  1) EV bashing,  RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Stop dissing Zivans, was RE: Battery charger recommendation
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: NiMH D size battery closeout
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Charging problems
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: EV bashing,  RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by "Dmitri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: NiMH D size battery closeout
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) speaking of Zivans, qucik question
        by brian baumel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Stop dissing Zivans, was RE: Battery charger recommendation
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: EV bashing, RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Battery amps in Uve's EV Calculator
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Arrogant Ignorance
        by "FRED JEANETTE MERTENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: EV bashing, RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by "FRED JEANETTE MERTENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Stop dissing Zivans, was RE: Battery charger recommendation
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Discovery Chanel Future Car LOOSES all Credability
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Battery load tester
        by "John O'Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by "Randy Burleson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: HD Radio anyone?
        by Jim Coate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: EV bashing, RE: T-105 Sitcker Shock
        by Lock Hughes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Battery load tester
        by "FRED JEANETTE MERTENS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: "New" motors for the KillaCycle - 2 for sale
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
           Hi Mark and All,

               While I'm sorry you are disappointed in your
EV, it's your fault for building such an ineff pig, lead
mine, not because EV's are not cost effective.
              One can build eff EV very easily as I've
described in detail many times yet no one seems to listen,
instead converting overweight ICE's into massively
overweight unaerodynamic EV's needing twice the EV drive,
battery pack costs while geting 1/2 the range, acceleration.
              For instance in your pile of EV parts there
sits a great EV waiting to get out. First lop off that
heavy, non aero cab and bed, replace them with an aero
kitcar body and your range would double, acceleration
increase probably 30% and your battery pack would last
probably twice as many miles due to their much lighter load,
abuse you put on them. Or get the same range with a much
smaller, less costly pack.
             We have known for yrs what makes a sucessful
EV, a light, aero glider built as an EV with 50% battery
weight gets you 100 mile range, lower EV drive parts,
chargers and easily will beat an ICE in cost effectiveness.
             Yet except for Lee now and I building real
EV's, all I see here are people sinking big bucks in
vehicles that are not very good.
              There is no need for better batteries, just
better gliders though I'll be happy if better ones come
along.
               You sound like a fat man complaining about it
while stuffing his face with food.
              If you all want to build such pigs, go ahead
but don't complain when the bill becomes due.
               Though if you look at it, the money spent on
even your type of EV is less than many hobbies, ect.  Just
accept that you are building a subpar EV and stop
complaining or build a good one.
               My Ewoody was very cost effective, driving it
for 10 yrs for about $1k for everything, building,
registering, tags, electricity, batts, charger, repair,
controller, ect. That's just $100/yr!! While it wasn't the
greatest, it gave me a 30 mile range up to 60 mph at a fuel
cost of $.01/mile!
                Just look at controllers, a contactor
controller puts out more power at 1/10th the cost, can be
very smooth, reliable,  easily repairable in minutes beside
the road if nessasary, yet everyone has to have e
controllers, then complain about the cost, time/cost to
repair, slow performance!!
                I expect my Freedom EV to beat the pants off
of an ICE in cost, performance getting 230mpg cost
equivilent, 150-400mpg energy equivilent depending on the
electric source, based on the Ewoody's consumption which it
should do much better than as more aero, LLR tires, ect.
               And with it's 12 T105's, I expect to get 100
mile range and with a removeable gen, unlimited range at
about 100mpg. I expect a very long life from my batts due to
not overloading them, using a good charger. And set up to
tow a trailer carrying 1500lbs so I only need one vehicle
for all my transport needs, local to cross-country ton
carrying large, heavy loads. All it takes is a little
forsight, planning, engineering to solve any EV problem.
                I'm too cheap to build an EV that costs more
than an ICE to buy, run, and refuse to do so and why I build
from scratch. It's not rocket science, just basic physics
and economics 101. I expect to be well under $.20/mile total
costs over 5 yrs.
                So instead of bashing Ev's, why don't you
bash yourself for building such a pile as it's your fault,
not anyone else's!!

                                   Jerry Dycus

From: "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:09:20 -0500

           Hi Mark and All,

               While I'm sorry you are disappointed in your
EV, it's your fault for building such an ineff pig, lead
mine, not because EV's are not cost effective.
              One can build eff EV very easily as I've
described in detail many times yet no one seems to listen,
instead converting overweight ICE's into massively
overweight unaerodynamic EV's needing twice the EV drive,
battery pack costs while geting 1/2 the range, acceleration.

Jerry,

I enjoy reading your posts, but Mark made some very valid points from real world experience which cannot be written off as just stupidity on his part.

I also don't believe your assertion that building an effecient EV is easy. I have been reading about your Freedom EV project for quite a while now, and none of it has sounded easy. If it's so easy, why was it half finished on a trailer at the BBB event? I know you would have loved to have it finished before then. How long have you been working on it (isn't it a multiyear project now), and how many hours have you and others put into it? I admire you for doing it, but to claim that it has been easy is crazy talk.

I understand you built the ewoody before that, but as I recall you are leveraging skills that you have honed over years of hard work in the boat building industry and even at that it doesn't seem easy to me.

I know you thought the ewoody was cool and claim the girls loved it, and I have never seen it in person, but from the pictures I have seen of it I'll bet more people than not would be embarrassed to drive it. I think you will find the same reaction to your Freedom EV. They are both radically different from the norm, and I think something that a lot of people will not be willing to accept.

Building any kind of EV is hard work, and building one that meets most peoples speed, range, comfort, budget and style requirements is even harder yet.

damon

Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Top school degrees online - in as fast as 1 year http://forms.nextag.com/goto.jsp?url=/serv/main/buyer/education.jsp?doSearch=n&tm=y&search=education_text_links_88_h288c&s=4079&p=5116
Hey Lee, all

--- Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jim Husted wrote:
> > I would highly recommend you do NOT run the ADC 9"
> at
> > 6600 rpms, even in short durations.
>
> What about the WarP 9" motor? Same limits, or is its
> commutator better?

Let's ask Jeff Shanab, lmao!!

Actually the difference between the Warp9 and the ADC9
is pretty small.  The Warp has the same bar count but
has a slightly longer and a tad larger diameter comm.
>From the ones I've seen they use a good comm with GE
numbers on it.  IMO I doubt there is any real plus or
minus on their RPM limit.  As you know Lee everything
has it's pro's and con's.  A larger comm allows some
good properties but probably makes it just slightly
more prone to a lower RPM limit.

>From my sources I'm told that the only commutator
plant left here in the states is Toledo Commutator.
ADC's comm's are made in France, I don't know where
GE's are made but I know they have plants in Mexico.
Regardless, the day of good old steel comm's is gone,
at least as far as these sized motors go.

Anyway I didn't want to freak anyone out about blowing
up their motors, just a little caution that they will.
 It truly breaks my heart when I hear of those that
blow up perfectly good motors.

Cya

Finding fabulous fares is fun.
bargains.

even my wife (a very non techie type  med records keeper ) caught the fact that
ALL the future cars are in PRODUCTION TODAY in low volumes but definitely not
future  rather present cars!!