Well the the ratio of panel size to output power for the vehicle does vary
upon speed and usage.  As a builder of a an on-board solar powered boat I
have had great success with it - 4 years worth :-)  My Firefly's motors (
http://www.evalbum.com/3432) are only about 800 watts total power from my
crude homemade panel is 140 watts.  This gives me roughly a 4.:1 ratio of
charge to drive during daylight i.e. it take 4 hours of sunlight to allow
travel for 1 hour.  While that only means 3-4 miles of travel, it's more
than enough to travel to the end of the lake and back.  The boat was
purpose built to fish, cruise and dive off on a small lake so big power or
speed wasn't considered but it is still practical.  Obviously more speed
requires more power and the panel size and weight becomes an issue.  I have
a larger faster electric boat I plan to convert to solar some day (
http://www.evalbum.com/4767) but I expect the charge ratio to be  30:1 if
the boat could maintain full throttle for 1 hour, but likely closer to 10:1
for normal cruising speeds.

Dan Baker

http://www.evalbum.com/3432
http://www.evalbum.com/4767