  From: Ben Goren via EV<mailto:ev@lists.evdl.org>
  To: Roger Stockton<mailto:rstock...@delta-q.com> ; Electric Vehicle
Discussion List<mailto:ev@lists.evdl.org>
  Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 4:23 PM
  Subject: Re: [EVDL] Hybrid Mustang: motorcycle drivetrain?

  On Aug 6, 2014, at 1:25 PM, Roger Stockton via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org<mailto:ev@lists.evdl.org>> wrote:

  > I believe you are mistaken.  I think what you need to consider is termed
"overhung load"; this Gates document gives a good overview:

  Roger, thanks for that excellent resource. Obviously, I'm not an ME...but I'm
sure getting a crash course in a tiny subset of the field.

  The document suggests that reducing belt width, increasing pulley diameter
(even while keeping gear ratios constant between the two pulleys), and moving
the belt closer to the bearing all reduce overhung load. Since I'm starting
from scratch with this, I should have no trouble optimizing all three if need
be. In particular, it looks like it shouldn't be any trouble getting the
pulleys practically right on top of the bearing. The document also ends with a
sidebar saying they've got belts with the same geometries as chains that also
have the same load ratings with better life and maintenance.

  I'm thinking it'd be a good idea to see if I can't find somebody at Gates to
help me run some numbers and suggest part specifications. I'd almost
undoubtedly use their belts (I just replaced the disintegrating fan belt on the
Mustang with a Gates belt). I'm not sure that they also make pulleys...but, if
they do, that'd be the obvious choice rather than some other manufacturer or a
machine shop.

  b&