Back in the seventies, I experiment with hydrogen.  Did not purchase hydrogen
gas that comes in a pressure tank that I can get from the local welding supply
company that also sells, oxygen, propane and machines that can produce these
gasses.

To produce hydrogen, you use water and KOH (potassium hydroxide).  Add this
mixture into a standard electrolysis vessel that is use to make distill water.
Store the hydrogen gas in a pressure tank.  This same equipment is also use for
making hydrogen gas for cutting torches.

Install the hydrogen tank in a ICE vehicle using standard propane equipment
that I was already running the engine on.  Use a duel fuel carburetor that is
design to run on alcohol and propane.

The hydrogen ignites without any compression, so the engine had to be ignition
retarded to about -2 degrees below top center.  Use a high voltage ignition
system by Pro Start the that reads the ignition resistance and adjust that
voltage to that one cylinder.  It will also continue to pulse the spark plug if
it did not ignite the first time.  This ignition method was use, because as the
hydrogen explodes, it produces water which will foul the spark plug which the
pulse ignition cleans.

Instead of using a engine, this method can also be use in a remote cabin that
has no commercial power source, or even in a EV with the standard battery pack.
 In either of this case, we add a fuel cell that produces the electricity.  In
a EV the standard battery pack is still use,  when the EV stops and parks,
The fuel cell charges the battery at his time.  As the EV is started up, the
fuel cell goes off line and the battery runs the EV.  The REGEN produces the
energy to make more hydrogen.

The standard engine is not a good prime mover for this system.  It was found
that a turbine engine works better.

Roland