P195 options.  I assume
> that the skinnier tire always wins in LRR but by what measureable
> percentage?  Is there measureable data or a formulae for width, are we
> talking about 5% range difference (or MPG) or is it a fraction of a
> percent?  When wider tires are used there's obviously a larger contact
> patch area but the pressure to the road per square inch is decreased so
> it may not be a huge percentage.
>
>   Best Regards,
>   Mark
>

> ---------------------------------
> The fish are biting.
>  Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing.

On Feb 16, 2007, at 12:06 AM, Ryan Stotts wrote:

Why do all these companies keep putting similar sized packs in the
vehicles and all get in the low 100 mile range?

My guess is money, and time to recharge.

We've already been through the math on the 1000-mile pack - nobody can afford the electrical service to recharge it in less than a day.

100 mile range begins to sound feasible to Joe Sixpack, so that's probably the least expensive EV that will sell.

If you were to do a minimax algorithm on perceived useful mileage, cost, and time to recharge, you'd probably end up with the vehicles we're seeing (well, with the vehicle SPECS we seeing, as the actual vehicles are pretty thin on the ground).

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

A single data point: An older Corvette went 10 mph faster on the Salt Flats
when switching from the stock wide tires to skinny tires (like to a drag
skinny). Alot of this might have been better aero, and some perhaps due to
better gearing due to different tire diameter. Still, it is a significant
improvement at those speeds.

I'm interested in this formula as well.  I have fairly large tires
275/60/15 - about 10 inches wide and I'm thinking about changing them to
a narrower tire.  Would my money be well spent here?

John Grigg
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/723

  Is there a formulae for tire width vs LRR?  I need to buy new tires
for my electric Porsche and there are P155, P165 and P195 options.  I
assume that the skinnier tire always wins in LRR but by what measureable
percentage?  Is there measureable data or a formulae for width, are we
talking about 5% range difference (or MPG) or is it a fraction of a
percent?  When wider tires are used there's obviously a larger contact
patch area but the pressure to the road per square inch is decreased so
it may not be a huge percentage.

  Best Regards,

The fish are biting.
COUNTY OF SACRAMENTO EMAIL DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and
privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review,
copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by other
than the County of Sacramento or the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.

If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately
and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any
attachments thereto.

Also, it would be great data for the list if you could do coastdowns before and
after. I'd be happy to do the math on it.

[...]

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

In a message dated 2/16/2007 12:57:59 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I  figured maybe as someone with experience with this
particular item  would be able to give me more information about it
without my having  to suffer through marketer speak on the company's
website. I'll  visit the URL and see what I can find out on my  own.>>>

I'm fairly new to the EV scene as well - just crossed the 1,000 mile mark  on
my three-wheeled BMW motorcycle/golf cart vehicle since last September.   I
found that a mix of visiting sites (and emailing and calling the people who
are selling this stuff) and lurking and asking on this List to be a real
learning tool.  Some of the inpatience you may have picked up on is due to  the
fact
that new folks, like you and me, come onboard and ask the same  questions
that have already been covered a number of times.  The archives  are INVALUABLE
to "catch up" on all this data.  In
my emails and direct phone calls, I have found the EV suppliers to be
friendly, encouraging and VERY informative, even though I'm not buying a lot
yet....

Matt  Parkhouse
Colorado Springs, CO
BMW m/c-Golf Cart trike - 48 volts, 30mph  on the flat, 35 mile range
1972 VW Van - to be converted this  year!

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of wiring up my truck (120v
system, 9" Kostov) and I've decided that I want to use
copper buss bars instead of 2/0 and lugs for some of
the shorter connections.

I was just wondering, what size copper do I need to
use for this? I was thinking something along the lines
of 1/16" or 3/32" by 1". Does that make sense?

