On 25 Jan 2018 at 15:39, Peter VanDerWal via EV wrote:

> I assume this is the thermal management system working to keep the
> batteries at their "optimal" temperature ... how important is this (if
> any) to extending the life span of the batteries?

I'm far from a lithium expert, but I've read that while lead batteries lose
performance at low temperatures, cold can wreck lithiums if you're not
careful.  As I understand it, they should never be charged when their
temperature is below freezing.  I think that even discharging them gets
risky if they sink too far below 0 deg C.

They also degrade faster (have shorter lives) when they get hot while fully
charged.  They don't seem to like being fully charged at all.  The rule of
thumb I read years ago for laptop batteries was that you should store them
at 50-70% SOC.

So I'd guess that thermal management is probably pretty important for your
Volt's battery.

BTW, welcome back to the EVDL, Peter.  It's been years since we've heard
from you. Good to know you're OK.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator