  1) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) "Petrol and diesel are dead," says GM
  4) Re: Solectria Force Contactor?
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Google presses for 100 MPG vehicle
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  7) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: Google presses for 100 MPG vehicle
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) RE: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: CutOff
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Doers vs talkers, was Otmar is getting rich?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Google Gets It - It's the Plug, Stupid
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) RE: Wanted: Knife switch for battery disconnect [clarification]
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Google presses for 100 MPG vehicle, comments
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Max motor temperatures and temp sender install
        by "Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Max motor temperatures and temp sender install
        by "Mark Eidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Clutch, Keepin' it.
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: EV parts ordered! - ?questions?
        by Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 06:47 -0700, John Wayland wrote:

> the other hand, if you don't enjoy driving and don't enjoy the fun that
> comes with a properly set up clutch, flywheel, and manual tranny, and if
> your EV perhaps is already lacking in fun factor, than go ahead and do
> it...it will add to the home brew effect for sure.

I agree completely. Driving an EV should be a fun experience that's
accessible and enjoyable to everyone, without the weird caveats. Having
to "push the stick and wait" not only isn't fun, it creates a moment of
time in which you're not in control. You're coasting in a vehicle that
is essentially without power and there's nothing you can do about it,
until the transmission decides to slip into gear.

I've noticed that my leisurely shifts naturally take about a quarter
second, less if I'm trying to accelerate quickly.  Even at a relaxed
pace, a clutchless design would make me take 8-10 times longer than I'm
comfortable with.

But there's one point I haven't heard much discussion on, and it's the
abuse of the transmission. When you're shifting a clutchless setup,
you're asking the synchros to take the place of the clutch -- this is
something they were simply never engineered to do on a regular basis.
They were designed to accelerate or decelerate a lightweight clutch
disk, not the mass of an armature.  Some transmissions can take the
abuse, and some can't. The real problem as I see it: how well a
particular transmission will tolerate this mistreatment isn't an
advertised or specified feature, nor can it be easily detected by
analyzing the transmission. Without case studies from others, you don't
necessarily know how long your synchros will last before you'll need to
tear down the transmission and have it rebuilt because you've lost the
ability to change gears.

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The bad thing about removing the clutch from the system is that you also remove the springs in the center of the clutch. You are also removing the torque-peak-limiting feature of the clutch. They put those springs in there for a good reason.

When you go over a pot hole or railroad tracks, HUGE torque spikes travel backwards through the drive train. The clutch center springs and the clutch itself greatly reduce and limit these torque peaks.

If you eliminate the clutch (and its springs) you will shorten the life of the transmission and differential gears significantly. The torque peaks will fatigue the gear teeth and they will chip and fail. The bearings won't like it much either.

        Bill Dube'

>From The ET LIST.

    Posted by: "Remy Chevalier" [EMAIL PROTECTED] cleannewworld
    Date: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:50 pm ((PDT))

"Petrol and diesel are dead," says GM

http://www.celsias.com/blog/2007/06/16/gm-scorns-internal-combustion-engine/#comment-32078
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/225989
http://www.hugg.com/story/GM-Scorns-Internal-Combustion-Engine

General Motors is determined to "remove the car from the environment and
energy debate" in the next 10 years by doing away with the internal
combustion engine altogether.

The world's second largest car company now views hydrogen fuel cell power as
the "the end game," according to its director of advanced technology vehicle
concepts Dr Christopher Borroni-Bird.

Using internal combustion engines is no longer an option, and that includes
diesels and hybrids.

"Hybrids are not a solution," he said. "They just delay the day of
reckoning. The debate about hybrids being cleaner than diesel is
irrelevant - the diesel is a dead end because it uses fossil fuels."

Dr Borroni-Bird said that hydrogen-powered and electric cars would develop
alongside each other, and that GM would have a "cost-effective" fuel cell
car by 2010. It will trial 100 fuel cell Equinox SUVs across the world in a
market test for the car.

GM's first hydrogen production car

Dr Borroni-Bird is part of a team accelerating development of GM's Chevrolet
Volt concept car in an attempt to get it into production by 2010. Last week
the company announced it has signed contracts to begin development of new
high-performance lithium ion batteries, vital to getting an electric car
with a useable range to market.

But there is no guarantee that these batteries will be ready for use in a
production car in three years. Despite this risk, GM is willing to risk
spending millions on developing a car that may not have a viable propulsion
system by the time its ready to go on sale.

Part of GM's strategy is to complete the "electrification" of the car,
replacing mechanical systems with electrical ones such as by-wire braking
and steering. These save weight and cut fuel use, and are significantly
cheaper and easier to fit if the car itself is electrically driven.

This idea, although not exclusive to GM, was previewed in the Autonomy and
Hywire concepts, and opens up possibilities for car development that just
don't exist in those powered by the combustion engine. Electric brakes and
steering can be easily and quickly retuned to individual customer
requirements, for example. "These vehicles aren't just good for the
environment," said Dr Borroni-Bird. "They help make the car better."

But GM does not want to be drawn into the debate over producing electricity
and hydrogen cleanly. "We will build a car that runs on renewable energy,
but it's not our responsibility to produce the fuels," said a GM spokesman.

Dan Stevens

--- Dale Ulan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Is anyone out there familiar with the older
> Solectria Force
> (the ones with the BLDC motor)? I'm doing some
> repairs on
> a controller (rebuilding it, actually - it blew up
> very convincingly
<snip>
> As an aside, the controller appears to have
> capacitor-overheated
> problems in addition to blown-up MOSFET's Is that
> common for
> these? I've only seen the blown-up MOSFET's before.
>
> -Dale

Hi Dale,

I have never worked with Solectria stuff, but did have
a cap heat problem once with a ACIM drive.  Turned out
to be caused by a connection problem in the battery
circuit.  Intermittent open on the source side can
cause large ripple in the caps.  Just a thought
regarding your problem.

