  1) V28 1962 Bel Air-current draw
        by "Reinkens, Kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) EVLN(You 'can' have NZ Hybrid rubbish trucks)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: [EV] Re: Newbie melts a battery terminal
        by Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) EVLN(Peterbilt hybrid R&D: long-haul, P&D, PTO & stop-n-go trucks)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) EVLN(Saab C2H6O hybrid)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: gensets was charging while driving question
        by John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Better Data Logging Options?
        by John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) EVLN(Schwarzenegger accepted BMW H7 hybrid, range=125 h2 + 300mi gas)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) EVLN(Mazda h2 hybrid in 2008)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) EVLN(World's 1st drivable h2fc phEV)-long
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) EVLN(DOLPHIN/CURRIE E-BIKE AGREEMENT)-long
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) EVLN(Made in China Tianjin Qingyuan nEVs buzz about Malibu)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) EVLN(SF Bay Area groups promote phEVs)-Long
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Hello there:

I'm wondering about the V28 batteries from Milwaukee used in this car. I'm new
and fairly ignorant (I'm hoping to fix some of that!). Could someone check my
calculations of the current from these batteries.

384 batteries @ 336 volts. I think that means 32 strings of 12 V28s. The
article says 3000 amps. So it sounds like that is about 93 amps per string. I
assume this is a peak during the drag activities. Is this right?

Follow-up question: What was the current draw during 35-40mph speeds for this
car? and what did the range end of being at city speeds? Could anyone enlighten
me.

I'm thinking of a BugEV or MC conversion.

Thanks, Kirk

Spokane, WA

------_=_NextPart_001_01C76E33.059BB67E"
Subject: V28 1962 Bel Air-current draw
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:39:41 -0700
From: "Reinkens, Kirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Cc: "Reinkens, Kirk--
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:44:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(You 'can' have NZ Hybrid rubbish trucks)
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(You 'can' have NZ Hybrid rubbish trucks)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.dailypost.co.nz/localnews/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3726680

[image
 http://www.dailypost.co.nz/pics/web_hybrid.jpg
Castlecorp business manager Mijo Katavic with the two hybrid
cars. (160307bf1)]

Council buys World's Greenest Cars  By ABIGAIL CASPARI
20.03.2007

It's not easy being green, but the Rotorua District Council is
giving it a go.

It has two new additions to its car fleet - two 2007 Civic
Hybrids.

The Honda vehicles last year won the World's Greenest Car of the
Year award.

The purchase follows a proposal put to the council by Castlecorp
business manager Mijo Katavic , looking at ways to make the
council's vehicle fleet "greener".

The proposal aims to save on fuel and take a leadership role in
reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

Mr Katavic, who drives one of the new cars, said it was very
economical, using just 5.8 litres of petrol per 100km.

With the more conventional car "you're lucky to get 10 litres per
100km".

He admits driving the Hybrid is different to his previous 4X4
diesel-fuelled vehicle.

"It's taken a little bit of getting used to. It's weird, when you
stop at a give way sign or traffic lights the engine cuts out.
When you take your foot off the brake it starts up again."

The council bought the cars from Honda Cars Rotorua with a price
tag of $35,300 each - about $5000 more than a similar make and
model which is solely petrol operated.

It was too early to say whether the council would be buying any
more Hybrids to replace some of the other vehicles in its fleet
of 173.

In some cases a Hybrid vehicle was not applicable: "You can't
have a Hybrid rubbish truck."

[...]
As well as being the world's greenest car, the Honda hybrid has
also won safety awards.

Steve Freeman, from Honda Cars Rotorua, said the hybrid was also
the most economical car in New Zealand in the 2006 AA EnergyWise
Rally, scooping the top prize. The car offered safety, less
impact on the environment and economy, he said.

"It speaks for itself if you look at all the awards," Mr Freeman
said.

© APN News & Media Ltd 2006.

===

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/354/C10530/
[...]
Oshkosh installed the ProPulse hybrid technology in a garbage
truck
[...]

===

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2006/11/15/garbage-trucks-get-hybrid-power/

===

http://www.tc.gc.ca/tdc/projects/road/i/5598.htm

-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 12:16:04 -0400
From: Eduardo Kaftanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: [EV] Re: Newbie melts a battery terminal

>    You probsably had a loose connection? It got hot, TOO hot and Phzzzzzt!
> Meltdown!

Would a fan blowing across the posts (in an enclosed box) help in this case?
Or is the amount of heat too much to aircool?

--
Eduardo K.            |
http://www.carfun.cl  | Freedom's just another word

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:45:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(Peterbilt hybrid R&D: long-haul, P&D, PTO & stop-n-go trucks)
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(Peterbilt hybrid R&D: long-haul, P&D, PTO & stop-n-go trucks)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.trucknews.com/issues/ISArticle.asp?id=66848&issue=03222007
MATS Report: Peterbilt developing medium- and heavy-duty hybrids
By James Menzies   Truck News,  3/22/2007

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Peterbilt revealed at the Mid-America Trucking
Show that it is developing a full range of hybrid trucks,
including a heavy-duty long-haul model.

Peterbilt's hybrid initiatives include development of both
medium- and heavy-duty vehicle platforms and for both on-highway
and vocational applications,” said Bill Jackson, general
manager of Peterbilt and vice-president of PACCAR. “We will
introduce hybrid vehicle solutions to serve a broad range of
business requirements, helping customers reduce operating
expenses and fostering greater environmental stewardship.”

Peterbilt is currently pursuing hybrids for: heavy-duty
long-haul; medium-duty P&D; stationary PTO; and vocational
stop-and-go applications.

We are leading the industry by proactively researching and
testing hybrid technologies, forging strategic partnerships with
key suppliers and customers, and integrating hybrid solutions
into our already fuel-efficient vehicle designs,” said Landon
Sproull, chief engineer with Peterbilt.

Hybrids can reduce fuel use by about 30% in medium-duty,
stop-and-go applications and by 4-7% in heavy-duty on-highway
applications, Peterbilt officials said.

Peterbilt’s latest hybrid initiative is a Class 8 Model 386
configured for long-haul over-the-road applications. It uses a
parallel direct electric hybrid system developed in conjunction
with Eaton and Wal-Mart. The prototype is currently in the
testing stages and Peterbilt plans to roll it out to the industry
in 2010.

The heavy-duty hybrid features an automated manual transmission
and has an electric motor/generator that captures energy during
braking and stores it, using it to help power the vehicle.

On the medium-duty side, Pete is working on hybrid 330 and 335
model trucks. These are coupled with the PACCAR PX-6 engine.
Current configurations are aimed at stop-and-go applications and
have proven to reduce fuel use by 30-40%. The Model 335 is
equipped with a power take-off that can be electrically powered.
A crane apparatus can run for up to 28 minutes on battery power.
When the battery is drained, the engine can be started to
recharge the battery in just 4.5 minutes, the company said.

Sproull pointed out maintenance requirements are reduced in
hybrid operations as there is less wear and tear on the engine
and brakes. The medium-duty hybrids are in limited production
with full production slated for next year.

Copyright © 2007 Business Information Group.

===

http://www.todaystrucking.com/news.cfm?intDocID=17647
MATS REPORT: Peterbilt new '08 lineup in production; more hybrids
on the way 03/22/2007

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Peterbilt says its manufacturing plants are in
full production with the company's new product lineup of 2008
models, which represent the largest product development
investment in the nearly 70-year history of the company.  The new
trucks include:

The aerodynamically styled Model 384 and Model 387 day cab, which
join the Model 387 and Model 386 to complete the company's aero
truck lineup; The traditionally styled Model 389 and Model 388;
The vocational Model 367, Model 365 and Model 340;a nd The
cabover Model 220 and conventional Model 330, which join the
Model 335 to complete the company's medium duty truck lineup.

All of the new models are available for order and all are in
production except the Model 384 and Model 387 day cab, which will
be manufactured beginning in the second quarter.

Meanwhile, as has been reported by TodaysTrucking.com recently,
Peterbilt also confirmed it's developing full range of hybrid
products that increase fuel efficiency, reduce emissions and
improve service requirements, the company announced yesterday at
the 2007 Mid-America Trucking Show.

"Peterbilt is actively developing and testing four distinct
hybrid technology vehicle applications," says Peterbilt chief
engineer Landon Sproull. The four vehicle platforms include: A
hybrid electric heavy duty vehicle for long-haul applications; a
hybrid electric medium duty vehicle for pick-up and delivery
applications; a hybrid electric medium duty vehicle equipped for
stationary PTO applications; and a hydraulic hybrid heavy duty
vehicle for vocational and stop-and-go applications.

Heavy Duty Longhaul:

[image

http://www.todaystrucking.com/images/usr_220307103935_2007models.jpg
]

The heavy-duty hybrid electric Model 386, configured for
on-highway use, is being developed in conjunction with Eaton and
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. It is currently in the testing and
evaluation phase and is expected to be available in 2010.

The system features an automated manual transmission with a
parallel-type "direct" hybrid system, incorporating an electric
motor/generator located between the output of an automated clutch
and the input to Eaton's Fuller UltraShift transmission. The
system captures energy generated by the diesel engine and
recovers energy normally lost during braking and stores the
energy in batteries. That electric torque is then sent through
the motor/generator and blended with engine torque to improve
vehicle performance, operate the engine in a more fuel-efficient
range for a given speed and/or operate only with electric power
in certain situations.

Medium Duty Hybrid Electric:

Peterbilt and Eaton has engineered a hybrid electric system, for
its Class 6 Model 330, configured for local pick-up and delivery
applications, and its Class 7 Model 335 equipped with a fully
integrated Terex bucket lift body.

