On Oct 16, 2015, at 8:35 AM, EVDL Administrator via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> Compared to EVs, they were noisy, stinky, and
> unreliable.  The fuel was hard to get, and dangerous to store.

But there're a lot of big differences today. For one, the whole field of
vehicles was brand-new -- as was the electric grid. For another, oil was
literally dirt cheap; be careless with a pickaxe in Texas and you'd set off a
gusher. The big one was the energy density of batteries...we just now, well
over a century later, have batteries that are _barely_ up to the task of being
built into competitive vehicles, even as the density of gasoline still stomps
all over batteries. Back in the day, with lead acid and iron-nickel the
bleeding edge of technology, there's just no way that you could even have
pretended to have made intercity trips or plowed a field or the like with
batteries -- but, even then, that was trivial with gasoline.

Today, you can buy a new electric vehicle at some of your local dealers. You
can charge it at home for, with rounding, free. Huge numbers of people do so,
and the most-talked-about cars these days, from Tesla, are all electric.

Are there even any fool cell vehicles for sale anywhere in the States? I'm sure
there aren't any H2 stations anywhere near me -- maybe not even within range of
the vehicle. What's the cost of H2 at the pump in those nonexistent places you
can't get it? Are there any fool cell vehicles as cheap and as nice as my
parents's $14K 2013 Leaf? Are there any as sexy as a Tesla? Who's racing fool
cells -- where's the NEDRA equivalent, an Eva in her fastest-sidecar-on-Earth,
or a Formula E? Stop people on the street; all will have heard of Tesla and
will know about EVs...but how many are even aware that Toyota has plans to sell
cars that run on hydrogen?

It's stil early enough in the game that a concerted effort could submarine EVs
in favor of fool cells...but that window is closing fast, and is already almost
closed. Indeed, VW may have just slammed it shut.

b&