Classic statements from an entrenched player caught in a disruptive market.
"The new thing is too expensive and doesn't do everything it should" until
suddenly it does, and offers new benefits.

I'm actually hoping the Toyota/Mazda joint venture works out because I have
always liked Mazda cars and I was concerned they were being left behind.

However, I'm not convinced that Toyota is taking this seriously enough.  Time
will tell.

Mike