On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 6:58 PM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> IMO, L3 should be ~50mi apart. This is for several reasons:
> - Short range EVs can use it (i.e.: iMiev)
>
> - as packs age their capacitiy is reduced, so even a tired (less than 90mi)
> Leaf pack charging from 10% to 80% (70% or 90mi = ~60mi) could utilize the
> L3 EVSE.
>
> - when the weather is cold, non/less thermally controlled packs will have
> less range, so keeping the distance between L3 EVSE ~50mi will still work
> for them

At least for my 2011 LEAF with 8 capacity bars remaining, 50 miles is
way too far apart.

An 80% charge only takes me about 30 miles to LBW. To turtle I might
have another 12 miles more. This is while driving at 65mph in good
weather.

If it were cold, wet or windy, it'd be even less.

So IMO, 25-30 miles apart would be better (funny enough, this is
typically about how far apart gas stations in rural areas)
For EVs with more range, they would be able to skip locations.

Tesla has started doing something interesting with their network.
Instead of evenly spreading out stations to add capacity, they have
started putting pairs of stations within a few miles together. IMO,
this makes a lot of sense. That way if one is counting on getting to a
charging station, but for some reason that station is down, busy or
whatever, they should almost certainly make it to the next one a
couple miles down the road.

Dave