The Model 330 is powered by the PACCAR PX-6 engine rated at 240
horsepower and 560 ft-lbs of torque. With the hybrid system
engaged, horsepower increases to 300 and torque to 860 ft-lbs.
This configuration is ideal for stop-and-go use, such as P&D
work, with the hybrid system resulting in 30 to 40 percent
greater fuel savings by using electric power to accelerate the
vehicle from a stop, according to Peterbilt

The Model 335 is also powered by the PACCAR PX-6 engine which
regenerates lithium-ion batteries to electrically operate the
PTO. This application of hybrid technology is well suited for
municipal and utility applications.

Both medium duty hybrid trucks are in limited production this
year with full production expected for 2008.

Heavy Duty Vocational Hybrid Hydraulic Vehicle:

finally, the hybrid Hydraulic Launch Assist (HLA) technology is
currently being evaluated for vocational and stop-and-go
applications, such as refuse collection.

The system, currently integrated with Peterbilt's low-cab-
forward Model 320, increases brake life and reduces engine and
transmission wear, potentially extending component life and
lowering service costs. HLA works by recovering a portion of the
energy normally lost as heat by the vehicle's brakes, in the form
of pressurized hydraulic fluid. This fluid is stored in on-board
accumulators until the driver next accelerates the vehicle.

Fuel savings occur when the stored energy is then used to launch
the vehicle during the initial, high fuel consumption start from
stop, followed seamlessly by power from the primary engine. In
performance mode, the stored energy is released and blended with
engine power at launch. This can significantly improve
acceleration due to the high power density of hydraulics.

Copyright © 2006 Newcom Business Media Inc.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:45:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(Saab C2H6O hybrid)
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(Saab C2H6O hybrid)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.engineerlive.com/european-design-engineer/17360/automotive-use-of-bioethanol.thtml
Automotive use of bioethanol
In February of this year the European Commission proposed to
force automotive manufacturers to cut carbon dioxide (CO2)
emissions from cars by 18percent, with new cars expected to meet
this target by 2012. I
[...]
More power, less CO2

Saab has already developed engines that can run on 100percent
pure bioethanol (E100), eliminating fossil fuel emissions
altogether, as seen in its AeroX and Saab Biopower Hybrid
concept cars. Shown in 2006 at the Stockholm, London and Paris
motor shows, the Saab Biopower Hybrid Concept demonstrates how
pure bioethanol and electric power can be combined to yield
fuel and energy savings, as well as greater performance.
[...]
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:49:58 -0700
From: John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: gensets was charging while driving question

Since I started this genset business....

Ok heres a quick sketch of my plan:

1) goal- lightweight or ultralightweight green two-seater; prefer sexy
technology ( i.e. stuff that might actually be used by an OEM) as it
will be displayed at Earth days and such.

2) Implementation: modular parts, stay with off-the-shelf wherever
possible, avoid fabrication.

3) Inspiration:  the Rocky Mountain Institute's Ultra Car vision.

Possible platform weights without driveline are:
1200 lbs
800 lbs
600 lbs

4) Greenness: assuming average smog and particulates ( i.e. no worse
than my car) greenhouse gases are the most important target for reduction.
Here in CA, we don't have much coal ( any?) fired grid power, and
something like 20% renewable, so grid power is cleaner in smog terms for
us than many places.

What are the pounds-per-mile of greenhouse gases for an EV or a gas car
? I don't know, though its not hard to do the calculation, maybe I better!

here's how the clean genset idea fits in with EV:
If the Lithium battery pack is going to cost in the thousands to get
sufficient AH, and still require expensive and complex battery
management, what are my choices? Well I can go to lead, and claim I'll
switch to lighter batts when the cost comes down, but I can't retain the
lightweight standard with a lead-based EV. I could have a small lead or
lithium or NIMH pack with a genset, or, go back to H2/NG/propane, or
just build a super-efficient gas or diesel powered car.

So what about the genset?
Theres a huge store of air and water cooled motorcycle engines in all
configurations. There are giant model airplane engines, though they tend
to very high rpms and not so much torque, there are even tiny gas
turbines, though they are very expensive and short-lived. there are
industrial engines of all types, they tend toward extreme weight, the
marine world has a lot of interesting gensets, and sailboats do care
about weight.
But I only need say 5kw to 15kw, so a single-cylinder air cooled motor
sounds about right.

You can get a 5kw propane fired genset for about $1000, and it looks
like that might be easily converted to H2 later, when the storage and
supply gets cheaper/available. An H2 genset would be perfect, assuming
that its not feasible to go all the way to an H2 ICE.

I could buy a cheap gas genset and modify the motor, eventually
replacing it. I am pretty confident that I can get the emissions within
bounds because its a small displacement motor running at a constant
speed. I might have to put a decent carb on it, but thats easy.

I could build a genset from scratch - violates my rules.

I could find the Perfect Thing ready-made. I did find a 6.9 litre V8  H2
genset, but thats a bit big for me ;>) It would look good in a T-bucket
roadster though.

