I suspect you may find that the Volt still uses energy to keep the battery
within its desired temperature range, but simply uses battery energy instead of
EVSE energy.  You should be able to detect that by watching the range after the
car sits unplugged or the EVSE is disabled, compared to range after the car
sits with the EVSE providing power overnight.

Tesla definitely uses battery energy to keep the batteries in an environmental
range.  They actually use the battery energy directly and only trigger a
recharge cycle when the battery range has dropped 10 miles.  In my garage, that
would probably be every 2-3 days.  I usually drive it every day and notice that
it dropped 2-3 miles from the last charge ending range.

Mike