Vinyl wrap is similar to some of the protective films but not identical. I
don't believe any heat shrinking is used for Xpel clear films. Xpel is also
thicker and more resilient making it more effective against rock chips and
scratches. There are some pretty impressive threads with photos on the Tesla
Motors Club forums showing how effective clear protective wraps like Xpel can
be. To my eye, Xpel looks a lot like the flexible clear protection films that
are available for mobile phone screens in that it provides scratch/gouge
protection and probably a little bit of impact protection.