########

Frank: theres quite a supply of late model MC in junkyards and auctions,
because the insurers raised the rates to the point where they just write
them off when they crash. Mostly the motors are too big though, so I am
more likely to get a dirt bike motor. It does require an e-start, which
might force me to scooters instead. My DRZ dirt bike is e-start, but
e-start is still not common.

whew... thats a lotta blah blah blah

cheers

John

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:58:19 -0700
From: John Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Better Data Logging Options?

hey thats pretty interesting, thanks!

Also the robotics world is full of this sort of thing. maybe Lego
Mindstorms could make a sensor kit... J/K

JF

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:02:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(Schwarzenegger accepted BMW H7 hybrid, range=125 h2 + 300mi gas)
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(Schwarzenegger accepted BMW H7 hybrid, range=125 h2 + 300mi
gas)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.eupolitix.com/EN/News/200703/0659eb38-07dc-41d7-8362-e4892218bbd0.htm
BMW in EU hybrid car deal  by Filipe Rufino and Brian Johnson

Luxury German carmaker BMW has said it is in talks with the
European commission to provide hydrogen-powered official cars to
the institution’s top decision-makers.
[...]
The move is part of a broader campaign to lease 100 specially
made zero-emission BMWs to the world's top decision-makers,
according to BMW's Belux spokesman Cristophe Weerts.

Arnold Schwarzenegger, governor of California, has already
accepted the car”, he said.

The luxurious H7 car, on show at the European business summit
last week, is a hybrid running on liquid hydrogen and
conventional petrol.

It can cover up to 200 kms while running on hydrogen, with each
tankfull costing on average €68.

Brussels' official vehicles came under the spotlight earlier this
year when a divided commission locked horns with carmakers over
controversail plans to impose Co2 emission cuts on
manufacturers.

Environmentalists argued that EU commissioners were setting a
poor example by discussing CO2 cuts while driving around Brussels
in heavy emitting cars.

Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso has a gas-guzzling
Volkswagen Touareg 4x4, while Peter Mandelson has a high-powered
Jaguar and Verheugen has a top-end BMW.

Dimas, who inherited a Mercedes from his predecessor, raised a
few eyebrows in Brussels when he allegedly asked for a
replacement Toyota Prius, breaking the tradition of EU
commissioners using European cars for their official business.

Commission officials said they could neither confirm nor deny
BMW's offer, but theParliament.com witnessed a smiling Verheugen
trying out the H7 last week at the European Business Summit.

©2007 theparliament.com  Published: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:43 GMT+01

===

http://www.hybrid-car.co.uk/category/bmw/
[...]
BMW Hydrogen 7 starts production

BMW has started production on BMW Hydrogen 7. Based on the
current 7 Series, the Hydrogen 7 certainly sets the benchmark for
car manufacturers everywhere.

[BMW Hydrogen 7
 http://www.hybrid-car.co.uk/images/bmw/hydrogen-7.jpg
]

Billed as “the world’s first hydrogen-powered, emission-free,
luxury car”, the Hydrogen 7 (or unofficially the H7 from now on
in - no relation to the H1, H2 or H3 thankfully!) can run on
petrol or liquid hydrogen at the press of a steering wheel-
mounted button. More than a concept

This is not a concept car, but actually a car you can expect to
see in the streets (though not in numbers for some time yet)
BMW

The dual powered engine doesn’t lose torque in Hydrogen mode.

This really is a step in the right direction of getting everyone
into Hydrogen powered vehicles which as we all know give out no
emissions (expect water).
The bad news

With all this good news there has to be a down side and of
course there is (and not a little thing either) - Only 100 BMW
H7s will be built in 2007. So, don’t expect global warning to
stop just yet.
At a glance

0 to 62mph: 9.5 seconds
Top Speed: 143mph (electronically limited)
Range: 425 Miles (125miles in Hydrogen mode + 300 miles in
conventional petrol)

[Hydrogen 7 Promo video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcsRk_gtO2U&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehybrid%2Dcar%2Eco%2Euk%2Fcategory%2Fbmw%2F
]

The New BMW Hydrogen 7 will be available to drool over at
the Los Angeles Motor Show on the 28th of November
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Be a PS3 game guru.
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:10:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(Mazda h2 hybrid in 2008)
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(Mazda h2 hybrid in 2008)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=120077
Mazda Set To Launch Hydrogen-Electric Hybrid in 2008
Date posted: 03-21-2007

HIROSHIMA, Japan — Mazda has ambitious plans to introduce a
hybrid-electric vehicle in 2008 that can run on hydrogen,
according to a report by Japan's Nikkei financial news service.

A formal announcement on the vehicle is set for Thursday. It's
part of a larger unveiling of a business plan by the automaker
that calls for increasing domestic production by 15 percent next
year compared with 2006 levels.

The future Mazda hybrid will team the company's rotary engine
with an electric motor. The company has been experimenting with
hydrogen versions of the engine for the past few years and has a
small fleet of prototype models on the roads for real-world
tests. In the race for green technologies, Mazda is also
preparing a diesel engine for its new Demio subcompact. The
engine is bound for Europe.

What this means to you: A Mazda hydrogen-electric hybrid is
getting closer to reality.

