I think there are many reasons to go for efficiency rather than brute strength
in electric vehicles.  If your vehicle is heavy you have to have more batteries
which are expensive.  If you go light and I mean under 1000 pounds you can use
less batteries.  A 15kw battery in a sub 1000 pound car with good aerodynamics
can go over 300 miles.  With a 15kw battery you can charge very quickly with
just a J1772 connector.  The advantages outweigh the disadvantages.  The
challenge is to make it safe.  Racing has given the answer.  5 point harnesses
and airbags.  The Tesla Cruiser Class at the World Solar Challenge has shown
the way.  Technology gets better.  Now 5000 dollars worth of Sun Power solar
cells can do some good but not on my Leaf.  It would take 16 hours...maybe that
isn't so bad....maybe I could build a solar

http://sinovoltaics.com/technology/stella-lux-winner-of-world-solar-challenge-visits-shanghai/
  Seats 4 goes far.  Specifications in the article and it uses off the shelf
solar panels.  Maybe we could build one.  Lawrence Rhodes