I think a smart cruise control would be nice but I have not seen it yet.  If
there was a system that would allow you to say gain 15 to 20 kph (mph?) on down
slopes and then not engage again until you dropped to say minus 5 kph on the
upslope that might emulate what drivers do when they hyper-mile.

I do wonder about your statement that using cruise control is always less
efficient.  On my smart car it will not toggle between using power and
generating power if the grade is such that it can coast.  There is no mode
where regen is actually using power, it may not be much but regen always adds
electrons back to the battery.  In hilly terrain where you can coast over the
speed limit down and use the momentum to climb back that would preclude using
the cruise control but that seems to be a driver decision and not a ‘cost’ of
using it.

Lawrence