I've noticed that if I leave my Volt plugged in and the outdoor temperature
gets very high or very low the Volt will occasionally draw power for 10-15
minutes.  I assume this is the thermal management system working to keep the
batteries at their "optimal" temperature.
http://www.vanderwal.us/energy/Volt-ico.png
What I'm wondering is how important is this (if any) to extending the life span
of the batteries?
I'm guessing that when it's cold out, keeping the batteries warm just improves
performance and that it won't hurt the batteries to spend a few hours at 20 deg
F.
However, what happens when it's 90 deg out?
The reason I'm asking is if it's not critical when the car is parked, I'd like
to avoid wasting 1-3 kwh a day.  I can always re-enable the EVSE before driving
the car so the batteries will be at their designed temperature when being
discharged.