Lawrence Rhodes wrote:
I noticed Lee Hart saying he doesn't charge to 100%.  Why.

Simple. I don't need the range. So there's no need to charge it to 100% or run it dead.

And, there are reasons *not* to do it. My experience (with all types of batteries) has been that they last longer if they are not overcharged, and not deeply discharged.

There is no sudden "cliff", where 99% is fine and 101% is destroyed. It's a gradual thing. The higher the state of charge, the shorter the life. Likewise on the discharge side. The deeper the discharge, the shorter the life. The exact relationship varies between batteries, and is unknown for new unproven designs.

Thos True via EV wrote:
...a Nissan engineer told me that the BMS on board the Leaf was
designed to limit both charging and discharging to protect the
integrity of the battery pack...

I'm sure that Nissan has included a safety factor in what their instrumentation says is 100% and 0% state of charge. I also think Nissan believes what they are saying and doing is "right".

But, I also believe that the auto companies have very little real-world experience with EVs and batteries. Nissan's customers already got burned by shortened battery life and range due in hot climates on the earlier Leafs. I know that their instrumentation is poor, and their idea of a "battery heater" is woefully inadequate for Minnesota weather.

So, I will take the auto companies' advice with a grain of salt. After all, who will have to pay if their advice turns out to be wrong? Not them!
--
Knowledge is better than belief. Belief is when someone else does
your thinking.  -- anonymous