  1) RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: 25 points about - regen (and 'controlllers: the nth option')
        by thomas ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) RE: 25 points about - regen (and 'controlllers: the nth option')
        by thomas ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Toyotas Hybrid E-News: High-Performance Hybrids
        by Lightning Ryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by Don Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Arrogant Ignorance
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Toyotas Hybrid E-News: High-Performance Hybrids
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Discontinued Saft STM5-180's
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Replace Controller Caps?
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Replace Controller Caps?
> Mark Brueggemann wrote
>
> I think it's a bit hypocritical to
> evangelize a mode of transportation
> that hasn't proven itself to be practical.
> If they were, you could buy one.

Is that like saying if NiMH batteries were proven practical that we could
actually buy them?  Hmmm.

> Not to mention the *millions and millions* of spent
> batteries to be dealt with, irrespective of chemistry.  This
> all costs time, energy (real and personal) and material
> resources, however inert they may or may not be.

If it only costs time and energy it only means someone else has a job in
recycling them.  True producing a new car takes
materials.  But converting a car from an existing chassis like we're doing
keeps one carcas out of the landfill and does not cost
to remanufacture;  which I guess would detract from the job market.  Just think
if there were that 30/30/30 split (like in the
early 1900's) between gas cars, electric cars and steam cars still on the road
today.  There would be junk EV's that would also be
cheap to buy and rebuild.  This instead of buying a cheap gasser carcas and
spending a lot of money to convert it. To electric.
Think about that, having your choice of junk cars ;-)

> but BEV's couldn't make it 30 years ago,
> and they won't today.

They could have though.  What if GM saw the wisdom in buying the electric
trolley systems because they were efficient and kept
them operating. And even began researching and producing EV's?  What if right
now 99% of the vehicles on the road were electric.
How hard would it be for someone to come in and say, "hey lets burn oil in our
cars, yeah they're dirtier, but hey you can drive
them all the way out of town and live in the suburbs where the air is cleaner".

Mike
Anchorage, Ak.
MightyMax EV
barely 4K EV miles since 2006

BTW,
Did you contact Hensley? They are supposed to be the official main dealer of
Trojan in NM
http://www.trojan-battery.com/About-Us/SiteMap2.aspx
If anyone can give you a good deal on a pack, they should be able to
(usually you can get a
much better price for a pallet than for a single retail battery, I organised
a bulk buy for
myself and two other EV'ers and registered with the supplier as a dealer, so
I got the
dealer pricing) You need 24 batteries if you need to replace them all, that
is a reasonable
amount of lead.

I hear that you are aware of the impact we have on this earth, that is a
good point to start from when changing things for the better, I have used
the bicycle for as many local trips as possible and still I like to ride to
work once a week, though the distance is 10 mi each way.
Not sure how you classify "sending more than my fair share of lead to the
recycler", the recycling is included in the cost of the battery, so
recycling it should be fair. In fact, recycling EV batteries is a whole lot
better than the primary batteries that I see go to the landfill by the
millions. (Not to mention the UPS'es with the lead battery still installed,
chucked in the waste bin)
I did not say that an EV was an ideal solution, but the way you put it
sounds very negative, it surprises me because I usually hear this kind of
take on EV's only from people who are ill-informed.

To quote one example: you pay for a smoker's poor health. Does that make
smoking a good option? No, not only exactly because of the effect on health,
but also because a smoker will pay higher premiums due to the impact of his
decisions on his health. That can even go to the point that a doctor refuses
to treat him unless he quits.

Why do you say that my joy and piece of mind are intangible as if you can
dismiss it, having no value and thus it would not justify paying money for
it. Seeing a movie is intangible. Having many transceivers is intangible,
because mostly you are only chatting with someone else. How can you justify
having so much equipment in your truck? Sorry, but I think this is a
non-argument. The EV grin is for real.

I completely agree with you that urban sprawl is the cancer eating at our
society and our environment and I hope that enough people see it soon enough
to change the zoning laws that make the US such a segregated society with
living in one part of town, work in another, school in yet another and
shopping usually outside of town. Not a good planning to go everywhere
walking, biking or by public transport and meeting your neighbors is a
special event.
Very soon the planners will be forced to reconsider, so until that moment I
will continue to bite my lip and try to influence at local level (BPAC) to
keep pedestrian and bicycling facilities from falling prey to the hunger of
the automobile.