The other thing is, where do I find copper? I was
thinking about flattening some pipe, but the only pipe
I can find is thin-wall. Any thoughts on where I could
find thick-wall tubing?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

The skinner tire theory is not valid.  An NEV with the tires from a Honda
Insight will climb hills better and have a higher top speed.  Depending on
weight I'd get a 14 inch wheel and put the proper B381 Bridgestone size on
for the weight carrying capacity you need.  Lawrence Rhodes....
>   Is there a formulae for tire width vs LRR?  I need to buy new tires for
my electric Porsche and there are P155, P165 and P195 options.  I assume
that the skinnier tire always wins in LRR but by what measureable
percentage?  Is there measureable data or a formulae for width, are we
talking about 5% range difference (or MPG) or is it a fraction of a percent?
When wider tires are used there's obviously a larger contact patch area but
the pressure to the road per square inch is decreased so it may not be a
huge percentage.

>   Best Regards,
>   Mark
>

> ---------------------------------
> The fish are biting.
>  Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search Marketing.

Ian Hooper wrote:
Interesting about the Cobasys/Chevron relationship, why am I not surprised!?

There are a few Chinese manufacturers of large capacity NiMHs, e.g http://nthaiyang.en.alibaba.com/. They are pretty expensive though, I got quoted US$153ea for 1.2V, 80Ah (600A peak discharge) cells, so it's heading towards $20K for a ~10kWh pack! Ouch.

The option I'm currently looking at are Sub-Cs, due to their high discharge rate (>10C). Manufacturer direct, they're about US$1.50 each for 1.2v 3.5Ah, I'll need about 2500 of them for 10kWh. So twice the price of the best lead acid, but half the weight and hopefully longer cycle life. Using that many individual cells seems silly, but it has been done before, e.g the Tesla Roadster, or White Lightning

Lots of people are trying to use hundreds to thousands of small cells
to make an EV sized battery pack. There are lots of problems! Frankly, I'm pessimistic -- NO ONE has any long-term experience yet. I think it works in the short term, but will prove impractical in the long run (too expensive, too unreliable). But, time will tell!

Sorry that the html format could not be opened. I am posting it in plain
text, but my table is destroyed by doing so. You guys can redo the table
from the numbers so that it makes sense. I will align it here as well. Good
luck!

U.S. Battery Manufacturing Company

APPROXIMATE STATE OF CHARGE TABLE for a Nominal 6 Volt Battery.
Open Circuit Voltage*   Acid Specific Gravity @ 80° F   State of Charge, %
6.3 or greater                  1.265 or greater                        100
6.2 to 6.3                      1.225                                   75
to 100
6.1 to 6.2                      1.190                                   50
to 75
6.0 to 6.1                      1.155                                   25
to 50
5.85 to 6.0                     1.120                                     0
to 25
5.85 or less                    1.120 or less
0

* after several hours stand.

Nawaz Qureshi

Vice-President of Engineering

U.S. Battery Mfg. Co.

1675 Sampson Avenue

Corona, CA 92879-1889

T: 951-371-8090

Fax: 951-371-4671

You can get 1200 watts of solar panels into a rack of  8.5' X 12'. That works
out to be (28) 43 watt panels all wired in series to charge your 336 volt
battery bank if you choose to go with an AC motor/inverter combo. If you plan
to leave van unused for long periods of time you will need either a charge
controller or a switch to turn off the panels as they can overcharge your
batteries. Solar panels are set to have about 17 volts output so that the
charge does not slow down as the battery bank reaches full charge. Current
would only be about 2 amps, so you could use 12 AWG braided wire for easy
hook-up. Each hour in the sun would give you about 3 miles.

  Bob

Crystal Silver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Yes, I know it's better than wasting the oil, but I just think
they're getting a little greedy that's all. I'd be doing them a
service, after all by taking their trash off their hands so they no
longer have to deal with it. Yes, I'm becoming a bit of a cheapskate,
but it's a necessary evil for me at the moment that can't be easily
remedied. ;)

I'll keep reading up on it. We'll see what happens. Thanks for the info!

