From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Roger Stockton
via EV
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 3:21 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Off-grid solar house and electric car charging

Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Yes, as far as VOLTS and as AMPS as averages are concerned.  Such as
> average power.  A 1500W resistor will be 1500W whether on DC or RMS AC.
>
> But the power loss in wires feeding that resistor will have greater
> loss on AC because of two factors important in distribution systems:
>
> 1) SKIN EFFECT where the AC current is pushed to the outside of the
> wire so that not all the wire is carrying the same current.  Thus the
> wire is not as effective since not all of its copper is being used in
> an AC system

The skin depth in copper at 60Hz is 8.47mm; this means that until you are
using a conductor with a diameter greater than 2 x 8.47mm = 16.94mm (about
0.67"), the AC resistance is the same as the DC resistance.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect>

> 2) Peak power losses.  As you note, the RMS current  is the same, but
> the PEAK current is 1.4 times higher during the peak of the waveform
> and since that is where the most power is delivered that is also where
> the most loss occurs in the wire.  So the average power lost in the
> wire for AC is almost twice (1.4 squared) the loss in the same wire at
DC.

> Google it...

"For a cyclically alternating electric current, RMS is equal to the value
of the direct current that would produce the same power dissipation in a
resistive load."
 - <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square>

Cheers,

Roger.