Hi People.
Here's My recumbent tandem experience and links, plus a bit of history.

There is more detail in the used email but I've left it in, ignore it by all means.

I'll add a few numbers for the resident geek or maybe two.

The Back to back cycle has traveled over 20000 km around the South Island, mostly unpowered , with only about 2000km using a 2 stroke and later 4 stroke weed wacker motor, driving via a worm drive gearbox to help on hills. I went to the 4 stroke for good green reasons but found the 4 stroke engine gutless. We've done about the same distance on the back to back cycle using a now mothballed 48 volt 1200 watt electric motor.

In the TV video we were using an earlier 500 watt 24 volt mid drive electric bicycle motor.
As was noted it was hopeless!
We swapped that motor for the 48 volt 1200 watt version of the same type.
We also later used 240 watts of semi flexible solar panels which were much lighter providing a total human plus electronic range of 120 km. While this motor had the power when geared down it had a very annoying drill press like sound when running. Apparently coming from straight cut gears in its planetary gearbox.as a "perfectionist" this sort of noise upsets me. When I go out cycling without the sight-seeing, I at least want a good soundscape. So after a bit of experimenting and mucking around we basically built the silent pusher trailer to push both the back to back cycle and later the Three wheeler. Initially on the trailer as a one wheeled trailer I used a 48 volt 1000 watt direct drive nine continents hub motor set up as a mid drive motor. Taking the hub out of its wheel and running a chain to the rear 16 inch wheel, providing 1.4 reduction with minimal noise . This motor was actually in the bed of the trailer and so meant little room for the dog!

However with its 30 ah 48 volt battery we had great hill climbing and a 75 km range, with two 80 kg people a 20 kg dog and 40 kg of cargo. Although with an average touring speed of only 18 kph.

Finally I took this 1000 watt motor and employed it plus another identical motor on the four person four wheeler.These again driving via chain reduction the rear wheels, independently. Hence this cycle has 2000 watts of continuous power available. In fact it draws only about 280 watts on average, with us pedaling and up to 2400 watts on steep hills. Meanwhile, the now three wheeled trailer has been fitted with a 48 volt, 1500 watt direct drive hub motor, this time still in its rim. Where it typically draws about 180 watts, again on average.

Both the pusher trailer and four person cycle drive systems provide excellent regenerative braking so don't even require the sometimes squeaky disk or drum brakes.

I deliberately kept the maximum motorized speeds around 24 kph on all three recumbent cycles. The four person four wheeler and two person three wheeler will soon be fitted with 400 and 200 watt solar arrays respectively. Thus Allowing us to cycle tour without requiring grid connected campsites, the best type!

Cheers   Verne.  Ph 07 8564853 cell 027 5561333.

Links to the youtube clips...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnVsJcKW0j8

Janus quad cycle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKEoWzh0e6g