On Mar 26, 2015, at 9:22 PM, Jamie K via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> It's interesting to note how gas gauges are set up, psychologically. Here's
> one explanation:
>
> http://theappslab.com/2010/12/21/how-does-your-gas-gauge-really-work/

Somehow...I'm not surprised.

The newest car I own is a 1968 VW Westfalia, so it's not a phenomenon I'm
personally familiar with. But I'm still not surprised.

I'm thinking that, between the fuel sensors in modern fuel injection systems
and the power meters in electric motor controllers, it should be trivially to
do some mutual calibration between the relevant systems. If you know you've
shoved five gallons of fuel through the injectors between the time the float
rheostat read this voltage and that voltage...you know that the one voltage
represents five gallons less than the other. Similarly, if you know the motor's
been drawing 8 kW for the past fifteen minutes, you know you've used up 2 kWh
-- and the starting pack voltage represents two more kilowatt-hours of capacity
than the ending pack voltage.

With the chance to re-refine the estimates every time you drive the car.

Really shouldn't be rocket science....

b&