  3) Re: NiMH D size battery closeout
  4) Re: NiMH D size battery closeout
  5) Re: An idea for the EVAlbum
  6) RE: Battery charger recommendation
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: NiMH D size battery closeout
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: An idea for the EVAlbum
        by "FRED JEANETTE MERTENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: At what cd (drag coef) and roof size for a van would the drag of the
vehicle be less than the electricity generating rate of pv's on the roof?
        by "FRED JEANETTE MERTENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: An idea for the EVAlbum
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: An idea for the EVAlbum
        by "David O'Neel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: Commutator Controller
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: NiMH D size battery closeout
        by Jack Murray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: NiMH D size battery closeout
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) "New" motors for the KillaCycle
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: NiMH D size battery closeout
        by Ian Hooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Battery charger recommendation
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 18) Re: Battery charger recommendation
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) RE: EV conversion questions
        by Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: Ovonic's NiMH battery info needed
        by "Noel P. Luneau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: NiMH D size battery closeout
        by Ray Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: "New" motors for the KillaCycle
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Electric Motorcycle History Help needed
        by lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) EVLN(Concord ZAP dealer: "We cant make much of a profit")
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
At 06:26 PM 20/02/07 -0600, George wrote:
Community Marketplace
http://visforvoltage.net/forums/buy-sell-trad

G'day All

No, George, that is one of the dilution sites. THE community marketplace is at:

http://www.austinev.org/evtradinpost/

OK?

Regards

[Technik] James
Contact Steve Clunn directly.  He is at grassroots in Florida.  He might
have a home for them.  Lawrence Rhodes........
  From: FRED JEANETTE MERTENS
  >The roof does not have to be flat, and if you also use the sides, there IS
  > an output even if it is somewhat lower...

  True enough. The solar raycers use highly streamlined bodies, and cover every
available square inch with solar cells. The cells they use are slightly
flexible, and can conform to the curves so they don't add any wind resistance.

  The drawback is economic. You wind up with many of your very expensive cells
in places where they rarely deliver even half their rated output. But if cost
is no object...
  --
  Lee Hart

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Umm, David, why do you think the EV Album won't support a link to YouTube? We have several pages linked already. I am not sure what you did when you tested your link, since you changed it back again already, but see page:

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/840

for an example of working links to YouTube.

Something to keep in mind is all the data on the pages is stored in a MySQL database by custom scripts, so it has to be formatted just so to make it work. Links without the http:// beginning don't work. It has to have that for the script to recognize it as a link. This isn't plain vanilla html anymore.

I would suggest anyone wanting to post a video, post in on YouTube then I can fix the link for them if they have a problem. YouTube is setup to handle that kind of bandwidth, I would hate to overload the Austin EV server with a lot of video traffic. Besides, that gets it out there where more folks can see it.

Thanks,

Mike Chancey
Webmaster
EV Photo Album
http://evalbum.com

At 07:17 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:
What about simply adding a link from youtube or google videos? I just tested
and apparently the site does not currently support this. Maybe that is a
simple upgrade, but I doubt it.

Good idea though

On 2/20/07, Dmitri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

How about a video section?

Awesome Mike, thanks for the correction. I havent actually spent that much
time on your site lately, so I apologize for misunderstanding. I see how to
place a link, which I figured would not be that hard to do. I was trying to
actually embed the video in the page itself with the following code, which
of course is not the same thing. The video is not EV related. I was simply
trying to test with it, which is why I changed it back.

By the way, thanks a million for running that site in the first place! I do
use it now and then to provide examples for those that just don't 'get it'.

Dave O.

**************************************
<h3>Hydro Foam</h3>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-9072005015693916165&amp;hl=en";
height="350" width="425" style="width:400px; height:326px;"
id="VideoPlayback">
 <param name="movie" value="
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-9072005015693916165&amp;hl=en";
/>
 <param name="allownetworking" value="internal" />
 <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
 <param name="enableJSURL" value="false" />
 <param name="enableHREF" value="false" />
 <param name="saveEmbedTags" value="true" />
**************************************

From: Roger Stockton
>Now, now, it really isn't that bad.  Raising the pack voltage might
>require changing the battery boxes, but dropping from 108V to 96V
>doesn't.  This change requires merely moving the pack positive lead down
>by two 6V batteries; the two unused batteries don't even have to be
>removed, though removing them and replacing them with a suitable spacer
>would lighten things up.

The EVCorts use 6v Sonnenschein gel cells. These batteries are very good for
long life at low current; but expensive, and they do not hold up well at high
currents. So, I'm concerned that reducing the pack voltage to 96v or 72v and
putting in a higher-current controller would lead to higher battery currents,
which could murder them in short order.

They are also slightly odd size, and a tight fit in the battery boxes; so it
would be hard to substitute flooded or AGMs.

A new pack voltage would require a new charger, as the EVCort charger isn't
documented well enough for easy modification to some other voltage. Finding a
new charger suitable for gel cells might also be a challenge; the usual
"stupid" chargers many people use would overcharge and damage them.

Also, the car's instrumentation is all custom for a 108v system. These aren't
simple analog meters; they are built-from-scratch digital meters.

> No one says he has to discard the Soleq components; he can hang on
> to them in the hope that someone will surface to service them, or can
> try to reverse engineer them at his leisure.  If he wants to use the EV,
> however, he needs to either pay the cost to have someone fix the
> present system (if anyone will step up to the task), or to replace it
> with something else.

Yes, that's certainly the case. There is a company that says they have
schematics and will fix Soleq components. The problem is they are expensive,
and there are no guarantees (you pay them for trying, not for succeeding).

> Any sort of series controller/manual field control or contactor setup
> would seem to be an unacceptable hack.

It certainly could be done well... or badly. But the basics of a sepex
controller are pretty simple; simpler than a PWM controller.

> If the series controller option is considered most attractive by virtue
> of allowing the instrumentation and charger and DC/DC to be retained
> (though the Soleq DC/DC is integrated into the defunct controller isn't it?)
> then I would swap the sep-ex motor out for a conventional series motor

But that creates a whole lot of extra expense and machining work. Why replace a
perfectly good motor?

> rather than trying to hack something together to run the separate field
> (and to allow the series controller to work properly without the field
> inductance).

The controller is a huge box (about 30" x 15" x 10"), mounted where the car's
radiator originally was. Inside are dozens of circuit boards, and dozens of
identical modules with ~8 TO-3 power transistors and associated parts. It would
be fairly straightforward to unplug and remove some of these parts to clear out
one small corner, and mount a Curtis or other controller in it.

It already has two big series inductors for the armature; so it will work fine
with a series motor controller.

The modules removed could be traced out, and repaired if necessary.

But any way you look at it; it's a lot of work.
--
Lee Hart

Ask yourself, why are they closing out these batteries?
I have tested the "Tenergy" brand, which sources lowest-bid batteries from china. They are useless for EVs, you'll be luck to get 1C discharge rates, and charge rates are .3C. Should be OK for a flashlight.

I'm not sure why what I've posted about NiMH for EVs seems to go unheard. Just the cells is only half the solution, if you don't have the other half, there is no point. Rechargeable batteries that can't be recharged are useless.

Jack

Lee Hart wrote:

Just a gentle reminder: Don't buy batteries based on price. Buy based on *performance*.
Don't belive any of the published "sales" data until you have tested some
yourself.

For an EV-sized pack you'll need hundreds of cells. Make a test order to see
what they really cost, and test them to see what you'll really get. Then decide
which is a better deal based on your actual performance data (and price).
--
Lee Hart

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Capacity aside, the durability at high discharges has not been specified. You can test that a cell puts out acceptable voltage at a 2C discharge rate. However, this does not prove the cell will last thousands of cycles at this duty. Actually it's not rocket science to buy a few cells, design a testbench to cycle them at high currents over and over and see how much capacity they have at 2C after a few weeks of such abuse. Still, even perfect testing is suspect since the data is not guaranteed by the mfg. It would not be unheard of to order 2,000 parts and have some act like the ones you tested and some not. If the mfg specified only 10AH, as long as the cell provides 10AH then it's not their fault some don't last at 2C cycling just because the first ones you tried did.

In fact with these discount battery vendors, you could even order 1,000 and get 500 like the ones in the picture which are identical to what you originally tested along with 500 of a completely different brand and mfg but still 10AH as advertised.

Realistically, I think chances are good you could get good enough consistency. There's still an element of chance though, sort of a crap shoot.

Just a gentle reminder: Don't buy batteries based on price. Buy based on *performance*.
Don't belive any of the published "sales" data until you have tested some
yourself.

For an EV-sized pack you'll need hundreds of cells. Make a test order to see
what they really cost, and test them to see what you'll really get. Then decide
which is a better deal based on your actual performance data (and price).
--
Lee Hart

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Jim Husted <http://www.HiTorqueElectric.com> did a fantastic job "souping up" the motors for the KillaCycle. I think it will take a lot more volts and amps to zortch these, now that Jim has worked his magic on them.

They are so gorgeous, I had to post some pictures of them on the KillaCycle web site:

http://www.killacycle.com/photos/motor-details/

If you are thinking of building a high-performance EV, Jim is the man to go to for the motors.

Bill Dube'

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Out of interest, Tenergy batteries are usually rebranded Shenzhen Ryders:

http://ryde.en.alibaba.com/product/50136848/50629542/Ni_MH_Batteries/ Ni_MH_Battery.html

I tested some of their AAs once and could barely pull 2C out of them, definitely not good enough for EV use! (Even ignoring the apparently prohibitive issues with paralleling NiMHs..)

Lee Hart wrote:
Just a gentle reminder: Don't buy batteries based on price. Buy based on *performance*. Don't belive any of the published "sales" data until you have tested some yourself. For an EV-sized pack you'll need hundreds of cells. Make a test order to see what they really cost, and test them to see what you'll really get. Then decide which is a better deal based on your actual performance data (and price).
--
Lee Hart

Cor in California,

Thank you for pointing to the proper URL.  Guess my scissors cut a little
too close when cutting and pasting.

Russ in Rainy Oregon

> Russ,
>
> You meant to link to this picture:
> http://www.russcoev.com/images/oj_front_batteries.jpg
>
> Because the link in your mail did not work.
> Cor

Russco chargers may be ordered directly from the Russco factory.  For
assistance ask for Russ.  See:

http://www.russcoev.com/contact.html

>  Can you buy a Russco From Russco? Looks good to me, want to order one,
> Without the turn off option will it charge forever?   Or is this ac off?
> Wonder why no 220v ac option... Thanks Hap

Hi Andy,  my conversion is with parts from Victor at Metric Mind.  Very high
quality equipment and excellent support.  I highly recommend him.

Check out my web site for all the details, including my analysis on what
type of drive system to purchase.

Don

Don Cameron, Victoria, BC, Canada

Check out the EV FAQ:  www.evparts.com/faq