From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of EVDL Administrator
via EV
Sent: Tuesday, 22 July 2014 8:21 p.m.
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] How crazy am I?

Another factor to consider is that while power capability varies by design,
as a general rule, smaller cells are usually capable of lower power output.

For example, the CALB 40ah cells I mentioned are rated for a maximum
discharge of 2C (80 amps).  At 144v, 80a is 11.5kW.  Allowing for losses,
that's only about 12hp from your motor!

Not being a lithium expert, I don't know how much more than this you can
actually draw before voltage sag really kicks in.  But I'm pretty sure that
pushing them too hard will shorten their lives significantly.

If you expect sporty, Mustang-y EV performance, but don't want to carry
around much of a battery, you'll need to find some cells designed for high
power.

The 90ah Winstons I mentioned are rated for only 1C continuous, but they say
you can draw 10C for 10 seconds.  It looks like you then need to allow at
least 50 seconds of either zero or much lower current for the cell to
recover (how often you can do this isn't clear from the spec).  Other folks
here may know how realistic this is, and/or have some recommendations for
high power lithium cells.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
= = = =
Note: mail sent to "evpost" and "etpost" addresses will not reach me.  To
http://www.evdl.org/help/ .