© 1995-2007 Edmunds Inc.

===

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/33244.html
Mazda develops hybrid with electric motor, hydrogen-powered
 engine  By ASSOCIATED PRESS  October 4, 2005

YOKOHAMA, Japan (AP) - Mazda Motor Corp. has developed a new
type of hybrid car that runs by switching between an electric
motor and a hydrogen-powered engine, and then automatically
shifts to gasoline when it runs out of hydrogen.

The experimental "concept car" Premacy Hydrogen RE Hybrid
currently can travel only about 100 kilometers (62 miles) on
hydrogen. That can be a problem because hydrogen fueling
stations are still rare.

It was shown to reporters on Tuesday at a research center in
Yokohama, west of Tokyo, ahead of the Tokyo auto show opening
this month. There are no current plans for commercial sales.

Hybrids, which use an electric motor and an engine, are more
ecological and efficient than standard gasoline engines. The
electric motor is used during slow speeds, and the engine
kicks in when the car accelerates. The battery is recharged
when the car brakes or goes down hill.

Hydrogen-powered vehicles are among various "green"
technologies being developed by automakers.

The hybrids common on roads today, such as the Prius from
Toyota Motor Corp., have a motor and gasoline engine, and
don't run on hydrogen.

Hiroshima-based Mazda uses a rotary engine, a kind of engine
that doesn't have pistons, for its hydrogen-powered car. It
plans to start leasing an RX-8 sports car with a hydrogen-
powered rotary engine next year.

The price of the vehicle is still undecided but will be less
than a million yen (US$8,760; ?7,350) a month, Mazda said. The
vehicle, which is not a hybrid, runs on gasoline when the
hydrogen is used up.

©2007, Santa Fe New Mexican, all rights reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

The fish are biting.
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:10:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(World's 1st drivable h2fc phEV)-long
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(World's 1st drivable h2fc phEV)-long
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://news.hspn.com/articles/1282/1/Worlds-First-Drivable-Fuel-Cell-Hybrid-Electric-Vehicle-with-Plug-in-Cabability/Page1.html
World's First Drivable Fuel Cell Hybrid Electric Vehicle with
Plug-in Cabability By HSPN News covering Ford    03/20/2007

Kansas City, March 20, 2007 - Ford Motor Company today will
showcase the world’s first drivable fuel cell hybrid electric
plug-in vehicle at the Kansas City Assembly Plant during a visit
by U.S. President George W. Bush.

The vehicle combines an onboard hydrogen fuel cell generator with
lithium-ion batteries to deliver more than 41 mpg with zero
emissions. It is built on a flexible powertrain architecture that
will enable Ford to use new fuel and propulsion technologies as
they develop without redesigning the vehicle.

The new HySeries Drive™ powertrain featured in a Ford Edge uses a
real-world version of the powerplant envisioned in the Ford
Airstream concept unveiled in January at the 2007 North American
International Auto Show in Detroit.

The HySeries Drive powertrain delivers a combined city/highway
gasoline equivalent fuel economy rating of 41 mpg. For those who
drive less than 50 miles each day, the average jumps to more than
80 mpg.

The plug-in hybrid is powered by a 336-volt lithium-ion battery
pack at all times. The vehicle drives the first 25 miles each day
on stored electricity alone, after which the fuel cell begins
operating to keep the battery pack charged. This provides another
200 miles of range for a total of 225 miles with zero emissions.
Individual experiences will vary widely and can stretch out the
time between fill-ups to more than 400 miles: drivers with modest
daily needs would need to refuel only rarely, drivers who travel
less than 50 miles each day will see fuel economy well over 80
mpg, while those with long daily commutes will see somewhat lower
numbers as the fuel cell must run a larger fraction of the time.

The Ford Edge with HySeries Drive can travel at speeds of up to
85 mph. An on-board charger (110/220 VAC) can refresh the battery
pack when a standard home outlet is available, making the concept
a true plug-in hybrid.

When the battery pack is depleted to approximately 40 percent,
the hydrogen fuel cell – supplied by Ford partner Ballard –
automatically turns on and begins generating electricity to
recharge the batteries. Like a conventional automobile, the Ford
Edge with HySeries Drive will go until it runs out of fuel – in
this case via a 350-bar hydrogen tank that supplies 4.5 kg of
useable hydrogen.

The HySeries Drive name is derived from the powertrain’s
structure: a hydrogen fuel-cell-powered series hybrid drivetrain.
This highly innovative approach reduces the size, weight, cost
and complexity of a conventional fuel cell system by more than 50
percent. It also promises to more than double the lifetime of the
fuel cell stack.

[image

http://news.hspn.com/content_images/2007/march/4/Ford_HySeries1.jpg
]

This flexible powertrain architecture enables the use of new fuel
and propulsion technologies as they develop and become available
without the need to redesign the vehicle and its control
systems.

