I haven't received the article yet, but I suspect that they use that
definition because they are more interested in SOHp, State of Health with
regard to power output for hybrid applications.  This is limited mainly by
an increase in internal resistance, which results in the cells being driven
to higher voltage during charging and lower voltage during discharge,
eventually limiting the power they can deliver without being driven too low
in voltage at the lower part of their SoC operating range. Best to read the
article though rather than speculate.