Cor, Paul, thanks for the replies!  I forgot about the freeewheeling
diode(s).

So I'll connect it the way the manual says.

Still ...

I recall some discussion years ago about fixed frequency 15kHz+ Curtis
controllers having trouble with current limiting on large, low inductance
motors.  It caused the combination to have jerky starts, or worse.  The way
Lee Hart explained it was that the low resistance meant that the current
didn't have time to decay enough when the chopping transistors were off
(because it was a very short time), so the current just kept rising insead
of being properly limited.

If that were the crucial factor here, I would think that extra resistance in
the motor loop would HELP.  But obviously not, because we're always advised
to keep the motor leads as short as possible.

I hate to sound dense (even though I am), but while I can understand that
connecting the motor lead at the contactor (or other point ahead of the
controller common terminal) could change the way the controller "sees" the
motor, I still don't fully understand what specific problems that might
cause.  Maybe the earlier discussion about motor loop impedance / resistance
isn't relevant here?

Thanks again!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator