"The interesting thing about this carbon brief map is that my 5kw array
is not listed. "
I just looked at the map and I noticed that at least for Wisconsin (my home)
and Minnesota, there is a yellow dot near the center of the state that
represents the installations under 1 MW.  I think that for WI it represents
34MW and for MN 35MW or something close).  So I suspect that many small PV
systems are being included, although it is hard to tell how they might  be
reported.  But I didn't find an equivalent green dot on the wind maps for small
systems so it seems they are ignoring all the small wind energy systems.
Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI