The battery is not the only thing that supplies current to the motor.
The switching of the controller connects the motor to the battery for a
period of time,
followed by a period where the "freewheel" (diode or transistor) inside
the controller
carries all the current, also during the time that the motor is
connected to the battery,
it is not just the battery but also the capacitors in the controller
that provide the current.
Wiring the motor to the contactor instead of to the controller itself,
creates a large loop
and increases the inductance which can affect the operation of the
controller, besides creating
a lot of noise from the high frequent switching and the large "antenna"
loop created by the
wiring conncted to different points.
Some people even twist the motor leads together to minimize the
effective area inside the
loop created by the two motor leads, to further reduce the noise
radiated from the
output of the controller.
especially nearby sensing wires such as throttle control or sensor
inputs can be affected
by hundreds of volts fast-switching nearby and generating large amounts
of noise due to
improper wiring.