On Feb 16, 2007, at 3:05 PM, chris lewis wrote:

> [...]
>
> Chris
>

> Crystal Silver wrote:
>
>> All the stuff I've read about bio-diesel operation sounds
>> complicated - like having to run the diesel motor with gasoline
>> first then turning over to the "grease" power after the engine is
>> warmed up, and stuff like that...then carrying the veggie oils in
>> the trunk and doing filtering every time...are there instructions
>> somewhere that make it as simple as what you've made it sound?
>> And will my vehicle constantly wreak of french fries? I've also
>> read that some places in the U.S. are getting wind of this and
>> are starting to charge people to take their used grease. I'm not
>> sure how prevalent this practice is, but sounds like something
>> they'd try to profit from here. Does bio diesel require changing
>> the oil the same as regular gasoline? Is everything else the same
>> as operating a regular guzzle-mobile?
>>
>> I do know that diesel engines were originally designed for this
>> purpose, but I have never actually gone through the process of
>> figuring out how to implement it myself. But I did see one of
>> Morgan Spurlock's programs one time where they were filming at
>> the Dancing Rabbit eco-village (in Missouri?), and all the steps
>> they had to go through just to make their vehicle operate seemed
>> a bit counter- productive. Just getting a fill-up seemed to be an
>> all-day ordeal.
>>
>> I am interested in hearing more about this, however, as the more
>> efficiently and inexpensively (and quickly) I can get up-and-
>> running the better.
>>
>> Thanks for the info.
>>

>> On Feb 16, 2007, at 1:05 PM, chris lewis wrote:
>>
>>> From reading your requirements and the environment you'll be in
>>> ie; the locations I dont think an EV is going to be practical.
>>> You might want to consider something that's catching on here in
>>> Europe..... bio fuel - cooking oil or like the Brits say chip
>>> fat. The diesel engine was originally design to run on oil seed,
>>> not fossil fuels.
>>>
>>> So take a diesel engine vehicle, swap the fuel filter, run the
>>> take dry of diesel, refill with cooking oil (used chip fat is
>>> free! you just need to filter it). Start engine, engage
>>> transmission, drive off.
>>>
>>> chris

>>> --
>>>
>>> + 44(0) 7770 604 380
>>>
>>> The information in this email is confidential and privileged and
>>> is intended solely for the addressee. Any disclosure, copying
>>> or distribution of this email and attachments is strictly
>>> prohibited and unlawful unless with express permission of sender
>>> detailed.
>>>

> --
>
> + 44(0) 7770 604 380
>
> The information in this email is confidential and privileged and is
> intended solely for the addressee. Any disclosure, copying or
> distribution of this email and attachments is strictly prohibited
> and unlawful unless with express permission of sender detailed.

Hey Peter

I find it easier to lift the springs using a small
hook.  These can be made using an old coat hanger.
Even though these brushes are a straight angled brush
(meaning they can't be put in backwards) there is a
little trick I've learned.  The brush lead terminal
has a dimpled side where they punched the hole
through.  If you face it so it's the side that rests
against the holder then the lead will bite as the
screw is tightened and will not try to twist (or turn)
when the screw tightens down.  The other side has a
slight bow and doesn't seat as well against the holder
making for a poorer connection and the lead can turn
as the screw is tightened.

Anyway hope this helps, it should be an easy proccess.
Cya

--- Peter Eckhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> On Saturday the Triangle Electric Auto Association
> is going to do their
> first brush replacement on an 8" ADC.  The owner has
> ordered the brushes
> and they should be here by now.  The motor is in a
> Geo Metro.  We've
> read Convert It!! Any other tips?
>
> Peter

The fish are biting.

On 15 Feb 2007 at 10:36, Nawaz Qureshi wrote:

> REMAINDER OF MESSAGE TRUNCATED

Nawaz tried to send a table containing SOC vs Voltage information, but the
listserver clipped it (since html is, for good reasons, a no-no).  I've
posted the table here :

http://evdl.org/pages/socvolts.html

This chart will remain available indefinitely as part of the EVDL library :

http://evdl.org/lib/

BTW, I've recently tidied up some of the pages at evdl.org.  I'd done a bit
of rewriting and added a simple logo at the head of the pages (not all of
them have the logo yet; give me time. ;-)

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Hi Victor,

Did you ever figure out a charging profile for the Ovonics?

I have my Force apart and am looking at reprogramming the BC3300
(NLG412) charger and the ACM325 motor controller.  I may be able to
accomplish this as there is a working Force near me, but was wondering
if you had any suggestions.

However, what I don't have is a BTMS for the Ovonics that will drive the
customm air cooled fans that I will have to assemble and manage the
charging profile. I was wondering what you use/suggest for these touchy
batteries.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to what to use for a BTMS?

Thanks,

Noel L