From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of EVDL
Administrator via EV
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2015 9:06 AM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EV facts, coal and shooting ourselves in the foot

Who would have thought even a decade ago that FORD would be issuing
apparently pro-EV news releases?

That said, IMO we need to be a little more careful how we use the Ford
survey data.  It doesn't say that 83% of EV owners are charging their EVs
with PV.  It says that 83% of them HAVE or ARE INTERESTED IN GETTING PV
capacity.  That's a pretty substantial difference.

Regrettably I can't find a web resource that breaks out the have-its from
the wanna-have-its.  So, this number doesn't really tell us anything about
how many current EV owners are charging with alternative energy.

What it does suggest is a strong correlation between EV ownership and
environmental consciousness.

In terms of selling and promoting EVs, you can view this in two ways.  One
is that promoters should "fish where the fish are," and continue pushing
EVs "green cred" or even increase these efforts.  The other is to say that
the way to increased EV adoption is to edge toward promoting their
dollars-and- cents value.

Which is the right EV promotion strategy?  To determine that, we should
look at the reasons that owners bought gas-only "hybrids" 10-12 years ago,
vs why they buy them today.  If we see a substantial increase in Prius and
other non-pluggable "hybrid" sales among cost-conscious buyers over that
decade, that might suggest that at some point (though maybe not yet) we
should swing toward promoting EVs' economic benefits.  If the majority of
non-plug "hybrid" buyers still buy them for their "greenness," that argues
in favor of the first strategy above.

Either way, we have a big job ahead of us to counter the growing negative
PR being dispensed by the traditional energy providers.  They have way
more media clout than we do, and seem to be doing very well at sowing FUD
about EVs supposedly "increasing pollution" with trumped-up, bogus data
about coal fired powerplants.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator

Information: http://www.evdl.org/help/ = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =