On Sep 27, 2014, at 8:39 AM, fred via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> My first velomobile was equipped with a Stokemonkey.

Some years ago, I gave some serious thought to getting a Quest velo and
electrifying it. This article I just found has an excellent discussion of the
practical and mechanical permutations and tradeoffs...as well as the legal
quagmire you're potentially setting yourself up for.

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2012-10-25/electric-velomobiles-as-fast-and-comfortable-as-automobiles-but-80-times-more-efficient

I still love the idea of an electric velo, but the bureaucracy (registration,
insurance, road right-of-way, etc.), the heat buildup (I'm in Arizona), and the
danger of riding a low-profile un-armored vehicle in the middle of Phoenix
traffic (you wouldn't believe how many red light runners I saw just on one trip
the other day) all conspired to tip the scales away from it for me. But there's
definitely a place for such vehicles, even if it's not in my own driveway.

b&