With these controllers, it is essential that the field be reversed and that the
armature be connected directly to the controller’s B+ and A2 terminals, because
the plug diode inside is connected to these terminals. Some vehicles,
especially those previously using older, resistor-type controllers, may reverse
the motor armature rather than the field winding.

Sent from my iPhone