Thanks David...
for pointing out the forgetfulness factor.  Been there, done that.  There are a
couple of fairly simple solutions to that particular problem.  First, a charger
that is set at a low enough voltage to limit that danger.  So far it has been
my experience with this pack that there is not enough of a voltage rise to set
a dumb charger up for this function, but I am considering getting a smart
charger that will do constant current to a specific voltage then shut off.
Another easy solution is a mechanical timer.  I have an e-meter on the
motorcycle so I know how much energy I have taken out.  That makes it pretty
easy to set a timer as a fail-safe.  I think my e-meter may even have an alarm
function that I could use to shut the charger off.
I thought the joke about the tarp was clever :)
Finally, as Cor pointed out, it is my motorcycle which has the 3.4kwh pack on
it now.  Since I have not done lithium before I brought out the old test mule
from under the tarp so that if I do learn from the school of hard knocks, as is
often the case, I will be well educated before investing in a much more
expensive lithium for my truck.  I don't believe I will do the lithium without
a BMS, but that is a decision for some future time.
I have two normal scenarios.  MWF  - round trip to the gym and back 10 miles -
opportunity charge for an hour while I get ready for work then 8 miles to the
office where I have the full day to charge if I like.  Then back home 8 miles.
The other two days of the week I do not do the gym first, so overall this pack
is getting very light duty.  In fact, I think the hardest thing for me to get
used to is not fully charging it.  I'm so used to charging as much as I can
whenever I can that it is a hard habit to break.  In this case though, why get
close to the danger points?  Bad things usually happen to batteries when they
are nearing full or empty.  Keeping them away from those danger zones makes a
lot of sense.  The most stress I am likely to put on them will be if I go to
visit my good friend John Wayland who lives 17 miles of mostly freeway from me.
 It's no problem picking up a charge at his house before I head back home,
though, so even that should not be too bad.
damon