On Jun 26, 2014, at 8:20 AM, Robert Bruninga via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

>> Are you saying that the main problem with battery electrics
>> is also that most of the power it uses is not renewable?
>
> Careful:  Studies have shown that about HALF of EV buyers also have SOLAR
> or sign up for 100% solar/wind from their utilities.  It is -not- a
> coincidence that those who want to be part of the future of clean energy
> do both.  SO -never-  use the published "utility mix" to derive carbon
> impact of EV's without dividing it at least in HALF even today to account
> for the demographics of EV buyers 50% of which use 100% emissions free
> energy.

Very interesting and promising statistic.

Do you have a cite?

This is the low-hanging fruit. Great to see what people will do given a choice.

Good sign for future of renewables.

As an aside, an OEM rep told me point blank "our customers want renewable
fuels."

>> What % of electricity comes from solar right now?
>
> Though the grid maybe 40% coal in some places, you must apply these
> corrections for EV electricity:
>
> 1) 50% of EV buyers use only 100% renewable energy for charging
> 2) The EV is about 3 times more efficient in total energy per mile than
> gasoline
>
> As a result 40% times 50% times 33% gives only about 7% of EV energy comes
> from coal (and it only gets better every day).  Not the 100% stack
> emissions that the climate change deniers want you to believe.

I don't think that's right either. Too simplistic. GREET model data is better.

>> Right now, there is NO silver bullet.
>
> YES there is! and it is EV's and solar/wind.  When you say "right now" you
> are pessimistically using today's pitiful 2% contribution of solar on the
> grid, but that includes 98% of decades old LEGACY systems.

No, I'm not using that assumption. I am talking about vehicles, not the source
of the energy. I am assuming that one size does not fit all. If you don't
provide a ZEV that works for them, they will use an ICE.

Even for existing ZEV users.

A recent post had a died-in-the-wool BEV user talking about how they
reluctantly had to use their ICE to take someone to the airport.

Point is, you need every emission reduction you can get, and every possible way
to change out the fleet to ZEV. BEVs are just one part of a mix that will
change over time. FCEVs are an important part, too, and in fact expected to
exceed BEVs in the mix. The market and advances in technology will determine
how that eventually looks.