Certainly, many significant technical hurdles need to be overcome
before a vehicle such as the Edge with HySeries Drive can become
a reality. Fuel cell vehicles remain expensive, costing millions
of dollars each. And the single biggest hurdle to plug-ins
remains the cost of lithium-ion batteries. Much work also needs
to be done to make fuel cells more durable and to create a
hydrogen infrastructure.

Hydrogen Part of a Broader Effort At Ford

Research into hydrogen, including the Ford Edge with HySeries
Drive, is part of Ford’s overall effort to address the challenges
of climate change and energy independence. Ford is moving ahead
with a range of technology solutions simultaneously, including
vehicles such as the Ford Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner
Hybrid, hydrogen fuel cells, hydrogen internal combustion
engines, ethanol, clean diesel and refinements to gasoline fueled
engines and advanced transmissions. Some of the technology, such
as that seen in Ford’s lineup of hybrid vehicles, represents
near-term approaches. Other technology, including hydrogen fell
cells, must be viewed as a long-term option.

[image

http://news.hspn.com/content_images/2007/march/4/Ford_HySeries2.jpg
]

Ford began working on hydrogen technology in the early 1990s.
Ford’s first hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, released in 2001, was
based on a lightweight aluminum sedan body, which also was used
in the development of the company’s first hydrogen-powered
internal combustion engine.

The company currently has a fleet of 30 hydrogen-powered Focus
fuel cell vehicles on the road as part of a worldwide, seven-city
program to conduct real-world testing of fuel cell technology.
The fleet has accumulated more than 300,000 miles since its
inception. With this fleet on the road, a great deal of
information that can be integrated into future fuel cell vehicle
propulsion systems is being generated in different local
environmental conditions.

Having the fleet outside the confines of Ford Motor Company also
has allowed the team to gain valuable feedback on servicing
vehicles in the field. As a hydrogen infrastructure is developed
and implemented for the fleet at each location, lessons learned
are being generated to ensure that the customer and hydrogen
fueling interface is seamless and customer friendly.

Copyright © 1999-2007 HSPN Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(DOLPHIN/CURRIE E-BIKE AGREEMENT)-long
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(DOLPHIN/CURRIE E-BIKE AGREEMENT)-long
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.earthtoys.com/news.php?section=view&id=2240
DOLPHIN E-BIKES ANNOUNCES AGREEMENT WITH CURRIE TECHNOLOGIES
Visit http://www.izipusa.com for further information.

Currie to build advanced light electric bicycles using Dolphin’s
patented hybrid drive technology and will display the drive
system platform at Taipei Cycle Show

(Taipei, Taiwan, March 20, 2007) – Dolphin E-Bikes GmbH
(Dolphin), a pioneering electric drive technology development
company, announced today it has entered into a close cooperation
with Currie Technologies, Inc. (Currie), a premier developer,
manufacturer and distributor of high-performance hybrid-and
electric-powered vehicles and personal transportation products.

Under the agreement, Currie will expand its IZIP™ product line to
include hybrid electric bicycles combining the patented Syntelli
Drive™ drive systems with Currie Electro-Drive™ technologies,
designs and manufacturing expertise. As a result, unique electric
bicycles with extremely high power, range and speed – all come
together for the first time - to deliver the rider uniquely
impressive performance. The IZIP Express™ model will outdistance,
outrun and out perform virtually any other hybrid electric bikes
on the market making them a practical alternative to gas-powered
vehicles for many people.

Currie will manufacturer a complete line of e-bikes utilizing
Dolphin’s Hybrid Drive technology creating a new class of
electric bicycle models which are truly engineering innovations.
The bikes feature a unique differential planetary hub system
which is propelled independently yet simultaneously by two drive
systems - electrical and human powered. Because of the
differential, neither system bogs down nor negatively impacts the
other. Both operate at high efficiencies and optimum performance.
A power sensor detects pedaling motion and crankshaft speed via a
microprocessor and sends a corresponding signal to the electrical
motor to supplement human power on the other drive system. While
not a true torque sensor in the original sense of the word, the
effect is just that thanks to the dynamics involved in the
differential system and thus extra pedaling effort is rewarded by
the creation of a variable amount of electric push - rider
selectable - to overall propulsion.

This is a flexible system, and the top of the line Express model
has three modes, the top one being a “turbo mode” which combined
with pedaling can achieve speeds beyond 40 km/h (25 mph). It also
works on hills making what was before impossible or arduous a
pleasure. Riders are amazed at the climbing pace and ease at
which you outdistance others and arrive un-winded at the top of
hills.

The basic technology is mature and has been proven in Western
Europe for many years. The technology has won a number of awards
in toe-to-toe competition in various races worldwide. “Currie’s
history of innovation in the design and manufacture of electric
vehicles makes them a perfect partner for Dolphin,” said Michael
Kutter, Dolphin’s founder. “This agreement moves us closer to our
goal of providing affordable, advanced technology that will get
more people on E-Bikes then ever before.”

