I also had a similar, but not exactly the same experience. This was way back
when my former S-10 Blazer EV pack configuration was 120VDC using  20x 6V
T125 type PbSO4 wet cell batteries: 8 in the front in two racks of 4, and
the other 12 in one large covered metal box behind the rear seat.

I had just grabbed a couple hour charge at a work site near Trimble Rd and
Hwy 101 in San Jose, CA and was heading on Hwy 101 north at 55 mph a few
miles to get home. I knew I had a few batteries that were using more water,
and their tops were beginning to get discolored, but I figure they still had
several months of life left.

About half-way to my turn off, I smelt sulfur. I turned off the radio, and
heard a slight hissing. The hissing sound increased as I demanded more with
the accelerator pedal.

I could not very well pull over right then to check, so I only pushed the
accelerator down enough to try to keep a highway speed in the right lane
(~45mph) with a plan to get off the highway asap. After I had shut down and
parked, I feared I would not be driving the rest of the way home, and may
need a tow.

I opened the rear hatch window and lifted the heavy metal cover on the rear
pack. Yup, a cell had cooked and another had reversed. There was acid
electrolyte sprayed like a volcano eruption all over the insides of that
battery box of 12 T125-type batteries. I called a tow truck and got my baby
home.

Later after neutralizing a lot of the acid, I cabled past the bad battery
and was able to still drive my Blazer EV. At that time there were no other
battery options for conversions other than PbSO4. I set up an appointment to
bring in my EV, and I decided to spend the money to do several upgrades
besides cleaning up the mess and replacing the pack.

If this had happened today, I too would be considering upgrading to li-ion.
As others know, there is a lot more than needs to happen than just switching
the battery chemistry type. It would be nice if there was a simple
off-the-shelf plug-n-play way to do the upgrade. But usually what is
involved is a new charger, a BMS system that works with that charger, and
then there is sourcing the li-ions.

I found some automotive size 12V li-ion batteries that were designed to try
to make it easy to upgrade
http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/products/12v-80ah-lithium-ion-battery/
But the terminals were different, may not be able to handle the current
demand, and would have to be adapted to, as well as them being 12V so a
serial parallel configuration would have to be considered to try to get
about the same or more kWhrs as the original pack.

But same as a long time ago when there only was PbSO4 available, which
battery to want depends on what your racks were designed for. So you may
have to add a new battery rack to the above todo list.

>From what I read, it seems the best bang for the buck is to get some pih or
EV packs, test and pull the best individual cells, and then build a rack
around them. But that takes a place to work, and the time to do all of that.

Whether you buy individual new li-ion cells or do the less expensive method
(above), this upgrade should be well planned out ahead of time. If you have
a dead battery now, the best solution to get back on the road so you do that
planned upgrade so I suggest: stick with PbSO4 for now.

I hope others will weigh in and give their corrections, opinions, and ideas.

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}