Ben Goren via EV wrote:
http://www.resilience.org/stories/2012-10-25/electric-velomobiles-as-fast-and-comfortable-as-automobiles-but-80-times-more-efficient

Thanks, Ben! This is an excellent article on the strengths, weaknesses, and challenges in very light human-electric hybrid vehicles.

Some years back I got to see and test-drive the Swiss Twike, which is a vehicle of this type. I got very excited about it, but realized two things:

1. It was a wonderful way to travel -- economical, healthy, clean,
   efficient, fun, etc.

2. The entire bureaucratic weight of our highways, vehicles already
   on the road, traffic laws, and public opinion are all stacked
   against it. At least here in Minnesota, you can't license it,
   and can't safely drive it.

The problems are not with the velomobiles themselves; it is with the laws and public opinion ("get that dammed contraption off *my* road").

--
Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several
thousand things that won't work. -- Thomas A. Edison