Currie is working closely with Dolphin to design a significantly
expanded line of models using the Dolphin Hybrid Drive, creating
new market opportunities for its customers. “We’re excited about
making Dolphin Hybrid Drive technology a part of our IZIP
electric bicycle product line,” said Dr. Malcolm R. Currie,
founder of Currie Technologies, Inc. “These vehicles offer riders
superior choices, and represent an outstanding marketing
opportunity for specialty retailers.”

Currie’s IZIP hybrid bikes featuring Dolphin Hybrid Drive will be
available for sale in Q4 2007. The companies will display concept
models for the first time at the upcoming Taipei International
Cycle Show later this month. Eurobike and Interbike is the
scheduled launch of the full line of Dolphin Hybrid Drive models
by Currie Technologies. “We encourage you to visit us at Taipei
Show and come in on the ground floor now and participate in the
line development for your own market needs and requirements” said
Larry Pizzi, Currie’s President and CEO. “Please visit with us at
Taipei at our Ace booth number B0518 on March 24-27, 2007.”

About Currie Technologies, Inc.
Currie Technologies, Inc. is a developer, manufacturer and
distributor of quality, high-performance hybrid and electric
powered vehicles and personal transportation products. Currie
Technologies was founded in 1998 by Dr. Malcolm R. Currie, the
former chairman and CEO of Hughes Aircraft and Delco Electronics,
on the conviction that electrically driven vehicles will become
increasingly important for fundamental environmental and economic
reasons, and that new and large international markets will
emerge. Currie Technologies hold various technology patents on
the Electro-Drive™ Propulsion Systems, unique electric drive
systems that provides superior performance and durability at a
reasonable price. To learn more about Currie Technologies and its
IZIP product line, please visit www.currietech.com or
www.izipusa.com.

About Dolphin E-Bike.
Dolphin E-Bike GmbH is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland. The
company has developed Dolphin Hybrid Drive technology, an
electric drive system for a bicycle with electric assist motor
and continuously variable transmission based on a patented
technology platform. Dolphin was founded by Michael Kutter who is
specialized in the development of efficient hybrid vehicles and
drive systems. To learn more about Dolphin, please visit
www.velocity.ch.

© Earthtoys Inc. 2002 - 2007
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere
: MEPIS Linux & WiFi powered :

Bored stiff? Loosen up...
http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:11:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(Made in China Tianjin Qingyuan nEVs buzz about Malibu)
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(Made in China Tianjin Qingyuan nEVs buzz about Malibu)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_032207_env_electric_car.85833c5.html
All-electric car to hit local roads soon By VINCE PATTON
for kgw.com  Thursday, March 22, 2007

The buzz about to hit the streets is about all you'll hear from a
new car made in China.

It's silent.

It emits no pollution.

And it uses no gas.

[image - miles automotive - This all-electric car is headed for
 roads in the northwest soon.]

The world's newest all electric car will soon be available at
only one showroom in the Northwest.

But it will not carry a familiar brand name.

Ron Tonkin dealerships in Portland has taken delivery of five
Miles ZX40s all electric vehicles. 500 Miles cars have been
delivered to the United States.

Tonkin gave KGW-TV a sneak peak and a test drive.

The zippy 4-seat version sprints from a dead stop. The electric
motor may have only 5.6 horsepower but the 49 foot pounds of
torque provide its pep.

However it has limits.

The car does a top speed of 25 miles per hour. It needs
re-charging after 70 miles of driving.

It's not legal on freeways. They are legal on Oregon roads rated
up to 35 m.p.h.

Jon Geffen, the General Manager of Tonkin alternative fuel
vehicles says, "the market is hungry for smaller cars that use
little or no fossil fuel."

He blanches at a comparison between the Miles and a golf cart.

"No, this is a car," says Geffen. "What you have is a car with
safety features in it."

The Miles relies on a chassis from the Daihatsu Move and has
passed European crash tests and meets U.S. federal safety
standards.

The Miles is manufactured by China's Tianjin Qingyuan Electric
Vehicle company, relies on a chasis from Diahatsu, and is
distributed in the U.S. by Miles Automotive of Malibu,
California.

It has passed European crash tests and meets U.S. federal safety
standards.

The Miles ZX40s includes standard features like an AM/FM radio
with CD, a heater, and retractable three-point seat belts in two
and four-door versions.

It does not include power-consuming items like air conditioning
or powered windows or power steering.

With its limited range and speed Geffen believes the car is ideal
for large business or university campuses, hospitals, prisons or
short city commutes on surface streets.

Miles Automotive says it has a larger sedan currently undergoing
safety testing. It should run up to 80 miles per hour and go 250
miles between charges. To refuel the Miles requires only a
standard 110-volt outlet to recharge its six batteries.

As a fossil fuel free car, the Miles not only uses no gas, it
produces no pollution. "It's a great thing for the environment,"
says Geffen.

The ZX40s lists at $16,500 for the two-seater and $16,950 for the
four-seater.

Tonkin has not yet set a date to begin selling the Miles but
expects brisk demand when it does.

