I see this all the time when I go up to the ski hill.  I start about 80% at the
bottom, arrive with 40% or so and then when I get back down I am back to 60%
(all rough figures but in the ball park).  Without the recovery on the way down
I would probably need to stop and charge on the way home.  My smart ED gets
about 100km / charge and one days I go up the mountain the estimator suggest my
total range is more like 125 to 130 km so yes, up and down the mountain seems
to be pretty much a zero sum option, expensive up but enough recovery down so
my total range for the day stays about the same.

Regards,
Lawrence Harris
lhar...@haritech.com