>> Well, there are grid-tie inverters down as small as 200W or so readily
>> available, often down to 12v input.
>>

> Yes, though the two I have (Trace Microsine and Enphase) won't work with a
> battery or DC supply as their input.
>
> As Lee said, just about all grid-tied microinverters are designed for a
current limited source, so there's a good chance that they'd have some
issues with a battery when they did the short circuit portion of their IV
curve sweep.  Some of the larger grid-tied inverters do have the ability to
change the parameters to handle non-current limited sources like wind
turbines or such, but I'm not aware of ability to change the software on
the microinverters.