Hi David,

The pictures that Jay posted show the brushes very well. They are installed in
pairs, in 4 locations. In 2 locations, the brush nearest the end of the motor
had braids that were worn, or corroded, or somehow damaged. On the brush where
the braid was completely gone, it actually looked like some corrosion (slightly
green). On the other brush, the braid was broken somehow (frayed). It didn't
look melted.

I agree that I probably have a controller problem. I also understand that Kelly
controllers are not the highest quality, so I'm not too surprised. I think the
controller is putting out a maximum of 60-70A or so, which is barely adequate
at full battery voltage, but really pitiful when at low voltage. I hope to
confirm that before spending money to replace the controller. Thanks for the
ideas on dummy loads. I think that's exactly what I need.

The motor rotation and brush timing is correct for the Honda. When I bought the
car, it wasn't and the brushes and brush holders were damaged. The first thing
I did was get all that fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Mike