Although my driving-an-EV will not likely make an impact at national or
global level, it is a witness at my personal level and everyone around me,
my neighborhood, church, company, everyone regularly commuting through Santa
Clara - literally thousands of people are becoming aware that it is possible
to commute by EV and use a car for almost all of your driving without using
(imported) oil.
Like Lee once said, it is almost impossible to convey a personal vision to
others, but it is possible to stand up, go to the driver of the bus and say
"let me out, right here. I think the bridge is out and I don't want to find
out too late". Some others may follow you. If enough people become aware
that EVs are possible, they will be made because there is a market. Plug In
America shows that with the right efforts, a lot of awareness can be
harnessed.
Seeing GM switch to an electric drivetrain, because that is the most
flexible and efficient platform to run multiple different fuel types on
(oil, ethanol, hydrogen or straight battery electric) simply by converting
everything to electricity first, well - that gives me hope that soon EV
parts will be commonplace.

BTW, I was talking about >my< pollution. Driving an EV keeps my tailpipe
pollution away and since California has a large part of their energy
generated by renewable means and an even larger part using natural gas,
combined with me charging my car at night when there is a surplus of
electricity, I know that my driving habit has an impact that is several
times lower than when I would have an ICE vehicle for my daily driving.

Yes, I am aware of your history in EVs and the famous double-needle
state-of-charge meter
that you designed, a very innovative idea that probably only a HAM can come
up with.
I looked at the bank of transceivers in your truck with a bit of envy, as I
was a licensed
amateur before I moved to the USA (PE1LEG)

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water     IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel: +1 408 542 5225    VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax: +1 408 731 3675    eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

        From:  "Lawrence Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    To:  "Electric Vehicle
Discussion List" <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>    Subject:  Re: It's official, the
Saft STM5-180 nicad has been discontinued    Date:  Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:15:24
-0800    Plain Text Attachment [ Scan and Save to Computer | Save to Yahoo!
Briefcase ]

I guess they were a good chemistry with long life but weren't they as
expensive as NiMH & hard to find a charger for?  After all is said and   done
wasn't it about a 20 k experience to get a hundred mile range in a   small
conversion?  Lawrence Rhodes.........  ----- Original Message -----   From:
"Paul Wallace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List"
<ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>  Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:12 AM  Subject:
It's official, the Saft STM5-180 nicad has been discontinued      > I didn't
see anyone else report this.  I just got email from the   support  > person in
Valdosta with two items of interest.  The first is that Lou  > Magnarella is no
longer at Saft.  The second is that the STM5-180  > batteries have been
discontinued.  Lou had warned me that they might  > discontinue them soon.  I
guess now is soon.  >  > I've asked for the details on recycling the batteries
when I take   mine  > out of service.  >  > Paul Wallace

  I was told (by Evamerica) that the used PMC25 I bought that was built in the
early 80's, I should replace the electrolytic caps because they dry out.

   I think Lee had a procedure of putting say a 1k ohm resistor on the buss
voltage and holding 20% higher than operating for 2 hours should "reform" the
caps.  Is that true, did I get it right?

  The controller is up to 120V and I'm running at 84V so 100V should be ok.
The caps are rated to 200V.

  Best Regards,

always stay connected to friends.

From: Mark E. Hanson
> I was told (by EVAmerica) that the used PMC25 I bought that was built in
> the early 80's, I should replace the electrolytic caps because they dry out.
>
> I think Lee had a procedure of putting say a 1k ohm resistor on the buss
> voltage and holding 20% higher than operating for 2 hours should "reform"
> the caps.  Is that true, did I get it right?

When an electrolytic capacitor has sat around for a long time at low or zero
voltage, the aluminum oxide insulation between its plates degrades, getting
thinner and weaker. If you immediately apply high voltage, it will draw a high
leakage current. The capacitor can quickly overheat, and even fail (often
dramatically -- BANG)!

To ressurect it, you need to apply a lower voltage and s-l-o-w-l-y bring it
back up to full rated voltage. Because it's a capacitor, an easy way is to
connect it to a power supply through a big series resistor. The resistor should
limit the current to something under 1 milliamp per microfarad, to prevent the
capacitor from heating up.

If the capacitor is still good, you should see the voltage gradually rise over
several hours, until there is essentially zero DC current flowing into the
capacitor (less than 1 microamp per microfarad). If it's bad, the DC current
won't drop this low.

It's harder to do this if the capacitor is still wired into a circuit. You'll
have to apply the voltage gradually with a variable power source, and manually
increase it slowly back up to full rated voltage.

This isn't the only way capacitors can fail. If they have spent a lot of time
hot, or at high ripple currents, they can "dry out". The high temperatures
cause high internal pressure. The vents can leak, so they lose water. This
increases their ESR (equivalent series resistance), which makes more heat and
accellerates the process. Such capacitors have the right capacitance, but are
worthless as filters -- they allow large ripple voltages and spikes.
--
Lee Hart