Peri,

I am wondering if not having a differential but driving each wheel
independently with an electric motor does not create the issue that one would
expect. If you have a solid axle car, and turn a corner, one or both wheels
will scrub the road and the car will try to drive straight forward. The Tropica
electric car, also called the Zebra, the four wheeled fiberglass sports car
looking one, not the three wheeled enclosed Zebra, had an Advanced DC 7" motor
at each rear wheel. A belt drive was used to transfer power from the motor to
the wheel. The suspension was independent at each corner. They did have two
Curtis 400 amp controllers, I am not sure if they were tied to the same
throttle input, or if there was some linking of the controllers. I know some of
the more modern Curtis controllers can be linked to the same model of
controller to power a vehicle with one throttle and two motors. The Tropica or
Zebra owners did not report any problems with making sharp corners. I wonder if
  the "electrical connection" between the motors is not the "straight axle
mechanical connection" that you would suspect. Someone on the list help me here
with a more knowledgeable explanation. A mobility chair or wheel chair has a
controller or controllers that manage the speed and direction of the two drive
wheels to control steering and movement. But did the Tropica (Zebra) circa 1996
have controllers that were just set up for forward travel, or was there some
coordination between the units according to steering position and speed. A
forklift technician may also know the answer. Do forklifts with steerable
wheels need any coordination between two driving wheels. I suspect that the
electric drive of the vehicles, not being 100% mechanical, gives enough
flexibility for turning. Also, a drive axle with a differential with no locking
device, can have one wheel lifted or lose traction, and the other wheel loses
power because it is all transferred to the lifted wheel. I do not t
 hink this will happen with two wheels, each driven with an electric motor. One
wheel with traction will keep transmitting power to the ground, and one that
has lifted will spin also. However, now you have to make sure that you have the
issue of over speeding a motor under control. The Tropica was listed with about
a 60 mph top speed, 7" motor, 72 volts of batteries, and maybe the Curtis
controller was set to limit top speed.

With one controller and two DC motors, each driving separate wheels, I would
think that cabling them in series or parallel would affect the traction and
speed of the motors.

Someone more knowledgeable please jump in............................

Alan

Part of post cut out..........