MORE: See the all-electric car [ http://milesautomotive.com ]
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 10:12:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EVLN(SF Bay Area groups promote phEVs)-Long
To: evlist <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>

EVLN(SF Bay Area groups promote phEVs)-Long
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/2007/03/19/daily65.html?surround=lfn
Bay Area groups promote plug-in hybrids
Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal - 11:51 AM PDT
Thursday, March 22, 2007

Plug-in Bay Area [ http://pluginbayarea.org ] and the Silicon
Valley Leadership Group [ http://svmg.org ] said Thursday they've
formed a partnership with the aim of encouraging businesses and
municipalities to invest in plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.

Plug-In Bay Area is part of a national grassroots effort intended
to show automakers the burgeoning demand for plug-in vehicles via
"soft orders," which are declarations of intent to purchase
plug-ins once they are commercially available. Plug-in hybrids,
which are capable of more than 100 miles per gallon, add battery
power and a plug to a conventional hybrid while retaining a
flexible fuel gas tank.

"Plug-in hybrids use a viable, existing technology that can help
us dramatically improve our air quality and reduce costly fuel
consumption," said Palo Alto Mayor Yoriko Kishimoto. "I am
excited about the future of this technology for the City of Palo
Alto to evaluate, especially since we have our own electric
utility to plug into."

Tom Hayse, president and CEO of Newark-based ETM-Electromatic
Inc.[ http://etm-inc.com ], said he will place a soft order for
his company and will also offer incentives to employees who wish
to order plug-ins for themselves.

Regional Plug-In Bay Area organizers include Rainforest Action
Network, Bluewater Network, PG&E, CalCars, San Francisco Electric
Vehicle Association, and Plug-In America.

© American City Business Journals Inc. All rights reserved.

===

http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/article/2007-3-23-03-23-07-pa-plugin
Mayor kick off hybrid drive By Kristina Peterson
/ Daily News Staff Writer  Friday Mar 23

[Victor Maccharoli / Daily News

http://www.paloaltodailynews.com/pics/padn/400xN/padn/2007-3-23-03-23-07-pa-plugin
CalCars founder Felix Kramer shows Palo Alto Mayor Yoriko
Kishimoto how new plug-in hybrid electric vehicles work in front
of City Hall Thursday morning during a news conference. The mayor
announced that she had personally ordered one and that city staff
will look into research ordering a fleet for the city.]

Kishimoto orders personal plug-in vehicle, city may order fleet

Imagine a golf cart that could drive from Palo Alto to Sacramento.

That's how Tom Hayse, CEO of ETM Electromatic, described plug-in
hybrid electric cars on Thursday morning in front of Palo Alto's
City Hall. The event marked the launch of a new partnership
between the Silicon Valley Leadership Group and Plug-in Bay Area,
a grass-roots movement designed to generate demand for the
environmentally friendly vehicles that have not yet been
mass-produced.

Palo Alto Mayor Yoriko Kishimoto made a personal soft order for a
plug-in hybrid for her own family and said city staff would
research ordering a fleet of the eco-friendly cars for the city.

"I will encourage staff to look into this," Kishimoto said as
employees from the city's utilities department peered into the
battery pack of a plug-in hybrid on display.

Unlike standard hybrid electric vehicles, plug-in cars have a
larger battery pack, plug in overnight to charge and have gas
mileage of more than 100 miles per gallon.

The vehicles "improve air quality and reduce oil consumption,"
said Kishimoto. She noted that plug-ins charge at night "when
more electricity is available" and run "completely green" during
the day.

Felix Kramer, founder of Cal Cars, which has converted five
hybrids into plug-in vehicles, said he once drove 1,034 miles on
less than 10 gallons of gas.

"We're doing this because we want Toyota to do it," Kramer said.

Jodie Van Horn, coordinator for Plug-in Bay Area, said the goal
of the program is to demonstrate to large auto manufacturers that
both the technology and demand for plug-in hybrids already
exists. The national Plug-in campaign has already gathered more
than 7,000 orders for plug-in vehicles.

Van Horn said the group plans to dangle its database of orders
"like a carrot in front of automakers."

So far, she said General Motors, Toyota and Nissan have only made
plug-in prototypes, but set no production dates. "Whoever comes
out first will have a long list of customers," she said.

Hayse added an order for 10 more plug-ins on Thursday.

"The first one's mine!" he said, noting that "electric cars are
really fun to drive."

"It drives just like a Prius, except at low speeds, it's
completely silent," Kramer said.

Hayse said four months ago, he created a $5,000 incentive at his
company for anyone buying a hybrid car.

"There are already three new hybrids in the parking lot," he
said.

Now, as the "executive champion" of plug-ins at Silicon Valley
Leadership Group, Hayse is working to tempt some of the regional
group's 210 companies to join him.

"We need to reach out to our members and engage them in this
national campaign," said Laura Stuchinsky, the leadership group's
director of transportation and land use.

In the Bay Area, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda and
Marin counties have joined the plug-in campaign to promote the
vehicles.

© Copyright 2006 . All rights reserved.
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter