Hi Bruce,
I have a bit of experience in transporting a Leaf, since my first Leaf
was picked up in SoCal
(only 1 mile away from the Mexican border, literally exit 1 on highway
5, where the lot of
an insurance company had it stored) and so when I went to get it, I
borrowed the light truck
from a colleague, attached the tow dolly that I had bought a couple
months earlier since I had been
picking up 2 Prius'es in the previous months as well and the great thing
of a second hand tow dolly is
that there is no cost: you can sell it at the same price as you buy it,
there is no registration needed and you can
tow it with any vehicle you like, unlike U-Haul who are very strict with
what type of towing
vehicle is used, besides charging you a good chunk of cash.
Anyway, I drove 500 miles south with the empty tow dolly, slept a few
hours in a Motel 6,
picked up the Leaf and drove another 500 miles north with the Leaf in
tow. LA traffic made my trip
many hours longer than hoped for, but within 30 hours of leaving I made
it back with Leaf.

So, in my opinion the best way to transport an EV long distance is to
come with a vehicle that has
a 2" ball hitch, you may or may not bring a tow dolly, and return with
the EV on a tow dolly,
it is probably worthwhile to compare the options with different vehicles
regarding fuel cost
and sleeping arrangements.
Since I still have a tow dolly and do not care too much if I keep it or
sell it with the Leaf, that is
likely the most cost effective way to transport *if* you are not
counting your own time.
Else, a transporter is likely the most efficient and cost effective, but
I have not priced that out.
When I needed to pick up the Leaf, it was a deal that essentially went
like: can you come tomorrow?
OK, then the car is yours. So, I went.