Jeff

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265

Jay Caplan wrote:
This argument goes on and on, but I have never heard from anyone who set one
up without a flywheel/clutch, didn't like it, and added it all back.

You can add another to the list of folks who would not own an EV without a clutch.

This is an old argument that comes around about once a year.

If you have ever driven an EV in the mountains you would understand.

John Wayland wrote:
Wonderful...you have to teach someone how not to do the wrong thing for
what is normally one of life's simple pleasures, shift a crisp manual
tranny behind a fun power plant in a car you love. Please everyone,
don't accept the mediocre results of going clutchless. These guys are
giving bad advice if you truly enjoy driving with a manual tranny. On
the other hand, if you don't enjoy driving and don't enjoy the fun that
comes with a properly set up clutch, flywheel, and manual tranny, and if
your EV perhaps is already lacking in fun factor, than go ahead and do
it...it will add to the home brew effect for sure.

It does seem to always come back to the way people see a vehicle. There is the "fun toy" lobby. And there is the "toaster/appliance" lobby.

If you see your vehicle as an appliance it is not supposed to be fun nor enjoyable to operate, simply a necessary evil.

(Oh... almost forgot safety. Just try to downshift while climbing a steep hill with no clutch and traffic close behind)

Roy LeMeur

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_June07
This is outstanding news - I can only hope that local automakers/designers
will take notice...and actually do something.
Chevrolet has already screwed up. Gasoline is $3+ a gallon NOW.  Waiting
until 2010 to begin production.... (insane).
If the "Volt" were available at a "reasonable" price, I might be
interested. Instead, I'm converting a vehicle myself (as are many of us).
I won't need the "Volt" - or anything else these folks might come up with,
because my vehicle will be paid for.
Hard to compare a working vehicle thats paid for with one you're making
300+ a month payments on ...
(unless you just *have to have* that new-upholstery and shiny new
paint-job).

I find the entire term "100mpg plug in hybrid" misleading.

The energy costs of electricity, while less than that of gasoline, isn't
free, but isn't included in this "100mpg" claim.

To say the vehicle gets 100mpg (or whatever) - ignoring the cost of the
electricity, is disingenuous.

This is akin to saying "I've got a free ride" while my car is at the top
of the hill, and I simply push it slightly, to get it started.
"I get great gas mileage (100mpg) going to work, but on the return trip, I
only get 25..."

They need to factor in the costs of electricity.

For example, if a hybrid were designed as follows (and this is a
level-ground example)..
generator+batteries+electric motor -
generator runs at most economical speed, and produces 200 amps of
electricity (at 200 volts).
During parts of the trip (such as acceleration), the vehicle needs 315
amps- during which time it pulls from on-board short-term batteries.
(during up-hill, should the vehicle need more, the gen could go into a
less-efficient, higher output rpm)

During cruising speeds, or slowing down, the generator produces 200 amps
still, but the vehicle, in our scenario, only needs 160 amps, leaving 40
amps for the generator to recharge the batteries if needed.

>From full-tank, to empty tank, from full-batteries, to empty-to-full, the
generator does it all.
Thus, you could say, if this vehicle got 100 mpg, that it was an actual
100mpg.

The way folks with "plug-in hybrids" say "I'm getting great gas milage" -
while it may be true (they're not using gas, or they're "somehow"
stretching it) - the actual fuel-economy is hidden by the "top of the hill
shove" of plugging it in at the house over night.

How can this be accurately calculated?
One way I know how it could accurately be calculated, would be to have the
"plug-in hybrid" be completely recharged by normal driving...(as in, the
generator produces more electricity than needed, and recharges the
batteries to full).

Another way would be to calculate the "fuel costs" of electricy, convert
that to gallons (um, I don't know how to do that) - then say, I'm getting
the *equivalent* of 70mpg (or whatever).
I'd like to see how this "electric conversion to gallons" process would
work out....

Thoughts?

Ed Cooley

"Richard Acuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
06/19/2007 10:13
Please respond to
ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
cc

Subject
Google presses for 100 MPG vehicle

It makes for interesting reading.

Some people at Google are also tired of waiting for Big Auto and Big Gov't

to pull their collective heads out.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/19/news/economy/google_plugin/index.htm?cnn=yes

Rich A.
Maryland

Live Hotmail.

--- Begin Message --- Has anyone running without clutch and flywheel or with direct drive (motor to driveshaft variety) on the street experienced such failures? Obviously an electric motor of reasonable size without flywheel or clutch has a whole lot less rotational mass than an ICE with a 30 pound flywheel, might be a little less of the "between a rock and a hard place" going on.

Anybody know of a rubber donut or something that could go in the driveshaft?

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Dube" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EV parts ordered! - ?questions?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:14:07 -0800
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

> I have a question or two about the fluid heater.  Some others
> commented they are not near as effective or fast as the ceramic
> types and I had vetoed it on my project since I feel our winters in
> STL are cold enough.  I do dread removing the heater box on my Saab!
> So I guess I am interested to know who's heater it is, the cost and
> where you are getting it?

The fluid heater is from metricmind.com. As far as efficiency I
really have no idea, it came with the package and it seems like a
really smooth setup being able to hook directly to the stock heating
system.

Victor, do I need to keep the radiator for cooling the motor and
inverter? Should I have the heater on a separate fluid circuit to
keep the motor and inverter cool without wasting heat from the heater?

> Get a couple pics of your rig up on the EV Album to reserve your
> "EV number"  http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/#  ;-)
I will ;)

TEhben